Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to exceed 100 MPG with a CVT Insight? After today's experience I believe the answer to be a resounding YES; one wonders what those with the manual transmission version of the Insight are capable of.

Earier today on a run to Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, I managed to achieve 97.1 MPG over a twenty five some mile run. However, once in the little city, with the Stop Lights and other associated gas wasting city traffic obsticals, the average dropped to 94 MPG by the time I got to my destination.

... thought some of you might be interested.

Fred

·
Registered
144 Posts
I beleive there is a post and/or web site out there about the world record for production car mpg set in Great Britain by, of course, an Insight. The drive team logged an awesome 103mpg.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
That is exceptional for the CVT which does not have lean burn mode. Some enthusisasts achieved over 110 MPG in a Prius using pulse and glide technique last year. Good to hear that you are pushing the envelope. :D

The 103 MPG record in Britain was measured in Imperial gallons and was done using a 5 speed.

·
Registered
274 Posts
100 mpg in a CVT Insight? Very hard to believe. Perhaps going downhill all the way.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tried to reproduce that high MPG figure from the other day and failed miserably but there should be plenty of time for more attempts to hit that 100 MPG rating in the CVT; got caught in a traffice jam on I-80 for two and a half hours, along with quite few others. As I understand it a trucker hit a cyclist, killing both the young man and his girl friend. As good as they may be as vehicle drivers, motorcyclists simply do not have any protection to speak of when side-swiped or "tapped" from behind. If they leave that cycle at fifty, sixty miles per hour or better, there's a good chance they will die as a result.

As for the new CVT Insight, while still learning to change my driving habits due to the on-board instrumentation available, one thing is becoming very clear, at least to me and that is when and where possible I try to drive NOT by the indicated MPH, rather I try to go by the RPM indicator; this is much like those piston powered helicopters I used to fly; i.e., takeoff at 2900 RPM then level off for normal fligh at 2700 RPM.

In the case of my CVT insight,when on a flat run (not hilly) I've found that if I keep the RPM at 2000 or as reasonably close to it as is practical, I can get up to and stay at speeds in the high forties to fifty MPH. Due to the quasi-rural nature of the area this is practical and fine as far as I'm concerned. If running along with a warm engine, at 2000 RPM, when on a relatively flat straight-away, the Current Fuel Mileage (CFM) indicator will for the most part be found "floating" between the fifty to the 100 MPG range and that's not bad by any contemporary standard.

Those of you with a CVT, when and where practical, I for one would be interested to see if this works the same for you.

Fred

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Fred:

___Yes, 100 mpg in an Insight w/ a CVT should be easy to achieve in warmer temps while in an all-suburban traffic environment as we have seen > 100 mpg over ~ 40 miles RT and then again for another 20 miles through the Chicago arterials in an 03 HCH w/ a CVT. I know the CVT based Insight can do better then that …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I knew it could be done!

Thanks!

Fred

Hi Fred:

___Yes, 100 mpg in an Insight w/ a CVT should be easy to achieve in warmer temps while in an all-suburban traffic environment as we have seen > 100 mpg over ~ 40 miles RT and then again for another 20 miles through the Chicago arterials in an 03 HCH w/ a CVT. I know the CVT based Insight can do better then that …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes - CleanMPG.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts