Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is another project I'm working on over on the Facebook group. This is what started me on the tangent of reproducing the speaker mount rings in my other post.
I purchased a JDM double DIN panel a couple years ago but was disappointed at how poorly it fit. It had been trimmed by a previous owner, so I'm not sure how much of the problem was the trimming job but I have never found another panel for sale since.

I had tried to 3D scan the panel using a ToF sensor and Kinect setup a friend had but that proved to be an impossible task - The scan was filled with enough garbage data points that the output wasn't accurate, so the panel sat on the shelf until this week.

I finally purchased a better 3D scanner, intending to use it for my other CAD and product design projects, and then I remembered the panel.

My intent is to use the 3D scans to import the more complex geometry into CAD which will allow me to "reverse engineer" the part - Really, just copy the contours and mounting points without having to measure nearly as much. I have a few choices for "production" panels if I get that far...

A. 3D printed panels, either produced in-house and sold, or with the files open source and available. With the layer lines inherent in 3D prints and the post processing required, as well as it being a very large piece for most 3D printers and having to be printed in ABS, ASA or some other high(er) temp material, I don't see this as being the best option.

B. Vacuum formed pieces (Either PVC foam, ABS sheet or PP sheet). This would require a buck be CNC machined but parts could be produced relatively quickly. The mounting points would still need to be 3D printed or cast, and precisely glued into place. I think this is the best option that would produce the cheapest parts with a textured "professional" appearance.

C. An injection molding process. I've done one mold before, and something of this size would likely cost around $15k for the molds, but parts would be around $2-4 apiece after that. I don't think there would be enough of a demand to justify such a cost, though it would provide parts of the same quality as the originals - Just mirrored to fit our LHD Insights. If I sold the panels at say $50 apiece, it would take over 300 panels just to break even on the molds. (No idea what these should/will cost, just throwing out a number that seems reasonable to me)

So my progress so far - I have 3D scanned the dash of my Insight, as well as the single DIN and double DIN panels. I mirrored the double DIN scan in CAD and confirmed it fits the contours of my dash nearly perfectly. My scans of the panels are not great since I was still learning to use the scanner, so I may redo those before I start designing.

I'd like to get comments on interest in this project (If any). Suggestions also welcome! Since I have so much freedom over the design I could redesign the panel to fill the entire area where our original cupholders are, and add a tray, area for another piece of audio equipment, USB outputs, OBDC&C mount... The possibilities are endless. I am also considering a fully custom designed center console once I install my CRZ seats, pending measurements - I'm not sure how much room will be left in the middle. If moving the ebrake to the side could be accomplished, a cupholder and armrest could potentially be designed into the center console.

Electric blue Font Gadget Rectangle Plastic
Triangle Fashion accessory Pattern Font Wood
Sleeve Composite material Font Rectangle Wood
Blue Lego Electric blue Machine Plastic
Azure Blue Aircraft Aqua Electric blue
Camouflage Military camouflage Automotive exterior Auto part Rectangle

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Nice work.

If you do this, unless you are going for JDM accuracy (which would also require a L-R steering swap!), this is an opportunity to add space for control buttons, indicators, or small screens (such as a 1" OLED lean burn indicator, etc). Consider a flat area to the left of the screen for mounting such things. Or, perhaps better, leave the outside of the double-DIN panel clean, and design an add-on panel that can be added to that side, so those wanting a clean look can omit the panel, but those wanting to put buttons there can cut and drill pre-scored marks on the back side of the double-din panel and attach the add-on panel perhaps on bosses already printed into the back of the double-din panel. The user may need to make holes in the main panel for the back sides of buttons, display, etc mounted on the add-on panel. (This is assuming that it is cheaper to make one variant of the double-DIN and either 3D print or make more variants of the button panel, than to make multiple variants of the double-DIN panel.)

·
Premium Member
2000 Silver M/T
1,181 Posts
If I sold the panels at say $50 apiece, it would take over 300 panels just to break even on the molds.
FYI, I sold my JDM panel for $200. I know that I would pay more than that for an OEM pefect fit double din kit, but I'm not sure you'd find even 50-60 other people who would. The first double din dash attempt I made with an Insight had a vinyl wrap, and it looked pretty decent.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool project and if you had options for an OBDIIC&C cutout and/or Nextion screen etc that would be great.
I like this idea. Is a Nextion display the "standard" for the LiBCM?

·
Registered
insight 2006 MT insight 2005 MT
207 Posts
There would probably be several people interested in a boat tail if we could buy one that would be 3D printed perfectly to fit as on the following link

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice work.

If you do this, unless you are going for JDM accuracy (which would also require a L-R steering swap!), this is an opportunity to add space for control buttons, indicators, or small screens (such as a 1" OLED lean burn indicator, etc). Consider a flat area to the left of the screen for mounting such things. Or, perhaps better, leave the outside of the double-DIN panel clean, and design an add-on panel that can be added to that side, so those wanting a clean look can omit the panel, but those wanting to put buttons there can cut and drill pre-scored marks on the back side of the double-din panel and attach the add-on panel perhaps on bosses already printed into the back of the double-din panel. The user may need to make holes in the main panel for the back sides of buttons, display, etc mounted on the add-on panel. (This is assuming that it is cheaper to make one variant of the double-DIN and either 3D print or make more variants of the button panel, than to make multiple variants of the double-DIN panel.)
My intent is to mirror the JDM piece for our LHD Insights, not copy the panel exactly. I do like the idea of having some modularity, so potentially adding some "standard" plate small enough to be 3D printed on most machines below the mirror would allow users to design a system that fits their own needs. The idea of filling the entire cupholder area is sounding better and better.

It's always going to be cheaper and easier to make one variant of a larger piece. Tooling would have to be modified for each version otherwise, which is not my favorite task.

FYI, I sold my JDM panel for $200. I know that I would pay more than that for an OEM pefect fit double din kit, but I'm not sure you'd find even 50-60 other people who would. The first double din dash attempt I made with an Insight had a vinyl wrap, and it looked pretty decent.
I'm not sure I'd want to sell them at such a high price either, since the whole idea behind recreating the panel is to make it more accessible. Of course, I'd like to be compensated for my time and recover some of the cost of my tools (And tooling if I take the IM route) but this also isn't my main income, and I'd like for others to benefit. I'd estimate the cost of a vacuum-formed panel around $10-15 in materials plus labor. A 3D printed part would likely be around $5 but be machine-time and labor intensive. I obviously can't promise a specific price point yet, but maybe in the ballpark of $100 is reasonable? I'm also not sure if custom metal brackets will be required for anything else being mounted in the space.

There would probably be several people interested in a boat tail if we could buy one that would be 3D printed perfectly to fit as on the following link
I'm sorry to say this is beyond the scope of what I would consider with 3D printing. You would be better suited to carve a buck from foam insulation sheets and make fiberglass pieces at that scale. If you want a scan of the rear of my Insight I'm happy to help, but this isn't a project that interests me or I believe is well suited to the 3D printing process.

·
Premium Member
2000 Silver M/T
1,181 Posts
I finally found pics of my old dash kit, and my memory of it looked much better than the reality! That said, I'd happily pay good money for an OEM looking piece. I'm starting on my new panel this weekend so I'm no longer the target audience, but I'd probably buy one of your kits anyway to support the cause.

Vehicle Gear shift Car Motor vehicle Speedometer

Automotive design Motor vehicle Microphone Steering part Vehicle

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I finally found pics of my old dash kit, and my memory of it looked much better than the reality!
Maybe a little chunky but that's not half bad! Is that a cut-up original panel that has been fiberglassed over?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here is another project I'm working on over on the Facebook group. This is what started me on the tangent of reproducing the speaker mount rings in my other post.
I purchased a JDM double DIN panel a couple years ago but was disappointed at how poorly it fit. It had been trimmed by a previous owner, so I'm not sure how much of the problem was the trimming job but I have never found another panel for sale since.

I had tried to 3D scan the panel using a ToF sensor and Kinect setup a friend had but that proved to be an impossible task - The scan was filled with enough garbage data points that the output wasn't accurate, so the panel sat on the shelf until this week.

I finally purchased a better 3D scanner, intending to use it for my other CAD and product design projects, and then I remembered the panel.

My intent is to use the 3D scans to import the more complex geometry into CAD which will allow me to "reverse engineer" the part - Really, just copy the contours and mounting points without having to measure nearly as much. I have a few choices for "production" panels if I get that far...

A. 3D printed panels, either produced in-house and sold, or with the files open source and available. With the layer lines inherent in 3D prints and the post processing required, as well as it being a very large piece for most 3D printers and having to be printed in ABS, ASA or some other high(er) temp material, I don't see this as being the best option.

B. Vacuum formed pieces (Either PVC foam, ABS sheet or PP sheet). This would require a buck be CNC machined but parts could be produced relatively quickly. The mounting points would still need to be 3D printed or cast, and precisely glued into place. I think this is the best option that would produce the cheapest parts with a textured "professional" appearance.

C. An injection molding process. I've done one mold before, and something of this size would likely cost around $15k for the molds, but parts would be around $2-4 apiece after that. I don't think there would be enough of a demand to justify such a cost, though it would provide parts of the same quality as the originals - Just mirrored to fit our LHD Insights. If I sold the panels at say $50 apiece, it would take over 300 panels just to break even on the molds. (No idea what these should/will cost, just throwing out a number that seems reasonable to me)

So my progress so far - I have 3D scanned the dash of my Insight, as well as the single DIN and double DIN panels. I mirrored the double DIN scan in CAD and confirmed it fits the contours of my dash nearly perfectly. My scans of the panels are not great since I was still learning to use the scanner, so I may redo those before I start designing.

I'd like to get comments on interest in this project (If any). Suggestions also welcome! Since I have so much freedom over the design I could redesign the panel to fill the entire area where our original cupholders are, and add a tray, area for another piece of audio equipment, USB outputs, OBDC&C mount... The possibilities are endless. I am also considering a fully custom designed center console once I install my CRZ seats, pending measurements - I'm not sure how much room will be left in the middle. If moving the ebrake to the side could be accomplished, a cupholder and armrest could potentially be designed into the center console.

View attachment 97266 View attachment 97268 View attachment 97270 View attachment 97267 View attachment 97269 View attachment 97271
This is SOOO COOOL
Love how tech is getting more and more affordable to do cool projects like this

Very excited to see updates and would love to see seamless integration with the Nextion screen.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sign up for the waitlist, I'll happily pitch in. Maybe there's a way to make the cup holders deeper to account for the bigger radio 🤔
I haven't removed the lower console to check, but this thought had crossed my mind.

I say make center console area ones.
This is the ideal scenario. I have several ideas for how to make this work, but I'll need some junkyard parts to try them out... I installed the CRZ seats this weekend and lost about 1/2" of clearance, so I haven't decided whether the center console cupholder idea is dead yet.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Progress on the JDM double DIN piece:

I have done several higher-resolution 3D scans of both the USDM and JDM pieces and stitched them together. I am now tracing the contours of the pieces to form a new solid model in Fusion360. I expect this to take another 3-4 days before I have a printable model for mockup.

In other related news, I finished installing my CRZ seats and measured the space between the seats. I was pretty sure a Honda Fit center console would fit the space, and that the parking brake and hole for the shifter were in the correct locations, so I stopped by a local wrecking yard today and while I was there I picked up a center console. It's dirty and cigarette burned, but it was $14 and it's just for fitment testing...

Well, the bad news is it doesn't fit. The cupholders are too deep and hit the shift linkage, and the console doesn't quite reach the rear panel behind the seats. This was the closest panel to what I am envisioning for a center console, so I will likely have to design this part from scratch as well. The benefit would be two cupholders between the seats, and room for additional switches (such as for heated seats)

White Vehicle Light Motor vehicle Hood
Outerwear Textile Grey Denim Bag

·
Registered
201 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I saw a picture of a 2010-2011 insight console and thought bit might be a good starting place. Front pocket looks removable and moves cupholders back to the ebrake area
That looks like a great layout for retrofit but I think it's too short and the shifter is in the wrong location. I'll keep an eye out for a console in tye wrecking yard to double check it though.

I was thinking more along the lines of something like this - 905-265 Redesigned Center Console by IL Motorsport | MossMiata

Whatcha think, @AfterEffect?
I'm a larger guy but when I ride in the passenger seat in my Insight I'm not sure there would comfortably be enough leg room for drinks on the side. I'll mock it up and try it though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts