Honda Insight Forum banner

Is it just me?

974 22
Is it just me or does anyone else brain themselves on the hatch latch on their Insight? I'm 6'00" and have bonked my head more times than I care to count. On a positive note, I'm currently 55 and fully anticipate the shrinking process to begin soon (if not already) so I should be in the clear in a couple of years. Happy New Year everyone.
Car Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
379 Posts
As I get older I hit my head on things more often, I remember the same thing happening to my dad in his late 50's.

It's age, not the latch!

· Registered
770 Posts
Is it just me or does anyone else brain themselves on the hatch latch on their Insight? I'm 6'00" and have bonked my head more times than I care to count. On a positive note, I'm currently 55 and fully anticipate the shrinking process to begin soon (if not already) so I should be in the clear in a couple of years. Happy New Year everyone. View attachment 100871
I'll tell you what, it's the citrus...always of poignant character. I think you just need to sell it and get the more docile silver model. Oh hey, mine for example, today is your lucky day. You will never have to worry again about that issue with that car. Let's talk. Happy New Year!

· Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you look at the picture closely you'll see a silver one in the background (I suffer from the all too common Insight addiction....I've owned five of them at one point). That old girl did the same thing to me.

· Registered
101 Posts
I literally just did this to 2 hours ago and thought to myself, "those Japanese must be too short to have anticipated this issue." No offense intended by that statement but at 6'1" I have bonked my head on that thing more times that I'd like to admit and it hurts!

· Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I hit my head on it, the spot feels like it's connected to every nerve in my body. Glad to see I'm not alone.

· Premium Member
3,221 Posts
As someone who is vertically challenged, I feel blessed I do not have to deal with such issues!

· Registered
'06 Red MT 82k; '00 Silvertone MT x3: 104k, 114k, 219k
95 Posts
"If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck" adapted to our situation:
"If it looks like a duck, hurts like duck, and whacks like a duck, then it probably means you should duck."

· Registered
888 Posts
I would vote with the "advancing age" crew.

As I entered my 50s, I began whacking my skull on anything I could manage, (cabinets, hoods, tailgates, tree branches, etc., etc., etc.) seemingly missing whatever hair I had left and putting divots all over my dome.

It eased off when I got to my 60s, I think because that's when actinic keratosis took over, thus allowing the dermatologist to apply my yearly ration of skull injuries in a more medical, but much more expensive, manner.

· Premium Member
466 Posts
As a "hair challenged" individual, I find that a ball cap not only reduces sunburn, it also seems to reduce the severity of the damage when my hairless head runs into something!

Reactions: Arbus

· Registered
2000 Honda Insight
628 Posts
I'm 6' 3" and I don't remember ever hitting it. Is it opening all the way?

· Registered
2004 Blue 5 M/T
114 Posts
I hit my head on mine SO often! It seems silly that they put the latch backwards like that! Look at almost any other car and the loop part will be at the bottom well concealed. I've gotten better about it but I still manage to smack myself at least once a week.

· Registered
2 Posts
I'm 5' 9", shrunk from 5' 10" and therefore I fall within the Japanese safe height limit. However, I run into other objects that aren't for vertically challenged. After 50 & becoming nearsighted with stupid progressive lenses, I run into the other kind of vertically challenged items - too low to ground! Curbs, furniture legs, tiny rocks - you name it. One bizarre incident happened in grad school when I ran into a wall after a very rare afternoon nap.

· Registered
888 Posts
Reactions: Craigjoplin1959
1 - 20 of 23 Posts