Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read through the archives, and found quite a few stories from people who have bought new Insights for less than MSRP. I live in Tehachapi, California, and I went to my local Honda Dealer, and they told me Insights are only avalible via special order. Most all the southern California dealer websights I have visited don't even list the insight as an option to search their inventory. I would like to at least test drive the car before I decide to buy one.

Does anyone know of a dealer in Southern California that still carries the car in their inventory? I have never bought a new car before, so I may be going about this all wrong....

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm generally disappointed with this scenario, which seems to be true just about anywhere. How do dealers expect people to make a buying decision on a car without first test driving one? I would think one dealer in your area would have one available?!

Suggestion: pester all the dealers in your area until one of them gets one for you to try out. Maybe pester is the wrong word here - urge them.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,970 Posts
Better yet................Contact some INSIGHTERS in your area for a "MEET AND CONFER".....and a test ride...That way you can get a first hand report card.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought my Insight at the very end of February from Mike Harvey Honda here in the Bay Area. I chose them even though they're miles away and didn't actually have the car because their internet sales guy, (Gene Ouwe, whose phone number I got off the Mike Harvey website) was really great about getting me info. Apparently, any Honda dealership in the state can see what cars any other Honda dealership has, and when they ordered those cars (so they know how long they've been sitting on the lot), and what cars they've got on order.

I was looking for a Blue CVT, and at that time, there were only two in California, one in El Cerrito and one in Alhambra, with one on order for Palo Alto. Gene said that most orders for the 2004 year were done. So Gene's Honda dealership was able to trade El Cerrito for their Insight, and then I bought it (didn't want to buy from El Cerrito because all the salesguys I'd run into there were barely engaged).

My suggestion is to call around and find some dealer that has an Insight, and then go there and test drive it. Then, if you want to buy one, call around and find someone who will give you the straight deal on what Insights are where, and have them trade for the one you want. Also, I had luck with the "car price quote" internet sites... Some dealer would reply with a price, and then I'd be able to say to another dealer, "Well, I could buy it from Oakland Honda for X" and they'd always match it. I got the car for under MSRP.

Also, it's a really good suggestion to see if you can drive an Insight that someone else owns. Any owner will know more about the car than almost any salesguy. Have you tried craigslist.org to find someone selling a used Insight you can test drive?

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I just went to http://WWW.HONDA.CA and in the Car section, they list the Insight as:
Sold out for the year 2004.

So I suppose that one can not buy a new Insight in Canada for the model 2004.

·
Registered
570 Posts
bug_girl said:
when i started looking earlier this year, the guys at the dealership in michgan told me it would be a 3-6 month wait, because there was a waiting list, and all insights come from Japan.
Same story for the Prius. A customer on my mail route in Sterling, Va was told there was a nine month waiting list, and you had to pay for the car first, then they would build it! The Honda dealers around here also do not list the Insight when you search for new cars. Toyota dealers however DO list Prius. No wonder Honda doesn't sell many Insights.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Car salesman are not too trustworthy as a rule although I've met a couple of decent ones. Here in Glendale they took my money for an order, gave me a lot of stories and finally told me it was discontinued. (this is in 2003)

I finally got smart and asked the collective mind here to simply let me know if they knew of a lot ANYWHERE that had one. Got a few answers (there weren't too many out there) and simply flew up to Seattle (the closest)to get it (from a very nice dealer) and drove it back to s. Cal.

Worked for me. Best of luck in your search. If I see on I'll let you know!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts