Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife and I are looking to get an Insight EX later this year. We are pretty much settled on the car but we can't really decide if we want to pay extra for the navigation. I don't want pass on the navi and regret it in the future, but I also don't want to pay for features I'll never use, especially if the GPS isn't very good. So are the extra features worth it or no? How well does the GPS work?

Also, does the bluetooth allow wireless music from an iPhone, or is it restricted to phone calls?

·
Registered
790 Posts
That's a good question. We finally decided to just go with the EX.

NAVI is one thing we decided we could pass on. There are times I wish we got NAVI.

However, I surely don't miss the extra we would of spent on it.

Plus, there are several good aftermarket NAVI head units that can be installed. I like Alpine gear myself, however I've been known to use Kenwood products as well. They and other companies make units that are compatible.

For the money saved buying the EX, you could always use that spared cash on an aftermarket solution and have someone install it for you. That is what I decided I would do in the future if I found that I couldn't live without NAVI.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
NAVI value can vary from person to person. I had it on my Insight and I have the same unit in my CR-Z. I don't regret it. The GPS is fine.

The factory unit is NOT the best nav system in town. In fact, it's far from it. However, it is a factory system, so the interface with all of the steering wheel control buttons and voice commands are intact. Plus, it helps on resale value.

You can get a much better unit on the aftermarket and a better stereo, but they come with disadvantages too. The buttons and voice integration will be compromised and it will ultimately take away from resale value.

The bluetooth does NOT wirelessly play iPhone music. You can import contacts though.

I would say that if you are a lost salesman and in need of a high quality nav system, go aftermarket. If you know where you're going, but want a little help with time and distance, or an occasional trip to an unfamiliar town, go factory.

Or if you just like wearing a clown nose, get a Tom Tom.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
It also comes with the speech controls where you can tell the car to turn on/off the air conditioner and a few other things. I dont guess it is as that impressive as no one talks about it.

If you just want nav, you can buy an aftermarket unit for a lot less than the upprice of the car.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
We went with the NAVI almost entirely for the bluetooth. It's the only way to get factory bluetooth in a Honda (but not in an Acura) Safety for everyone my *** Honda!

Also, it was my opinion that the Insight needed to be as nice as possible for us as we had become used to larger, more powerful and comfortable cars. So having the NAV was a little perk. (we also paid only 21500 or something before the earthquake & the rise in fuel prices)

For iphone music, there is a usb connector in the center console. Incoming calls automatically pause the music/podcast until the call is over. Several phones can be paired to the bluetooth. I think there was mention here that the NAVI is going to be improved for the 2012 model year.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had an Acura with a nav system and loved it. However, it became kind of obsolete after two years or so. New nav systems with more features came out and you could purchase a new system for about the price of just a map upgrade. It is nice having a built-in, but with a separate portable, you can use it in any car. That includes rental cars when you travel somewhere which is a huge advantage to the built-in.

I bought a base model Insight(twin boys first year of college @ $100,000+). Already had a portable nav system. I did a lot of research and figured I did not need the extras with the LX or EX. I also found you could add an after market radio that would be far better then the factory model in the LX/EX. Also cruise control. Both of these would be under $800.00. In the process of adding the stereo now- with bluetooth.

Love my car. Getting around 45 mpg. It is fun to try to get every mpg out of it--- a challenge!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So how does the iPod work without navi? We got to test one on a navi and were alttle disappointed that it locks up the iPhone's screen when plugged in through USB. Is there any way to select songs or play a certain album without having the navi interface?

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Maybe someone more tech background can explain it, but the iphone mode to display all the songs and playlist info on the car screen and utilize car controls does indeed lock up the screen. That's not a Honda thing. It's a Steve Jobs thing.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Our Ford Escape Hybrid has an awesome aftermarket Navi unit. It's an Pioneer Premiere AVIC F9OBT. It's a fantastic unit that has built-in Bluetooth and a sweet Ipod controller on the screen. You simply plug in the Ipod with the Ipod connector hidden somewhere in the car, and you literally forget about the Ipod. On the screen you select source, and your Ipod controls are right there on the screen. The controls function just like the Ipod does and the menu is great. You can even listen to your movies, but you can't watch them if your driving. You can only watch the movies if your parked.
I love this system so much I want one in my Insight, but I can't afford it. What I have in my car is a much older Eclipse unit that works great for navigating, but there is no Ipod or Bluetooth in it. :(

Anyway, I'd recommend aftermarket, and go with the Pioneer I mentioned.

·
Registered
790 Posts
'din' is the standard slot form factor of many cars, double-din is basically double the height.

That's a raw and basic explanation, but it works.

Double-din units should fit, actually. There's a bracket that can be bought to eliminate the remaining space around the radio / unit / whatever.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I decided to opt in for the EX-Navi and I don't regret it. It's so much easier to navigate through music using the touch screen. It displays more information and you get to focus more on the road than on selecting the song you want played. The bluetooth is great, and the voice operated commands make it so that you can literally drive the car while controlling various components such as A/C, radio, bluetooth, airflow, etc. without taking your eyes off the road. You can even bring your phone's address book on-screen to search for contacts without touching your phone. (Great in states where driving + calling/texting is illegal!)

Yeah, the user interface looks out of date, but all the functions are well worth it if it's a car you're going to have for several years!

·
Registered
56 Posts
So how does the iPod work without navi? We got to test one on a navi and were alttle disappointed that it locks up the iPhone's screen when plugged in through USB. Is there any way to select songs or play a certain album without having the navi interface?
The only way to do that is to unplug the iPod, select the song, then plug it back in. It will automatically play it.

The only downside about selecting songs is that there's no way to jump to the end of a list. You have to use the zoom in/out toggle to move through pages (faster than just using the arrows on-screen).

I got used tot it quickly though..and I recommend setting up a smart playlist on iTunes that groups together songs with 4+ star ratings and putting it on your iPod. That way all of your favorite songs are on one convenient Top Rated playlist and you can access them more easily!

·
Registered
790 Posts
If you have an EX you can use the channel up/down button on the steering wheel to flip through songs. If you're already familiar with the play list, you have a general idea of where a song is. If not, listen to a song for a second and flip to the next.

I suspect the NAVI version works the same way if someone doesn't want to deal with the touch-screen.

You can also load a USB flash drive full of MP3's, WMA's, etc. I prefer that instead of dealing with a phone. The song name (if downloaded / ripped with the correct name) will show on the radio screen, unless it's too long, then it will be cut off after x amount of characters.

·
Registered
254 Posts
'din' is the standard slot form factor of many cars, double-din is basically double the height.

That's a raw and basic explanation, but it works.

Double-din units should fit, actually. There's a bracket that can be bought to eliminate the remaining space around the radio / unit / whatever.
Yeah, why wouldn't we be able to fit a double-din unit? We have two slots!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have the EX with nav and I really like it. I have been in different states and have given the voice command find nearest gas station or find nearest restaurant and lo and behold information pops up on the screen and I pick a number and off I go. I can do that while driving all through voice commands. I like the bluetooth sync with my contacts in my cell phone and being able to say call "matthew" and it dials the number all the while keeping my hands on the steering wheel. It also has the voice commands like turn on rear defroster, set temperature to 75, a/c on, a/c off, etc., etc. I thought it was worth it just for the find nearest gas station or restaurant feature by voice commands when I was in the middle of Kentucky not knowing where I really was or what was close to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
In general I think that oem Nav systems are a bit overrated. The unit, even in the brand new cars are already 1 to 2yrs old (or even more) due to production timeline goals they need to meet. And as your car ages, you are pretty much stuck with it.

You can buy the latest GPS technology for under $200 on a separate unit, and change it (or update its database) every couple years with a lot less $$. Of course, it doesn't look as clean, and you lose the voice integration.

Similar things for the bluetooth. For example my 1992 explorer (which is going to the junker soon!) has a $150 bluetooth radio, that DOES answer calls, and DOES play iphone music wirelessly (can you say Pandora on the road!) - So I think that having very high end OEM electronics also tight you up to stick with them, which makes it hard to upgrade without buying a whole new car... my 2c.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Get it with the Nav

You will not regret it if you get it. If you don't get it you might just regret it. If you can pay for the extra to get it than get it. All the perks mentioned are a huge plus when driving. I love the looks I get when I am talking to what appears to be myself:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts