Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They are both excellent and hate to scrap it with them still there, but not sure how to cut them out or if I'll ever use them.

·
Super Moderator
7,636 Posts
I've thought about this a bit also. It seems to me that the cost of actually replacing those body parts on a otherwise desirable Insight just couldn't be justified by the finances. The recovered vehicle would be impacted by a salvage title or some sort of Carfax report, causing diminished value, so not worth the trouble. JMHO

I sent you a "conversation."

·
7,105 Posts
Yeah, not anymore. Nobody is going to be putting that much of that type of labor into an Insight.

Maybe in another 10 years when there are only a few thousand left.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I’ve done rear quarter panel swaps to my 86 4Runner and it is A LOT of work. I haven’t looked at the panel seams on the insight, but if I had to guess it would be more difficult than it’s worth.

Reason for doing a panel swap on the 4Runner was the fact that aren’t many 1st gen 4runners that have rust free 1/4 panels left that aren’t high dollar time capsules. Obv the insight is different being that the aluminum is never going to rust, and the low price for straight/unwrecked cars prob kills the point of panel swapping from a coat perspective alone.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the low price for straight/unwrecked cars prob kills the point of panel swapping from a coat perspective alone.
That's not going to last. They are getting to be 15-20 years old now. 10 years ago you would see a Chevy Celebrity or Chrysler Lebaron convertible on the road almost every day for example. Don't think I've seen one in over a year now, and they made tons of them. As more vehicles add aluminum, and more body shops get experienced, the cost of repairs should get better. Even now, it calls for 14 hours labor to replace a quarter panel or maybe $700. Well below the "total" threshold for a nice Insight if you have the part to begin with.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That's not going to last. They are getting to be 15-20 years old now. 10 years ago you would see a Chevy Celebrity or Chrysler Lebaron convertible on the road almost every day for example. Don't think I've seen one in over a year now, and they made tons of them. As more vehicles add aluminum, and more body shops get experienced, the cost of repairs should get better. Even now, it calls for 14 hours labor to replace a quarter panel or maybe $700. Well below the "total" threshold for a nice Insight if you have the part to begin with.
I agree, but they’re not exactly small parts for everyone to be able to store for extended periods of time without getting a little beat up.

I meant more along the lines that of all the $1000 insights I’ve seen for sale, the vast majority have issues with the engine/ima/hybrid battery rather than being body damaged. Body panels will eventually be much harder to find in the future, but I guess it depends if he’s wanting to hang onto them long term or trying to sell them right away.

·
7,105 Posts
How many are left now? They only made a few thousand!
There were around 14k made. Last year, an article was posted saying about 64% were still registered, which would put us at 9000 max on the road.

They are probably dropping quite quickly at this point, but I have no idea how to figure the rate. I also don't know the threshold where value will start going up again; maybe people familiar with other low production cars can chime in there.

·
Super Moderator
7,636 Posts
Well, I guess if you had plenty of room to store them, then maybe. I don't have enough time for car value to recover to a point making qtr. panel replacement worthwhile, but you do.;)

·
Registered
697 Posts
If it were my parts car, I would keep the roof and use it to make a roof insert to make my driver into a "convertible".

·
Registered
538 Posts
If it were my parts car, I would keep the roof and use it to make a roof insert to make my driver into a "convertible".
I'd be fearful removing any part of the roof as this is a monocoque construction vehicle. By taking out the roof in part or whole you may be weakening the entire structure. This is only a problem when you hit something but that does happen now and again. Go with caution.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I could have used that roof about two years ago. I was thinking of buying a roof from a junkyard but I would have needed to learn how to do aluminum welding and get the equipment for it. Which would have been worthwhile. (I did learn how to do light aluminum brazing to attach aluminum stock to my hood to pull out dents I could not reach from under the hood. I was surprised how well that worked. The joint was stronger than the metal it joined.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts