Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you Insight Owner's think that they Insight is dying, I mean I have read on here somewhere that someone said that the number sold last year was not that many, so how do all you Insight Owner's think they are going to sell this year? When do you all think that this Insight II is going to be out or if they are even going to possibly make a Insight for the year 2006? I mean you would think that since the Insight was the first hybrid made by Honda that it is still to this day the most fuel-efficient car in the world that alot more people would buy it, but I guess not. I know that I do not see any Insights at all in my area, I used to see one every now and then but not anymore, I guess they are not that popular where I live. :( Although just because the Insight is not that popular in my area, and there are not alot of them sold, It is not going to stop me from getting one, I still want one. :D It is too bad that the Insights are not that popular in my area as I would really like for someone to give me a ride in there's so I can see first hand what it is like, and see how the IMA, battery works, and experience the Idle Stop Mode, and all the other cool features. I don't even think that any of the Insight Owner's in my area are even aware of this site, as I do not see anyone from Ft.Walton even on here, and I have only seen 4 Insight in my area and that is it. :(

·
Registered
569 Posts
How can dealers sell a car that they do not have on the lot for people to see or take a test drive :?: How many people are going to order and wait a couple of months for a car. I think it's rediculous the way Honda "sells" the Insight. How many Accords or Civics would they sell if, (1) they didn't advertise them, (2) they didn't have them on their lots for people to see, (3) you had to wait two or three months to get the car? I'm amazed they sell ANY Insights at all :!: :!: :!:

·
Registered
408 Posts
You have to remember that Honda is loosing money on every Insight they sell. They really don't want to sell too many. As for advertising, I can say that we wouldn't have bought an Insight if they didn't have one on the lot for a test drive. I'm not sure there are going to be many "new" Insight owners, mostly old owners trading in (or up to the Civic). Honda will keep the Insight in production so it can have the highest mileage car in the US. I just hope they come out with something else new that even tops the Insight...

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
james said:
Do we have to keep belaboring the obvious here?
Yes.

Why, I heard just the other day that the Insight would no longer be manufactured after 2005.

:twisted:

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
:lol: at Tim Maddux's twisted evil emoticon (which must included for full understanding). It also helps to have been reading Insight message boards for the past 3 years. The topic comes up every year, usually several times.

But I _appreciate_ your clear concise logic too James.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Honda is not taking a big loss on the sale of the Insight. Remember the government is supplementing this so called loss.

Another thing to remember is the Insight is not a car that appeals to all the masses. With other Hybrids being introduced that provide more room and comfort, the Insight has lost its market.

It's a great car that has served its purpose. Now it's time to move forward.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Was it Mark Twain that said "The rumours of my death are highly exaggerated".

I have no recollection of how I heard about the Insight, but when I learned the body was aluminum, I decided I wanted one, and bought it without a test drive. I had owned and driven many Honda vehicles.

The day Honda stops making aluminum cars will be a big step backwards. Ultimately all cars will have to be lighter. Carbon fiber, or Titanium have serious issues of flamability. Honda is gaining the experience they will need to be a future leader.

G

·
0 Posts
I am not aware of any issues with Titanium as far as flamability goes!!!

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
I didn't know this myself until I tried to micro braze a titanium frame. A burning Titanium car would probably outshine the sun and melt right through the road. Add a Lithium battery pack and a few gallons of your favorite liquid fuel and you have a real traffic stopper. 8) 8) 8) 8) :shock:

Hmmmmm, on third thought, perhaps it depends on the alloy. Titanium is used in engine valves, so what I'm saying doesn't seem to make sense otherwise. Now I'm really puzzled.

G

·
0 Posts
Are you sure it was a Ti frame & not a magnesium one, that really would go up in flames!!!!! :shock:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Mark Elvin said:
Are you sure it was a Ti frame & not a magnesium one, that really would go up in flames!!!!! :shock:
Well the Insight has some of that too... it's oil pan is Magnesium :shock: :lol: :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
From my experience of magnesium in F1 race cars, it's really not that bad. That is unless you play a flame directly onto it !!!!!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Insightful Trekker said:
:lol: at Tim Maddux's twisted evil emoticon (which must included for full understanding). It also helps to have been reading Insight message boards for the past 3 years. The topic comes up every year, usually several times.

But I _appreciate_ your clear concise logic too James.
Oh! I just saw Elvis chatting with bin Laden...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I cannot believe you Insight Owner's, you all act as though you hate your Insights. :shock:

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I must add that, the Insight was something Honda did not want to become mainstream anyway. It was the "reality" test bench for the system before applying it to the Civic and others.

It is true that they lost money for each car sold. But they do try to recuperate it with the service parts cost$$. They never put advertisement and they did not make it easy to buy one.

In 2000, when I bought mine, every dealer wanted a signed selling contract before they could order a car. So you could not see or test it before ordering/buying. I bought mine where they had one in store (which is why I did not choose the color)

They always said that Honda always makes a model for 5 years minimum. We are now at that time. If they stop, the car value could go up. It could become an exotic rarity. Being made of aluminum is why I took a chance on it. A steel car is not an option at the quality and thickness of cars these days (I have a 1971 truck, you can sit on the hood and it will not bend. Can you do that with todays automobiles)

I love my car. But every time I write about it, it is when I need/give help to/from others. I have no need to write about all the good stuff going around. I drive the car and expect it to be fun for the rest of it's life.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Any time my father had trouble with the car my grandmother would say "Are you out of gas?". After many years of this, she was finally correct...... once.

I picked up a hybrid pamphlet from the dealer 2 days ago, featuring the new Accord hybrid. The brochure included 3 photos of the Insight as well as full specs for all three hybrids.

One of the reasons I bought my Insight in 2002 was because of rumours that they would stop production. From a bad rumour came good.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If gas hit $5.00 a gallon Honda would sell more Insight than they could make, even with no adds and long waiting periods.

BTW I nitpick about things that I wish were better in my Honda Hybrid but I still love it. If you read the nitpicks you might think that I don't like the car but nothing would be further from the truth.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
"Honda is not taking a big loss on the sale of the Insight. Remember the government is supplementing this so called loss."

Who says they're not? Of course Honda doesn't make its internal costs public, so no one knows for certain, but that's been the word in all the press for as long as there's been an Insight. As for the government supplementing the loss, how?

"Another thing to remember is the Insight is not a car that appeals to all the masses."

Well, gee, neither are Porsche & Ferrari, or to run down the price scale, the Mazda Miata, Honda Del Sol, etc. But they still sell, and apparently at a profit for their makers.

Yes, some people want more room and (alleged) comfort than the Insight provides, but odds are those people wouldn't have bought an Insight (or any other sporty two-seater) in the first place. The market for the Insight & similiar cars is still exactly what it always was: a niche market, but a real one.

·
Registered
569 Posts
So raise the price and promote it. Maybe they could make a profit, or at least break even. I'd still buy one.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts