Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Uh, anyone know exactly how I can raise the front of the vehicle so I may change my oil and tranny fluid? There doesn't appear to be a crossmember under the engine under which I could put a floor jack, and the only horizontal member (underneath the rad/AC condenser) doesn't look strong enough to support the car. And the aero pieces prevent using ramps (even if they are removed, it doesn't look like it would clear).

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Right behind the front wheels and in front of the rear wheels are the spots where you can jack up the car. I think the owners manual points it out in the section on changing a flat. I've had mine up and down several times on a lift using these points. I think they are the only spots where you can put the weight of the car on without damaging anything. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,920 Posts
There are three points on each side for jacking. Jack in the middle one on each side, (about mid door location) put a jack stand under the front jack point and the rear wheels will be on the ground. Lots of room for a creeper underneath. I believe the owners manual shows the location of the jack points. By jacking in the middle, one side will be completely off the ground allowing the jack stand to be put under the front point. Or else get a set of ramps and drive up on them. Rhino ramps are the ones to use. if my memory is correct..........Willie

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I do know about the jacking points. However, after raising the car so the wheel is more then 4 inches off the ground, things start to look scary. I'll give it another try this afternoon...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Jacking...

I read somewhere that the yellow steel ramps WalMart sells ("Ultra-Ramps") will work with Insight when you use the accessory extensions with them (WalMart also sells the extensions).

You can see them by clicking on this link:

http://www.autoramps.com

I bought a set a few weeks ago at WalMart. The ramps were about $16.80 and the extensions about $15. I haven't tried to use them as it isn't time for my first oil change, but I think with the extensions they will work. I think someone on Yahoo's Honda-Hybrid group said they would.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to let everyone know, I was able to lift the car without causing any damage.

I used my floor jack (jacking pad protected with thick fabric wad) to raise each side of the car via the front jacking point. I lifted the drivers side, shoved a ramp under the wheel, then repeated for the other side. No problems, though it DOES LOOK very precarious.

I wish Honda would have included a jacking point under the engine.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,920 Posts
It is a lot easier if you jack at the center jack point on each side. Place Jack stands under the front jack points. Let the vehicle back down on the rear wheels. Thats the way I do it for oil changes and while I did the modifications to my Insight, and the vehicle was on the jack stands for app. 2 months. Lots of room for a creeper underneath. .....Willie*

·
Registered
366 Posts
Those extensions look wonderful and would help when I work on the S2K. I need to get those.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I picked up some Ramps that my brother used to get the front end of his low ride extreme up I think they were like steel horse 2000's or something basically they are a recycled plastic ramp with verry shallow tire channels there are about 2 inches clearence on my insight when I pull up them on his s10 there is like 1/8 inch clearance (his sits 2 inches off the deck)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts