Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three weeks ago we had the 60K service on our 2000 Insight ($400) and found out the AC needs to be replaced ($1,200.) Now the clutch has gone completely out. I'm waiting for a tow truck to come and take the car back to the dealer for what is sure to be another pricey repair. Unfortunately my hubby and I are not particularly mechanically inclined - especially with the hybrid. Is this typical behavior for 61,000 miles? We bought it new and, except for a warrantied issue with the IMA and an unfortunate loss of power on the expressway, it's been fine.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I haven't had any problems like that (knock on wood) and I have 82,000 miles. Sorry to hear you are having those problems. I think you will find they are rare with any Honda.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More details

Thanks for the insight (sorry!). . . I neglected to give the details of our IMA experience - it occurred right after a routine maintenance trip to the dealer six months ago. The check engine light had come on and after maintenance I was assured it was fine. Two days later I was driving on the expressway when all the indicator lights came on and the power completely shut down. Kind of scary sitting on the side of the highway in the dark and the rain with no emergency flashers. But the dealer responded with a tow and a rental Accord for the 30 days it took to get the required battery part and the specialized tool required to install it. While they were working on it they also discovered the catalytic convertor needed to be replaced. But it was all warrantied and I walked out of the dealership a month later wth all the fixes and not a penny in charges (not even for the Accord!) so I didn't get too bothered. I'm a little concerned those days are coming to an end.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Clutch wear is like brake wear. It's very individual. As 75K+ miles I expect mine to go another 100K+. IIRC there have not been posts in regard to premature clutch disc wear on the forums.

Or you may be dealing with something in the clutch hydraulic system, much less expensive.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
The whole entire a/c system? Not the belt, or hoses, or the compressor, or some other part, but the a/c system in toto? You bought it new, so... Did the dealer install it, or did it come from the factory with the unit already installed? Was it working when you brought it in for the 60K service? Sounds very hinky to me... I've never had any a/c unit stop working at 60K, and I've had domestic, English, Italian, and even (shudder) French cars in my garage (and Hondas are, well... Honda-bulletproof). I'd ask to speak to the service manager, and have him or her explain just for what exactly they'll be charging $1200... :shock:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AC repair details

I'm told the AC needs a compressor, clutch and coil estaimed to cost $1,214 (or, essentially, the price of a whole system.)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Clutch wear depends on driving technique.
From my experience, instructing advanced driving and performance driving courses, many people slip the clutch too much and too often while driving. I suggest taking an advanced driving course to improve you and your husband's shifting techniques.
The clutch should last the life of the car (over 300,000 miles) if driven correctly.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I suggest taking the Insight to another shop, like a specialty A/C shop for another quote on the A/C repair.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Yeah, what Guillermo said... something just ain't right here... find yourself a second opinion... :oops:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
diagnosis

Turns out it's the hydraulic slave cylinder. Thanks for all the advice. I didn't think I was heavy-footed but I will taken particular note now.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Guillermo said:
The clutch should last the life of the car (over 300,000 miles) if driven correctly.
No honda clutch will last 300,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Dezoris,

Please consider the tone of your posts. Such argumentative posts are subject to moderation. And absolutes are rarely correct.

Personally I've _seen_ several Honda clutch _assemblies_ exceed 220K miles. However, those were in cars that had a LOT of highway miles. 300K miles is probably attainable, but will not be the norm and will be _probably_ be limited to those cars that are primairly highway long distance commuters. But if you want to narrow the durability to the clutch friction disc only then the numbers could go up significantly (statistically).

Sincerely,

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Babney, sounds like you had something contaminating your hydraulic fluid. The hydraulic fluid attracts moisture and too much moisture will promote corrosion of the cylinder wall. It could have been any number of other things as well including a defective part. My 1980 Prelude had a hydraulic clutch. Neither the clutch nor the hydraulic system needed work in the 13 years I owned it. Hopefully you will be trouble free from here on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
clutch

My 2000 Insight is just over 113K now and the clutch is going out. Probably low on fluid, so I'll check and fill if nec. (no obvious drips or puddles). Otherwise no serious problems--still getting 70 mpg solo and 60+ with carpool buddy.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Perfect example ModelMan of how such "things" need to be qualified. To the average Insighter _anything_ related to the clutch not working right is a "clutch" failure.

However, as in the Insight's case the hydraulics can fail and is a seperate (and lower cost repair) sub-system of the clutch as a whole.

p.s. Just because the fluid level may be full (or OK) dosen't mean that this sub-system is functional.

HTH! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts