Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are pics from under my Insight. Are the circled areas jacking points (i.e. good points for a floor jack).

·
Registered
366 Posts
I would suggest using the jack points that are explained in your manuel.

·
Registered
91 Posts
nope the jack points are along the seam where the body sheetmetal meets under the door lip you should notice a slight reinforcement if not check with your manual or some one that is used to working on unibody cars. what appears that you have circled would put a dent in your floorboard

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think so...

Thorian and Gomarlins:

I think these are safe. If you look under the car, they appear to be part of the "frame" (or whatever it is the Insight has--some sort of reinforced channel that runs the length of the car on each side).

The problem I see with your suggestions is that if you use the reinforced jack points under the doors, where are you going to put the jack stand?

That's where I put the jack stand, and I use the area in the picture to jack with my floor jack.

I know it is kind of backwards to use those points and then ask if it's okay, but I was in a pinch as I was having a problem with my ramps.

And jacking these areas did work...I jacked the car high enough with the front ones to put jack stands under the front and back at the same time and did not dent my floor boards. I guess I just posted to make sure that I wasn't just lucky and to let others know you can jack there if that is in fact the case.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
I raise my car onto jackstands every 2 weeks for cleaning. I always do it the same way, and use the jack points in the manual. Each side of the car has 3 jack points. They are narrow reinforced tabs that protrude almost 2 inches. I start on one side of the car, use a floor jack on the middle tab, and put jackstands under the front and the rear tab. Then I do the other side. Then I lie down and scoot under the car with a work light and proceed to wipe down everything so it is new-car clean. removing the wheels first affords better light and visibility while under the car......Billy....

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are right...

Whether those points I used are good or not, there is that third point that I was unable to find on my car. Another forum member was good enough to email me the page from the factory service manual (thanks, Kip) that shows the jacking points. That is obviously the safest way to go. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey Insighters,

I just jacked up my car using the center lift points and placed a jack stand under each front lift point. It seemed a little precarious and I am a little worried about it. I put bricks down as wheel blocks, but once the wheel is in the air, how do I lower the car again? Do you people bother to use wheel blocks? If someone can give me detailed, step by step directions on the proper way to lift the car and put it on four jack stands and then lower it again I would be very grateful.

Thanks, Hunter

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Hi bug girl; no, it is not NEEDED. However, I display my Insight at cars shows nearly every saturday, so I enjoy keeping absolutely clean, even the engine. I remove all 4 wheels and wax the back side, so brake dust does not stick very well. I am single, and i guess i have nothing better to do; its just a hobby. billy......

·
Registered
700 Posts
bug_girl said:
Oh, that's different, if it's on display. Thanks, i feel a lot better now. :D
Yeah...

3-4 weeks between wheels-up, white-glove cleaning is perfectly acceptable.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Billy:

___Given its ~ 1,900 miles from my door to yours and the 3,800 mile round trip would cost me about $70.00 in fuel, would you mind doing a full blown car show type detail for me on the house? It might be worth the trip given the attention to detail you most certainly provide to our little beauties :D

___Good Luck at the shows.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:konfvv79][email protected][/email:konfvv79]

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Hi Wayne; sure, I would be pleased to!! I would even wipe down the entire underbody, engine, and clean and wax the back side of the wheels. Billy....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts