Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this was wierd. It is finally cooling off here, highs have gotten down to the mid 70's upper 60's lately so nothing extreme, but the car has been used to 100+ degree days for a while. So I went out this morning and got in the car and started it up. It turned over normally and started to rev up to it's initial high idle speed but then the rpm's dropped off gradually until the engine just died. Hesitantly I started it again and it kinda acted like it wanted to do it again, but as fine after that. I pulled it up to the garage and left it running, poped the hood, sounded normal. Checked the oil level, that was fine.

Anyone else have this happen ever? It's just bothering me, it's really strange that the car would do that. First I would think that the car would try it's best to keep itself runing, then if not I thought the IMA would try to keep it spinning too. All well, strange. I'm going to see if they can plug in to the obd tomorrow and check everything over and maybe reset it. It's probably just some stupid hickup, but this is really bothering me. After I did that it drove completely normally the rest of the day.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Hi, Rick!

If it happened only once I wouldn't worry too much.

I had something similar happen to me, the first time I started the car after I installed my engine block heater. This is in New England, it was around 0 C back then. The first morning I started the car after the heater had been on for about two hours, it did exactly what you described. Never happened again since. I was scratching my head, too. But I gave up trying to figure it out.

Maybe the engine management has to adjust to temperature changes and couldn't keep up?

Who knows!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hopefully. If I had to guess I'd say it didn't like the temperature difference so much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts