Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I hear insane rattling at this point whenever I'm hitting a bump. To me, it really sounds like sway bar end links, but I'm also definitely **** with cars, so I could be wrong. I've had bad end links before and it sounded exactly the same, except this amount of rattle is x100. The other problem, that is probably way worse in the bigger picture(end links are just annoying), is that the car feels like it's hitting a wall when hitting a decent sized bump. I'm not sure if it's related, but the door is having a hard time opening and closing, I'm not sure if impact over time with horrible suspension has somehow caused the door issue. Also hard to tell if the slow leak/bent rim on the front tire might be due to the suspension being crap over time or if I just hit a speed bump or something particularly hard.

My biggest question and the reason I'm starting this thread is wondering if it's even worth it at this point to start putting a lot of money into suspension parts and labor(won't be able to do work myself) when the car already has 240,000 miles on it. It's a beast of a car to doordash in, so I'd like to keep it around as long as possible but I'm conflicted about putting $1000+ into suspension costs. Was hoping to hear opinions from the community.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Insight Automatic
191 Posts
Not sure where you live currently but if you are in LA county, literally the best insight mechanic is in your area.

I'm not sure what he charges, but that's his website and it'll probably be better to go to him and get his opinion than to try to describe the noises and problems you're having over text. He even makes his own front and rear springs, since he didn't like the originals. I'm sure he can advise you pretty well on your car.

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
Yes it is absolutely worth it. I replaced all the suspension components on my 350k citrus and it made a world of a difference. Just don't forget to get scotts rear springs.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Most of the suspension stuff is pretty cheap if you do the work yourself.

I'm finishing up with fixing up Citrines suspension. She's at 260k miles and she's getting:

Sway bar links
Tie rod ends
Shocks
Scotts springs
Bump stops
Lower control arm
1" lift kit from Scott
Wheel bearings

Don't forget to order new bump stops when you buy the shock. Swapping the springs is pretty easy with the AutoZone loaner spring compressor. Just make sure you put it on the springs and it's locked in for safety.

Plant Automotive tire Grass Revolver Camera accessory

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have been experiencing the same clicks when the large rear bushing on the control arm takes a crap. If you feel the click in the footwell near the clutch when driving around bumps, I'm willing to bet its the control arm. I just changed mine yesterday.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure where you live currently but if you are in LA county, literally the best insight mechanic is in your area.

I'm not sure what he charges, but that's his website and it'll probably be better to go to him and get his opinion than to try to describe the noises and problems you're having over text. He even makes his own front and rear springs, since he didn't like the originals. I'm sure he can advise you pretty well on your car.
Unfortunately, I'm nowhere near there. I'm in Ohio.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most of the suspension stuff is pretty cheap if you do the work yourself.

I'm finishing up with fixing up Citrines suspension. She's at 260k miles and she's getting:

Sway bar links
Tie rod ends
Shocks
Scotts springs
Bump stops
Lower control arm
1" lift kit from Scott
Wheel bearings

Don't forget to order new bump stops when you buy the shock. Swapping the springs is pretty easy with the AutoZone loaner spring compressor. Just make sure you put it on the springs and it's locked in for safety.

View attachment 99102

Do you have a link for the bump stops you're getting? I'm ordering almost everything from Rock Auto, if I do decide to replace it all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been experiencing the same clicks when the large rear bushing on the control arm takes a crap. If you feel the click in the footwell near the clutch when driving around bumps, I'm willing to bet its the control arm. I just changed mine yesterday.
I'm not really feeling it in the clutch very much. Whatever it is, it isn't providing any vibrations that I notice, almost as if it's a part that's just loose and dangling on the car. I'm pretty convinced it's the sway bar end links but I also wouldn't put money on it. lol

·
Registered
302 Posts
Do you have a link for the bump stops you're getting? I'm ordering almost everything from Rock Auto, if I do decide to replace it all.
I bought the control arms, sway bar links, CV axles, and tie rocks from RockAuto. The upgraded springs are $100 a set from Scott. You have to buy the front shocks by themselves. If the bolts super rusted, you should buy more of those. The bump stops and the shocks can be purchased from majestic Auto parts or another Honda dealer. You will need to reuse all the top parts from the shocks.

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
1,663 Posts
Definitely worth suspension upgrades. I did new suspension components all around but for front control arm at around 300k plus and the car rides like new. Scott’s springs from and rear. Gaz shocks and Honda struts up front. New swaybar end links. The difference is nothing short of astounding.

·
Linsight Designer
4,140 Posts
My recent (diagnostic only) experience (so far):
When I hit bumps in the road, the loud 'thunk' I thought was coming from the front is actually originating in the worn out rear bushings.
My first repair step will be to replace the rear bushings to see how much the performance improves.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Get someone to help you. It is really incredibly easy to replace sway bar links. Seriously, a cave man could do it. Do you have the time or will? I am doing brake lines at the moment. I wouldn't suggest anyone doing those because they are more complicated than just replacing. They are dealing with rust, which complicates matters to the point where you just want to scream.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts