Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gents First post

I've bought a 2005 Insight from Japan. It's due for delivery here in NZ in about 5 weeks time. It's coming with a double din CD mini disk that will go in a bin pretty soon after because it looks awful and will need a band expander.

I want a replacement that's functional but really plain looking so that no one is encouraged to break in. I work away from home sometimes and the car will be left in the airport car park for 5 days at a time.

I've seen this on Ebay and wondered if it would work OK:

New Honda CR V CRV Radio Stereo 6 Disc Changer CD Player w Clock Factory | eBay

Apart from the radio i'll have to see about any other problems when the car arrives. Unless I get evidence of a recent service in Japan then that's probably first stop. A 2005 car with only 60K on the clock may also be running round on ancient tyres, I can get hold of Bridgestone Ecopias.

Cross your fingers for me. Any advice gratefully received.

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
Hi Lucky,

Welcome to the club and congrats on a nice car!
It should fit, as double din is a worldwide standard. In fact the plugs should be identical as well.
In the US DM the single DIN OEM stereo out of the CR-V also has the amber color backlight which a lot of folks like because it matches the OEM Insight radio, and dash colors. Probably same with JDM.
You may have some additional options, such as some Gathers JDM units. Some of those were really fancy. Or, for the price of that new CR-V unit, you may be able to get a nice Pioneer double DIN navigation system that is "factory looking".

HTH. All the best!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
CRV one ordered up. It will match the dash style and the orange backlight will fit perfectly at night. It won't give anyone any encouragement to break in when it's parked at the airport. I'm working away 8 weeks this year.

Knobs and buttons are great after 8 hours pushing a mouse - retro simplicity has a lot of appeal.

I've got about 200 cassettes i'll be able to listen to on the way to work too - showing my age :)

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
I also prefer stock, with simple, understated design matching rest of vehicle.

Casettes are making a comeback, by the way :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts