Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...does the Gen II Insight get just as good mileage with the windows down as up? With the arrival of warmer weather, and especially humidity lately, I've found it difficult to run with windows up and no AC, but I also am aware of the Mythbusters segment proving that (generally) a car with windows up and AC running equals or exceeds the fuel economy with AC off and windows down. My 2013, however, must be one aerodynamic little wagon, because in my last two tanks of fuel--total of 670 miles (not full tanks) and average 59+ mpg--when I've run with the front windows all the way down I've not noticed any increase at all in fuel consumption. Might be a trick of a certain wind, but I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth. In northern Ohio, we get a lot of mid 80s in the summer, which I can stand with the windows down and no AC. In fact, I've had this Insight since January and have yet to turn on the AC.

Very cool engineering!

·
Registered
811 Posts
I have been running with windows down for 3 years and no A/c. Windows up or down seems not to make a difference in MPG , but the AC takes down 20% - I have a gen 1... added thing is with windows down I cannot speed too much- car becomes very noisy...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I run with the A/C maxed cold, I like to see just how cold I can get it, and I am getting 40mpg. Cant wait for autumn when I dont need to run the A/C and see some numbers closer to yours.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I don't understand how people can get above 45mpg on a tank of gas.. I rarely break 42mpg... But then again, I don't draft, hypermile, etc. And I guess the roads in California contribute to lower mpg with all the hills and such..

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Hybrid drivers are "special" Which is to say that they are a crazy as some folks think they are. Or a least some of them are. My wife, who primarily drives our Insight has never had the A/C off. She finds the auto climate control confusing and just keeps cranked all the way to low.

As an aside, for those of us crazy in this other extreme, using the Sport mode in traffic will keep the auto stop from engaging and keep that compressor running and blowing cold air.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't understand how people can get above 45mpg on a tank of gas.. I rarely break 42mpg... But then again, I don't draft, hypermile, etc. And I guess the roads in California contribute to lower mpg with all the hills and such..
Pretty flat here. I try never to accelerate faster than needed to get out of somebody's way, and whenever I approach a stop or turn, I look behind me to see just how far I can coast without touching the gas. If I didn't live 1.5 miles from a major shopping area and make several super short trips down there each week, I'd consistently average over 60 mpg in warmer temps. As a retired person, I have to get my fun any way I can, and hyper-miling (kind of) is fun!

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
When I drive with the windows open I only do it a few inches, plus I have the visiors that help to deflect some of the air. Ive see a god 15 mpg drop with ac vs windows. Now windows open vs close, no difference. Sometimes Ill just crack the passenger side to keep the noise out of my ear.

My personal lowest is 36mpg.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
In general, the rule I use is windows down AC off if below 40MPH, and AC on and windows up if above 40 MPH. The faster you go the more wind plays a factor on drag.

For everyone posting about better MPG with the windows down, how fast are you driving?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In general, the rule I use is windows down AC off if below 40MPH, and AC on and windows up if above 40 MPH. The faster you go the more wind plays a factor on drag.

For everyone posting about better MPG with the windows down, how fast are you driving?
Not better mpg, just better than with AC on. And I've only run with windows down at 55 mph or so.

·
Registered
28 Posts
In fact, I've had this Insight since January and have yet to turn on the AC.
Top tip: as a general rule you need to run your AC al least once every three weeks, to make sure the seals stay lubricated. All the O-rings and such in the AC system can dry out when not using the AC, which will result in a leak. This will cost you more to refill than to run it once in a while.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts