Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hopped into the insight this morning to go to my uncles down in L.A and I was rolling up to a stop light in medium traffic and auto stop kicked in, upon restart I put in first and went to push the accelerator and the car lurched forward and instantly stalled, causing the approaching semi to come within inches of hitting me, he locked his brakes and jacknifed in the middle of the road almost causing a pileup -.-. Anyway, I restarted and took off as quick as I could and within 15 seconds of having no assist/charge, IMA and CEL. DTC P1449.

So my questions are this.

How screwed am I? Also why would the IMA stop working when it indicates a full charge?

Can my pack be saved by grid charging?

Can I just drive the car with no assist for 3 months? Won't the already bad cells just continue to drain until they are permanently damaged if I let the battery basically sit for 3 months?

This literally could not have happened at a worse time. I owe money to my parents and am trying to pay off my speeding ticket I got months ago. I literally have no money right now and won't have the money for a grid charger until late January.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Whew! Glad to hear you got out of things unharmed.

I can help you.

Basically, for now we can try a few no cost things like
- resetting the light.
- unhooking the IMA

Next can move on to grid charger, etc.

Call and we can discuss.
608-729-4082

·
Administrator
12,985 Posts
How screwed am I?
Not that bad if you follow the advice given.

Also why would the IMA stop working when it indicates a full charge?
Because the battery condition/capacity is not always accurately reflected by the soc gauge.

Can my pack be saved by grid charging?
Possibly. For a time anyway.

Can I just drive the car with no assist for 3 months? Won't the already bad cells just continue to drain until they are permanently damaged if I let the battery basically sit for 3 months?
You can, but should do the battery bypass imo if you need to drive it, and can't afford a grid charger at this point.

I literally have no money right now and won't have the money for a grid charger until late January.
Build your own for about $50 with cheap e-bay parts and scrounged wire. You don't have to spend $$$

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Whew! Glad to hear you got out of things unharmed.

I can help you.

Basically, for now we can try a few no cost things like
- resetting the light.
- unhooking the IMA

Next can move on to grid charger, etc.

Call and we can discuss.
608-729-4082
Just tried, you didn't pick up :p.

Also, I flipped my calpod to disable the IMA system, not that it was even working anyway, because until I find out exactly what's wrong I didn't want the system to attempt to use it.

[Edit]: I just disconnected the 12v battery for about a minute (I figure that's what you meant by resetting the light).
Plugged it back in, took the car out for a spin, was at 0/20 bars SoC for about 30 seconds of the drive, then it did a positive recall to 20/20 bars.
Got car on a straightaway, got up to 15mph and put it in 5th and floored it, full assist all the way up to 60mph.
Turned around, repeated 3 times.
No IMA, car accelerated like a champ, only used 1 bar of SoC doing that, which I charged by sitting in neutral at 3.1k rpm. What gives? What would cause the IMA light to trip like that...? Is this a clear warning sign I need to get my *** in gear and get a grid charger build/bought?

·
Administrator
12,985 Posts
Is this a clear warning sign I need to get my *** in gear and get a grid charger build/bought?
Yes. You just reset the system and it will likely work a bit for a while.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I want to build my own grid charger. I talked to my little brother (who is an electrician) and he wants to help. I looked but I can't seem to find a good guide? I don't even know where to start, but I would like to learn.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Ok, I want to build my own grid charger. I talked to my little brother (who is an electrician) and he wants to help. I looked but I can't seem to find a good guide? I don't even know where to start, but I would like to learn.
Look at the link at the very bottom of this post.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,474 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IMA tripped the second I turned on the car this morning, oh well. Anyway, I don't understand that schematic. Way to complicated for me, I go over and over it and I guess I'm too stupid to understand it. I guess I'll just have to wait until January and get one from hybrid automotive.

·
Super Moderator
5,359 Posts
Has your brother looked at it? This really isn't that hard. You can do this!

Sam

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
o1
this should put him closer, if I did it right.

grid-charger-discharger
HTH
Willie
Yep that works too. But then people might miss seeing my 165 hp, 1000 lb replica Lotus 7 race car. :D

Or the electric motor that is mounted in a plastic drink cup that can run on 0.0094 volts at 2 microwatts!! Or how 'bout the levitated motor that runs on sunlight?

Oh wait, they can get to all that by using the link below. :)
Just kidding around Willie. (But it's all true.)
----------------

Balto said:
IMA tripped the second I turned on the car this morning, oh well. Anyway, I don't understand that schematic. Way to complicated for me, I go over and over it and I guess I'm too stupid to understand it. I guess I'll just have to wait until January and get one from hybrid automotive.
Your brother should have no problem building it for you.
To make it simpler you could leave the 12 volt meter out because as soon as you turn the power switch ON the multimeter will light. Having the multimeter really makes the charger nice to use.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep that works too. But then people might miss seeing my 165 hp, 1000 lb replica Lotus 7 race car. :D

Or the electric motor that is mounted in a plastic drink cup that can run on 0.0094 volts at 2 microwatts!! Or how 'bout the levitated motor that runs on sunlight?

Oh wait, they can get to all that by using the link below. :)
Just kidding around Willie. (But it's all true.)
----------------

Your brother should have no problem building it for you.
To make it simpler you could leave the 12 volt meter out because as soon as you turn the power switch ON the multimeter will light. Having the multimeter really makes the charger nice to use.
Yea I have a feeling my brother and his boss are going to make a super over complicated one once they see it. They recently got into HHO and make a very simple project into mass producing plant haha. I'm out in Long Beach so I won't be home until tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Yea I have a feeling my brother and his boss are going to make a super over complicated one once they see it.

In that case I'm glad I haven't revealed what I have planned to add to my charger. :)

They recently got into HHO and make a very simple project into mass producing plant haha. I'm out in Long Beach so I won't be home until tomorrow.
BOOM!

Well then let's not tell them about this,

"A patent issued to Charles H. Garrett on July 2, 1935 and called an ELECTROLYTIC CARBURETOR."

Patent US2006676 - Electrolytic carburetor - Google Patents

I once ran the numbers to see what it would take to generate enough H2 to run my Honda CRX-HF on H2 instead of gas. It would have taken about 3 or 4 times more Hp to run the electrolysis stuff fast enough to run the engine than the power of my engine. Of course you can add some sulphuric acid to the water to speed things up and hope it doesn't eat your engine up in the process. Other than that ...........

Some of the minor problems with HHO is that it is an uncontrolled release of H2 the way most people do it (which is also releasing Oxygen), it takes a -lot- of power to release the H2 fast enough to do a lot of good and then there's the problem of hydrogen embattlement of metals.

It's a lot easier to just drive a G1.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BOOM!

Well then let's not tell them about this,

"A patent issued to Charles H. Garrett on July 2, 1935 and called an ELECTROLYTIC CARBURETOR."

Patent US2006676 - Electrolytic carburetor - Google Patents

I once ran the numbers to see what it would take to generate enough H2 to run my Honda CRX-HF on H2 instead of gas. It would have taken about 3 or 4 times more Hp to run the electrolysis stuff fast enough to run the engine than the power of my engine. Of course you can add some sulphuric acid to the water to speed things up and hope it doesn't eat your engine up in the process. Other than that ...........

Some of the minor problems with HHO is that it is an uncontrolled release of H2 the way most people do it (which is also releasing Oxygen), it takes a -lot- of power to release the H2 fast enough to do a lot of good and then there's the problem of hydrogen embattlement of metals.

It's a lot easier to just drive a G1.
Oh they aren't trying to run cars off of it, they just enjoy melting through aluminum cans and making small bombs out of it haha.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Oh they aren't trying to run cars off of it, they just enjoy melting through aluminum cans and making small bombs out of it haha.
OH, in that case just ignore everything after BOOM!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts