Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
11,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe.. Read on...

Presumably they will have maxed out their domestic storage capacity, available cash and multiple credit cards fairly soon.

There must be a limit to the amount of Andrex, value baked beans and pasta that fits in the airing cupboard and kids bedrooms.

When the full lockdown comes they will just have to sit indoors wallowing on the poundstretcher sofa next to the tower of bog roll, hand sanitiser, pizza and crisps.

Thanks to their excellent planning skills they will also have to start paying off the panic shopping splurge long before people who didn't act like idiots once the red credit card bills start arriving on the doormat in a few weeks.

At that point the shops will quieten down, gradually restock and normal people can shop normally, albeit with the necessary and sensible hygiene precautions. ?

Thankfully we also won't have to mix, talk or interact with the idiots for some considerable time until their huge store of crap diminishes and they venture out again, skulking around with collars turned up and wearing dark glasses. Another real blessing in disguise. ?

The supermarket reverse price escalator idea is also a good one. So instead of BOGOF offers (which I hate and encourage excess) we have.

Buy 1, 2 or 3 at normal price, but buy more than that and the price per extra unit doubles with each 1.

Milk £1 pint example.

3 pints = £3
4 pints = £5
5 pints = £9
6 pints = £17
7 pints = £35
8 pints = £67

Very easy to program into the tills.

A couple of repurposed cartoons to cheer your quarantine and self isolation while you get on with that insight project.

I'm off to my isolated private island with a few friends before the scone riots start. Please form an orderly queue..

4) Finally the world's largest village 'Cottingham' has just erected a Coronavirus precautions tourist information sign.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
This disease was not covered in America we don’t have a “”channel 4 news””.

over 100 people a day were dying in China and they covered the Kobe Bryant death for a week.

on the other hand I was watching CGTN and seeing people dying in the street and they quarantined 720 million people. To get control of virus.

Our politicians were trying to get famous impeaching our president. Who is not a rocket scientist. So for the last three months America made no preparation at all for the epidemic. The Chinese people knew it was on its way here and they knew it would be unbelievable.

but anyway I have friends who work at the hospital. A month ago they were told to buy a months worth of supplies. That was towed to the hospital workers not to the American public.

The reason why the disease will be everywhere here in America like it already is. If you are not in a store buying food every few days you may get away from the infection longer.

I started buying my food two months ago. A lot of people have rolled their eyes at me. But I had CGTN they didn’t. Just two weeks ago local TV radio station had a pharmacist on not a doctor. Saying there was nothing to itBut it is like the flu. It’s almost a 10% death rate in Italy now. That’s 100 times worse than the flu.

I asked one of the people who went to the California Drive in not to go multiple times. I’ve known for a long time how bad this thing is CGTN—-4 o’clock news—-med cram. are good of sources of information.For the last three months

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Anyway the hospital workers were told to stock up a months worth of food. And that won’t be enough. This disease will be around for the next two years until everyone gets it.

why two years they looked at other models of disease spread. Theoretically they think it will take two years. There are no crystal balls to tell the future.

America is so unaware of this disease. College kids still went on spring break to Florida. And that’s college kids or what I would call idiots.

but if you don’t know you don’t know so there you go.

·
Super Moderator
8,230 Posts
I don't think we really know whether the "overstockers" were fools or not - we can't see the future. If you had ask a person of above average wealth in Venezuela say a few years ago why he was exchanging his local paper currency for gold and silver coin, he might have said he saw currency collapse coming. His action would probably have been viewed by many of his friends as alarmist, but turns out he was correct. I'm sure there were some there who did that and they can now buy fuel and food.

There are several social, household, economic, and political courses this thing could take and seems to me we don't really know which course, or societal courses, will evolve:
1. The virus could run it's course by July, cases fall sharply, and economic units(nations) mostly recover. An adjusted form of life returns with some long term increase in working from home. Lingering high rate of "hardship" dependency.
2. The virus does not fall back to acceptable risk levels, the quarantines remain, in plant work remains closed, bankruptcies rise rapidly, governments begin to fail, "survivalism" sets in, people start killing for food, guns and ammo.

These are opposite extremes and the outcome probably lies somewhere in between, depending on location, population density, social mix and other factors.

In the end, far as humans are concerned, the wisdom of the Welsh poet Dylan Thomas prevails, "Do not go gentle into that good night."

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Lets chime in about a week,when we start to reach a peak,am one of the early preppers so now i dont have to deal with the crazy weekend rush.Rather safe than sorry,everyone deals with a crisis in their own way.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Watch CGTN try and look at episodes from three months ago back in January 3 on YouTube. Check out your own channel 4 news in England.

A lot of people think it’s just the flu it’s going to be 3o to 200 times worse depending on location in America. Than the flu. Flu kills less than 1%. This stuff will be Killin 20% in some locations. Because our hospitals will not be able to take the tsunami of patients-
doctors and nurses do not have PPE’s or mask to protect themselves.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,695 Posts
How about taking a breather Nathan. Get away from the negative stuff for a while and you will feel a lot better.

·
Administrator
11,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You will all be glad to know i have updated my customer service charter in the current crisis.

If you are depressed, fragile, can't take a joke etc then do not read this!

'Coronavirus Customer Service Charter.'

We employ people to work and get the money for it. That’s all.

We do not employ people to monitor performance and check breaches of a Charter with consequent compensation of £50 a day, provided access to the premises was allowed and Civil Disorder or Panic Buying was not in progress.

We will probably come when we say, but do not dismount your bicycle, eject the dummy from the pram, or post a pathetic whinge on social media if we are classified as 'non essential', locked down by Boris and don’t.

There will not be a customer satisfaction survey following the installation, if it doesn’t work, you are still alive, society hasn't broken down, and the phones still work, then we will presume you have the sense to tell us.

We have certain legal obligations which we will abide by; we will not murder you or steal things (unless you have a moronic stockpile of toilet roll or pasta), and we expect the same courtesies in return.

We answer the phone and look at messages if we’re not busy, dead, or not there. You will not get a compendium of other numbers to press. Nor will you receive Greensleeves on the Stylophone or someone droning on giving helpful advice on social distancing and entertaining the family.

We do not seek to thrill and delight you, better leave that to the excitable crowds jostling for the last can of baked beans in Morrisons or your now solitary non existent sex life. Satisfaction is not guaranteed, you are not even guaranteed to live through the installation period, especially if you look a bit peaky when we call.

We will not be emblazoned with names, it can only be of marginal interest to you that 'Chas' was there and not 'Dave'. We do not hope you have a nice day, you probably do not need to be told, and anyway may well be having a day wallowing in self pity at the bleak future of humanity. We don’t care either way. You are not the most important person in the world, we are, or more specifically, I am.

We do not have a customer service department. We have an office where it is all done, except accounts. Ask for accounts if you have to, but they are not a debating society with all the time in the world to hear about your dire financial situation, that’s what paracetamol and the Citizen’s Advice Bureau is for.

You will not be called Sir Or Madam, If that’s what you like, then if posh restaurants ever reopen dine out at eighty pounds for a bowl of mushroom soup with crusts on. Keep out of the way of our staff. They are chosen for taciturnity, their ability to work, and not having a cough or temperature, not social graces.

They definitely do not need advice. In return they will leave you alone to get on making the Lasagne, doing the ironing or deciding which item on the lengthy lockdown DIY job list you should tackle first with your rickety ladder and power tools.

This does not affect your statutory rights, because you don't have any anymore and aren't allowed out to complain anyway.

Peter Perkins CEO

·
Super Moderator
8,230 Posts
Peter, you are already getting bored :LOL:

Reactions: retepsnikrep

·
Super Moderator
8,230 Posts
Just came back from "essential" shopping. Suited up with my long coat and hood, .1 micron mask, gloves, and eye protection, and went to Costco. No shampoo, incontinence products, bog roll, cheap cuts of meat left, but plenty of stuff left for the adaptable. (Insight ownership a strong plus because, god knows, we are adaptable.)

I went for the senior hour between 8:00 & 9:00 local. The seniors were all civil and social distancing. We even smiled at each, no gunfire.

Since I already have COPD I even had my hood up - so folks gave me my distance. Gasoline ridiculously cheap at $1.45/gal. Filled the Civic Hybrid, just in case.

We been isolated for a couple of weeks now, even before there was a reported case in our county. Getting very bored:(

·
Administrator
11,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not by choice I'm either going to become teetotal or a consummate wine buff in the next three weeks. ? Why I hear you ask?

Simple. Because all the cheap/value/essentials low/medium grade stuff has been hoovered up by all the latent alcoholics amongst us (mainly my friends), and the supermarket shelves are as empty as the French vineyards echoing cellars.

So it's £20 a go Mouton Rothschild 1946 from the top shelf with the security tags on, rather than the £5 plonk on the bottom shelf near the grubby floor that you used to quaff with gay abandon as you gargled down your value pizza whilst lounging on the sofa in front of 'Love Island'.

I'll have to hold back on the guzzling, and sip and savour these expensive vintages, perhaps even read the labels and Google the producer. Learn to speak 'wine-ease' it's a bit like Chinese and equally incomprehensible unless your a native speaker in the art of talking bollocks about wine, or pontificating about grape varieties and hours of sunshine in the upper Loire valley.

Unfortunately it also means I might develop expensive tastes and a predilection for the finer quality and bouquet that exists on this higher shelf. I therefore might be unable to attend a friends party or relatives wedding ever again if £5 stuff that emerges from a Lidl carrier bag in the boot of a car is being proffered as 'easily drinkable' by mein host.

Instead of smuggling value plonk into do's in a vain effort to save £20 on the house white, it will now be an indiscreet brown paper bag or capacious lady companions handbag that conceals a cheeky bottle of 'Screaming Eagle Sauvignon Blanc' at £5000 a pop.

·
Super Moderator
8,230 Posts
You mean there that there are no "pretentious little wine of no particularly breeding" available?? Sad, I always had such fun tossing that phrase about among my wine buddies.

Best wine I ever drank, the 1982 Ducru Beacaillou. Ancient past, but back around 1984 the Bordeaux were relatively cheap in the futures market. Friends and I loaded up. The Ducru was $32.50 - most I EVER paid for a bottle of wine. Since I was a working stiff, my conscience hurt me and I had thoughts of what damage I was doing to my daughter's college fund and my retirement savings. All gone now and I hate to even think what a bottle would get today, now that we have to compete with Chinese business moguls, Russian oligarchs, and Saudi princes. I think I can remembers some of the descriptive terms the reviews used, but it would just make me cry more to use the words. One friend who never minced words just said "bon merde.";)

At least I had the experience - couldn't do it any more.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Best bottle of wine: Ice cold Boone’s Farm out of a paper bag on a hot summer day shared with a bathing-suited sweetheart on a boat in the middle of a lake. Almost makes me weep to think about it!

·
Super Moderator
8,230 Posts
Yeah, when my honey and I were sitting at a picnic on the lawn some 60 years ago, we sneaked in a bottle of cheap Portuguese Rose past the elders. That was much lovelier than an expensive Bordeaux with my male friends. Must have worked, still got the same honey :)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
  1. We had a Grape vine in my backyard when I was a kid. The dog thought it was a water hydrant.
  2. later on it was removed and we put in a swimming pool.Then people thought it was a water hydrant.
  3. Then we moved left paradise behind. I had to go to a new school When I was 11 years old. My classmates thought I was a water hydrant.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts