Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Santa was nice to me and I got a double-DIN Android car head unit with an oversized 10.1" screen and lots of options to replace the aforementioned radio.
I have almost everything I need, I even have a Honda-to-ISO adapter and a Honda-to-standard antenna adapter.
But where on the Honda/Mitsubishi NH167L side will I find:
a) the rear view cam signal
b) the steering wheel control wires/signals

If anyone needs the Mitsubishi NH167K, it will be given to good hands once I managed to pry it out of the car and replace it with the droid.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
How hard can it be to remove the stock radio?
a) Remove the cover containing the cigarette lighter and the AV-in
Check
b) Remove the access cover from the small compartment above the lighter
Check
c) Locate and remove the screw that holds the radio
Check
d) Remove glove compartment and push radio out
erm...
Won't budge.
Push again.
Nothing.
It's cold, dark, wet and I am frustrated.
Is there something missing?
I even tried to pull the radio out, using the display as a handle ...
Nothing.

What am I missing?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Merry Christmas.
Exactly those steps, but the housing won't separate from the dash. It fits so tightly, that I can't fit a spudger to pry it open.
WTF?
I may have to apply more force. Usually I try to avoid doing the Clarkson to sensitive equipment, but I may have to go for a bigger hammer, indeed.

Is the pinout of the Nav/Radio connectors documented anywhere?

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,431 Posts
Take like a wooden rod... I used a hammer but like the handle part of it not the head... there's like a metal bar that kinda goes down on the glovebox side of the radio. I used that as a fulcrum and propped the hammer handle against it in the middle and the end of the handle against the back of the radio and pushed really hard. Eventually one of the plastic clips will pop out, and then the whole thing will go.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
As far as pin outs go, I always recommend using wiring adapters. (Metra is a major supplier of them) professionals use them because it is way faster and trouble free. It also make things reversible.
I did find quite a bit of information by Googling “ 2010 Honda navigation pin out”.
I would think that there must be folks in Australia & New Zealand That have replaced the head units from JDM Honda vehicles. See if you can find a Civic (for instance) forum from down under that might give you valuable information.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I pulled from within, acting with the lever to the place as it is designated here:

Also:
Remove unit.
https://ameblo.jp/bigsun927/entry-10672336965.html
???????????????????? | ??? ????? by ???? - ????
?????? ??????? ????????? , ?????????? ?? ?????!!! - ????????? - ????? ????????? ??????????? Honda Hybrid
https://www.drive2.ru/l/455156033531153039/
????????????????????? | ??? ????? by ??? - ????
Android plug multi-wheel.

Try search words in Japan:
honda インサイト ナビゲーションのモジュールの除去
OR
honda インサイト ラジオを取り外してください

インサイト - Name "Insight" in Japan

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the JDM headunit out and the new Unit in.
Almost without scratches.
Only when the wires to the hazard light caught, I scratched the panel.
Still, the Japonese Radio Antenna connector is square - not round - and it has the pin in a different location.
Where do I get an Antenna adapter to standard that fits?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WTF? The JDM loom has a square radio HF connector. My adapter has a round HF connector.Square peg, round hole problem. Where can I get a fitting connector/adatpter. All adapters here - for European Insights - have the round HF

·
Registered
210 Posts
WTF? The JDM loom has a square radio HF connector. My adapter has a round HF connector.Square peg, round hole problem. Where can I get a fitting connector/adatpter. All adapters here - for European Insights - have the round HF
You can open the radio and output the wire directly from the board.
Or cut the wires, or pull the pin out of the plug, or use the pin-mother from the other plug (for example, from a computer power supply).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Okay, I have found a square peg adapter in Japan. €5 and €15 s&h
Should be here in 3 to 5 days.
Time to sort out the reversing cam issue....

Browsing through the Service Manuals, I found the appendix from 200 onwards. They have also (some of) the NAV connectors listed there.
Am I right to assume, that on Connector 207 Hands Free Link pins 27 and 28 carry the Microphone signal from the microphone in the roof?
Am I right to assume, that on Connector 213 Connector D pins 7 and 8 carry same signal?
Am I right to assume, that on Connector 213 Connector C pins 1 and 4 carry the reversing camera signal? I would have to feed/control power separately?
Am I right to assume, that on Connector 212 LX/EX pins pins 5 and 6 carry the steering wheel audio controls?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts