Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used insight with 50~k miles on it. When I start from a stop, the engine shudders a bit during the initial second of acceleration, unless I go REAAAAAAALY easy on the gas, and I mean barely touch it at all.

On the freeway or on surface streets at decent speed, if I just apply light gas pedal pressure, barely any pressure, the car shakes a bit.. .almost as if the transmission is slipping in a regular automatic car (I have a CVT). Anyone have any similar problem, or know what it could be?

The slipping sensation has got me pretty worried.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My CVT does that sometimes, too, though not so bad. Particularly when I'm starting with a lead foot, it will shudder a bit in what would be first gear, before it "catches" and accelerates smoothly. Also, sometimes when I'm pressing down lightly on the gas to start from a stop the car will be like, "la de da de dah... Piddling along slowly... Oh, wait, you wanted me to go? VOOOOMM!"

I don't remember any problems when I'm in any other "gear" than first, and it's not seemed like a problem to me, just an oddness about the shifting.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Has the trans fluid ever been changed? They recommend every 30K miles, and they generally have problems if that is not done.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
I would guess that the shuddering upon initial startup is due to the
transmission fluid not up to the proper pressure to hold the belt tight
within the CVT.. The initial startup can have some slipage from auto-
stop because the lack of pressure causes the steel belt to become
slack for a few seconds. I do not have an answer why it would do
it after you have been moving then accelerate. Perhaps that one
comes from the engine somehow.

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
340 Posts
If the trans fluid has been changed and it is up to level, the shuddering could also be a bad motor mount. I don't have that problem with my Insight but have had it on another car several years ago. I would also check the CV joints.
Good luck with it.
Robert

1 - 5 of 5 Posts