Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in my first 300 miles of driving the new Civic I drove it pretty nicely and have averaged right near 50mpg which is the EPA's average mileage. Well yesterday I was running a bit late to go pick someone up at the airport so faster driving was needed. I was barreling down the freeway at 70mph holding ~75mpg instantaneous lean burn :shock: ! I got off at the exit ramp to the airport which slows down to a 30mph zone pretty quickly and suddenly I'm driving about half of it in the electric only mode! The car was indicating 52mpg when I got off the freeway.

It's a long story, but I ended up driving through each of the three parking garages. Up one story drive around and go to the next. Up 6 stories, drive around and back down, last one, up 4 stories around park and then back down. Drive through the airport, get lost again and finally figure out the correct exit. All this extremely inefficient driving with lots of stops only lowered the mpg to 48! I then got back on the freeway and proceeded to drive back hom in some traffic in a similar fashion, the mpg went back up to 49 with little to no reguard for mileage.

Needless to say, freakin impressive!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ended up getting out the door for $7 over window sticker, but that was because we knew people at the dealership. Right now in my area anyways, there's a waiting list and people are paying ~$1500 over for them. I can't even imagine how california is.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Awesome indeed! Keep us posted. :D

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, this shouldn't really count because it was mostly downhill, but I did manage to get just a tick over 70mpg last night over ~20 miles. A good bit of it was flat freeway at 55mph though.

I suspect 70 or maybe 75mpg would be the realistic higher limit for a hyper miler.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
I see the lifetime mileage is creeping up at greenhybrid as engines are breaking in. :D

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Rick:

___I think your might be right about the peak capability of the HCH-II year round. I test drove one the other day and although it was not setup properly, an 80% city/20% highway in 39 - 40 degree temps netted just 64.2 mpg. I felt it was a bit heavy for some reason? I have driven a friend of mines 03 w/ a CVT for well over 50 miles inner city and 100 miles highway. ~ 40 miles of testing in a pure P&G scenario as well ;) She will easily nail 100 + mpg in warmer temps in a P&G and inner city depending on traffic, 80 out on the highway, and felt like there was some room for improvement over and above those numbers. The 06 felt out of sorts for those kind of numbers even though I did not really get the chance to ring it out for all it was worth let alone it being brand new, not setup, and in non hypermiling conducive temps. Just a feeling is all. I am still in the camp that believes the HCH-I w/ a stick will eat the HCH-II alive in a head to head.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

·
Registered
8 Posts
Honda Civic Hybrid 2006 mpg

I have driven my (we, increasingly my wife and I) 2006 HCH a total of 896.6 miles after taking delivery. I have put 21.0 gallons of 87 octane non-ethanol fuel in the vehicle, for a 42.6 mpg over the entire mileage accumulated in the undulating road of central Nebraska. I estimate that 60% of that total mileage is open road versus city driving. Lexington, Nebraska has only about 13,000 people so "city" may not be the correct word (there are 2 stop signs between home and office).

Am I disappointed in the mpg? Not yet, because I am hoping for better as other forum participants have indicated this too will pass with "breaking in" and the car is convenient is so many other aspects, e.g. gauges, controls, interior light dimming, solid sounding doors when closed, a driver's seat that I can raise sufficiently so that my knees actually can bend, etc, etc.

I am so impressed after less than 1000 miles that I am trying to figure a way to convince my wife that we would be better off in the long run if we traded in our 2001 Honda Accord (2 dr, 6 cyl, 44,000 miles and sitting in the garage) for a second HCH.

Doug Lynn
(the guy who originally wanted an Insight)

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Doug Lynn:

___Do not sell that 01 Accord so short as it can do some serious damage to the EPA when driven like your hybrid ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Rick said:
Ended up getting out the door for $7 over window sticker
Did you mean MSRP or sticker? Because they are not the same thing. Many dealerships add numbers to the MSRP for their sticker price.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Window Sticker. The one Honda puts there from the factory. So I guess that would be MSRP.

·
Registered
8 Posts
MPG, Window Sticker, and Manufacturing Location Info

I paid window sticker/MSRP of $21,850 plus $550 shipping to the Honda dealer in McCook, Nebraska for our non-nav HCH.

After 1016 total miles, the computed/displayed average mileage has risen from around 42 to 46.2 mpg.

The window sticker says:
US/Canadian part content = 70%
Japan = 15%
Note: Parts content does not include final assembly, distribution or other non-parts cost.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do me a favor and watch a trip odometer when it reaches ~63 miles. Mine starts recalculating mpg around 63 miles, so resetting trip B to calculate a tank average is worthless. This is an issue some civics seem to be having, I'm waiting for Honda to figure out a software update or something.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Rick:

___There are quite a few HCH-II owners that have the 63 mile Trip A/B FE reset bug. IIRC, there was an individual over at ToV that had or was going to have his gauge cluster replaced to cure his HCH-II of that ill. Honda definitely knows about it but is not coming up with a solution for all just yet. Most wouldn’t have a clue but anyone with game gauge experience would notice it in a heartbeat as you did already. Head on over to ToV (Temple of Vtec) and take a look in their IMA hybrid forums for the goods.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Rick said:
Window Sticker. The one Honda puts there from the factory. So I guess that would be MSRP.
Oh, sorry to hear that. MSRP is already an inflated price with a built profit margin for dealerships. I was hoping you paid under MSRP, so to pay any amount over MSRP is not good.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
xcel,

Yeah I saw those threads about the gauge cluster issue. I was hoping maybe they could fix this without having to remove and replace anything. I'm sure they'll have a TSB for it soon enough.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Rick

Hows the fuel consumption on your HCHII? Is it improving with the warmer weather

Regards

john

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Been doing good. I did manage to reach 60mpg one way thus far, but 55mpg is more like it. The weather has been swinging back and forth between nice and cooler as of late (we finally got rain!). Around town if you drive it like everyone else getting around 45mpg, on the freeway if you keep it nice and stay at 65mph 55mpg is very obtainable. Just drive it like everyone else and I'm still getting a tad over 50mpg.

It's supposed to be back in the 80's by the weekend so we'll see how she does. The thing I'm most curious about is how much effect the AC will have on the summer mileage.

I've still got the Insight, but I'm finally getting serious about advertising it this week. I've put it back to stock as much as possible, I've just been busy with a ton of other things.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Re: Honda Civic Hybrid 2006 mpg

Doug Lynn said:
I have driven my (we, increasingly my wife and I) 2006 HCH a total of 896.6 miles after taking delivery. I have put 21.0 gallons of 87 octane non-ethanol fuel in the vehicle, for a 42.6 mpg over the entire mileage accumulated in the undulating road of central Nebraska. I estimate that 60% of that total mileage is open road versus city driving. Lexington, Nebraska has only about 13,000 people so "city" may not be the correct word (there are 2 stop signs between home and office).

Am I disappointed in the mpg? Not yet, because I am hoping for better as other forum participants have indicated this too will pass with "breaking in" and the car is convenient is so many other aspects, e.g. gauges, controls, interior light dimming, solid sounding doors when closed, a driver's seat that I can raise sufficiently so that my knees actually can bend, etc, etc.

I am so impressed after less than 1000 miles that I am trying to figure a way to convince my wife that we would be better off in the long run if we traded in our 2001 Honda Accord (2 dr, 6 cyl, 44,000 miles and sitting in the garage) for a second HCH.

Doug Lynn
(the guy who originally wanted an Insight)
How interesting, I was like you and tried out 3-different yrs. of the Honda Insights but ended up with a new HCH II, 2006.

I Love it.

Tigerhonaker

1 - 20 of 21 Posts