Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Jaws of LIFE and Hybrids

A buddy of mine who is in the armed servies has many firemen buddies who ALL claim to hate the Prius. Why? Supposedly when they have to extract someone with the jaws of death, and they cut the top door frame, that is where toyota's power wire harness goes to the battery. So resuce workers may get a zap when helping you out.

Does anyone know:
A. If this is true
B. Is the power wire harness from the battery to the engine on the G2Insights are located in the same place?

Thanks

Dennis

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're "JAWS IF LIFE"
Having shot news of guys using these they can be dangerous no matter what car...
Does anyone know if the battery power harness runs down the door frames at the top? Or did they place them under the floor board?

The insight and prius are two VERY DIFFERENT types of hybrids with different power usage.

D

·
Registered
625 Posts
I seem to recall reading an article about a Honda dealership that held a demonstration for firefighters about where to cut into a hybrid. Since is was about "hybrids" rather than "Insights," it makes me think that perhaps they ARE wired the same way. But personally I have no idea.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I still work part time for a fire dept. This is news to me. We've looked at both my hybrids and a Prius and all high voltage cables I've ever come across are on the bottom of the car. The airbag inflation cylinders may be in the A pillars, and some cars (like Subarus), have high tensile strength steel cages that are extremely difficult to cut through, but the high voltage lines running through the upper structure of a car is something I've never seen at this point.

·
Registered
702 Posts
AFAIK, all hybrids have the high voltage wires running under the car, and encased in very bright orange covers, so as to be very noticable and distinct for safety's sake

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Thats just a urban myth, like the one about state tropers keeping a can of coke in their trunk for washing blood stains off the highway.

Why would any automanufacture run high voltage cables over head or through the pillars? :-? They are center of the car where the drive shaft or propeller shaft should be.

·
Registered
416 Posts
It's true that hybrids pose new problems for the fire service but I have never heard of this one. Know what the first thing a FF does upon arriving at the scene of a serious accident? He cuts the battery cables to prevent fuel-lighting sparks from shorts and possible post-accident deployment of the airbags. High-voltage hybrid lines pose new problems though...

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
I have a PDF for firefighters, on how to cut up and disable honda hybrids.
1 meg file, can't attach below.
how do I send it to thee?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey, if you can email it directly to me, i can get it to people in Memphis City and Shelby County resuce teams.

They really need to have this for everyones safety.

email me at

DennisATaustinallenDOTcom

Thanks
Dennis aka Denicio

·
Premium Member
41 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
A buddy of mine who is in the armed servies has many firemen buddies who ALL claim to hate the Prius. Why? Supposedly when they have to extract someone with the jaws of death, and they cut the top door frame, that is where toyota's power wire harness goes to the battery. So resuce workers may get a zap when helping you out.

Does anyone know:
A. If this is true
B. Is the power wire harness from the battery to the engine on the G2Insights are located in the same place?

Thanks

Dennis
I own a 2010 Prius. When the airbags are deployed, the computer shuts down the traction battery circuit. It is a non issue. And yes, the high voltage wiring is under the center of the car.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
cutting up insights safe

well tonyrenier, in the link above threads, you will see the insight high voltage cable is all on the bottom of the car. It is incased in an orange conduit. The only thing you will encounter on cutting off the top side of the Insight will be air bags. The above link also says once the ignition key is turnned of the 100v is off, but recomends cutting the negative wire of the 12v bat in front. (As this would disable air bags too.)

But from what I see on my car:
If the front side of the car is not accesable because of an accident or under water, open rear hatch, remove spair tire, open small steel cover with screw driver, turn off 100Amp breaker.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Ive fooled with the hybrid battery and its off with the key. Thats the clunk you hear in the rear when you cycle the key. Easily as the switch is to flip I doubt it would take that much of a hit for it to flip on its own and if the ima system detects any shorts, voltage that does not belong there it too will trip it.

If I got in an accident Id worry more about getting out of the car than anything else.

·
Registered
164 Posts
All hybrids that I know of including the Prius' high voltage cables run underneath the car. I know for a fact on the Prius because I helped rebuild one for a mont in a half in Indiana that was in a garage fire that needed EVERYTHING replaced.

The worries with the upper part of the doors is most likely the side curtain airbag inflators, and that's on most if not all modern cars that have curtain airbags.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am a Paramedic and i just looked up the Prius in our on-scene software for extrication, iCRS by Moditech, and there are absolutely no voltage lines running in the overhead frame. Everything there is airbag related. Now, that could very well be what the fear is. If you cut through pretensioners or airbag components very bad things happen and they are indeed in the frame above and in the posts. I've seen pistons explode when cut into causing injury to patient and firefighter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
11 Participants
avaloncourt
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing