Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It goes in the middle. I didn't buy the Homelink module yet since I don't have a garage motor installed at my house. I would be using the battery option, the package that will be bought at CHHonda most likely. Wiring it would be confusing and I don't see any other places I can actually put wires in and I don't even know if it requires power from the wire since the kit that CHHonda is selling is using battery.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Dome/Map Light

Map Light

I was going to use the 6 SMD one on the dome light.. but 1 of the festoon bulb style LED ones wasn't working so I had to use the matching one for the Map Light. the Map Light is much brighter than the dome light LED.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Dome Light

overview

Trunk Light

This is about $8 worth of LED lights off eBay. Basically 6 bulbs, 2 T10 (168/194), 4 (3 working ones) 31mm Festoon (DE3022).

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
The map lights look like over kill.I have dim leds for night driving.

I notice when the key is on the dome light glows slightly at night.

I need to upgrade my trunk light, its rather dim and since its sideways, you got the right choice.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The map lights look like over kill.I have dim leds for night driving.

I notice when the key is on the dome light glows slightly at night.

I need to upgrade my trunk light, its rather dim and since its sideways, you got the right choice.
To be honest, I barely use the Map Lights. I only put it bright so when I open the doors I can see the stuff or unlocking the door with the remote. I wired the Map Lights to turn on like the dome light does when you unlock the car or open the door.

And yea, the trunk light is sideways.. That's why I choose the 4 SMD on 1 side only. Just a caution.. you will have to bend the bulb holder to fit the new LED light unless it the same size as the old 168/194/T10.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Just found this thread, looks fantastic like it came from the factory! Great job, I've filed it away under my "How To" folder incase I ever want to do the same thing later.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
^Yup, my set up is that when the door is open/unlocked the front map light will turn on also, linked to dome light. Factory is you have to press it to turn on map light when you want to use it. My set up is, press the light if you want to use it and will turn on when doors open, but no way to to turn it off since it's linked to dome light, that's the only down point but I personally liked it that way.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
... I need to upgrade my trunk light, its rather dim and since its sideways, you got the right choice.
I installed a 7W 24-LED grid in the boot. I ordered 2 of them at Miniinthebox for under 5 € each. Waited a month before they arrived, anxious to see whether I made a stupid mistake or not, but it works great.
It is too big to fit inside the light so I just stuck it onto it (it comes with 3M tape on the back). It produces over 10 times as much light as the original lamp and all of it gets projected into the boot area, unlike the lamp that wastes most on the gray interior of the lamp holder:

Compare the boot light to the 20W porch light that illuminates the left side of the car some 6 feet away.
I'd almost wear sunglasses to get something from the boot now ;)

Same grid (from Miniinthebox) fits (barely) in the dome light:

It is so bright that it does not only flood the interior, it also lights up the area around the car. Great fun and quite helpful when remotely unlocking in pitch dark.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I also put LEDs in the (under the) door entry and map lights, but wasn't chuffed with the light output.
The lamp holders are made of grey plastic and waste most of the light that doesn't shine out directly through the glass.
So I lined them with aluminum foil strips, backed with two-sided sticky tape (just glue fabric actually):

Keep the alu free of the electric parts. Use small strips at a time, way neater and faster than trying to fit all with one big patch.
Don't use bulbs with alu foil because of the heat they produce; it may detach the glue...

The under door lights now:

Ah, I also got 3W H11 LEDs to replace the fog lights.
Too weak for real fog use now but great as DRLs, in combination with the 2.5W LED towers in the city lights.
The fog reflectors project most of the light forward so up front the fogs show way brighter than the city lights.

During installment. The LED is on the right side, the fog light is on the right side of the car. Right... You'll get it.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Wow... So the Euro Insight has entry lights out the bottom of the doors? Is this on all 4 dors or just the front 2?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Just the fronts I'm afraid - Honda Europe makes my kids stumble in the dark.
Hence the 7W LED dome light :)
The rear doors don't need under door lights as the dome lights the pavement unless you have the front seats way back.

The Elegance is the model just under the top spec - no leather seats (which I hate!), no sat nav (I can get a TomTom with lifetime maps for less than 10% of the cost of Honda's system).
If the top spec has rear door lights that would be the only reason for me to prefer it to mine - but I doubt it has that.
Mine does not have heated seats too - a fact I did not know when I bought it. I spent the first hour of ownership trying to figure how to put the seat heaters off on my drive home - it was over 20C that day and the chair felt hot - but at home, I figured out it did not have that and the seats are just warm by their fabric...
Now I wonder, if I don't waste energy on heating the seats, why don't I get better mpg? ;)

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
On a serious note - the door entry bulbs are just 3.4 W and fitted in said gray housing. If dog droppings came in fluorescent colors you might occasionally spot and avoid them on leaving the car. My LED and reflector conversion provides about 3 times as much light - but I'd still want them brighter.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts