Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Insight forums!

I'm in the midst of an issue with my Honda Insight and wanted to post about it here to see if anyone has had the same problem.

To start it off - I have a 2010 Honda Insight, purchased from a Honda dealership and am the original owner. Its an auto-transmission, base model that came with pre-installed low jack. I haven't modified the car in any way (stereo installation, etc) I just get the oil changed, tires rotated and coolant replaced as I should.

So back in December my "Check Airbag System" light came on. I took it into the Honda dealership, they kept the car over Christmas break, said they fixed it when I returned and charged me about $140.

Then comes May and the light comes back on again. I take it in, they run some sort of system check and tell me that there is a connection issue with the airbag harness. (According to them, there are 2 harnesses - 1 under the driver's seat, one under the passenger's seat) Because there are so many wires and it would be impossible to just replace the faulty one, they suggest to replace the whole harness on the driver's side. They suggested to order the second harness as well, in case the driver's one doesn't fix the problem so they can replace both while they have the car taken apart. They call me and say the driver's side replacement fixed it, and there is no need to replace the passenger side. With parts and labor (and the refund from my original visit, and a deep discount from the manager) it came out to $1,700.

Cut to a week ago when the light came on again. I took the car back in and the manager was suggesting to replace the second harness, but she would run the test and talk to Honda Tech Line to be sure.

She just called me with an update that tech line is suggesting to disconnect/remove the low jack, which apparently is under the second harness. She'd get back to me with labor costs.

Has anyone had anything like this happen to them? I feel a bit stuck because I don't want to take it to anywhere else except a dealership, but I also feel like they really don't know what the problem is and are charging me as much as possible. And of course I don't know anything about cars or airbags, so I feel like this is out of the ordinary and not really part of "general wear and tear". Also I paid extra to have the low jack when I bought the car, and now its being removed.

Any thoughts I'd appreciate!

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Welcome aboard. :)

I know nothing about lo jack. I do know all the connectors have connectors to ensure things are plugged in correctly and those extra terminals can cause a light.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I feel your pain. I bought my 2010 EX in April 2015 with light damage, and a salvage title, but the drivers side airbag was blown. It took way more effort (and $$) to repair the airbag than I expected. That was by far the most difficult and expensive repair the car needed.
In my case I had to replace the sensor that caused the airbag to go off, the airbag (obviously), the seat belt that was activated, and the SRS controller. That should have done it according to the service manual, but the light was still on. We were then left with either a bad SRS controller or the passenger side wire harness. There was no visual damage to the wire harness, and the SRS controller had just been replaced for $575 from Honda Parts Cheap.com + labor. Honda list price is like $800 for the controller by the way. Honda service wanted like $900 - $1,000 to replace the passenger wire harness and the mechanic that I had been working with for the other repairs installed the one I bought (also from Cheap Honda Parts) for around $265 for about $430. Well that finally fixed it, the light was off, and I could get the car inspected and registered. Cost was WAY higher than expected mostly because of the SRS system. I guess what I learned (consistent with what you are finding) is that the SRS system is hard to diagnose, the parts are expensive and also in the case of the wire harness(es) expensive to install because you have to take much of the interior apart to get at it.
Good luck with the repair - The passenger side wire harness is what cured my problem, and Honda Parts OEM 30% Off | No Tax!! Outside California | Honda Dealer Parts has become my source for expensive parts... 30% below list vs my local dealership which seems to charge 20%-30% above list...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts