Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO I am now in tinker mode.

I will address all the bloody niggles that annoy me.
To start fiddling around with - mainly the electronics - I have downloaded the two PDF "manuals" from this site.
Obviously those are for "Export" models and mine is a JDM, there will be differences. First question:

Am I right to assume that climate control communications between the dashboard Climate Control Unit and the AC is done via CAN-B or Body CANBus? If so, does anyone have the PID's for that bus?
To achieve a positive automated control I would have to have an Arduino with two CANBus shields reading the speed from the main CAN bus and sending AC commands via the Body CAN bus. Geez, life was much, much simpler in the days before everything was controlled by proprietary systems.

The Service Manual states that connector B on the Nav carries:
"HandsFreeLink control unit" on B8/B9/B11/B12/B20/B21/B23/B24. Unfortunately, the Terminal Names are not self explanatory - apart from HFL_MUTE. Does anyone have an idea, how the HFL relates to the buttons on the steering wheel? Given the fact that there is a "HFL_MUTE" I assume it's not done via CAN bus, but rather taken directly from the steering wheel buttons.

If I read the circuit diagram correctly, the Audio Control/Remote is done with a resistor network, but I see no such layout for the left side controls, call/hangup/speak. It's all referring to a miraculous "HandsFreeLink Control Unit". Most interestingly, the 5-pin HFL Switch on the wheel only describes three pins (3/5).

Most annoyingly, the Service Manual does not mention a reversing cam.

Does anyone positively know, which wire carries the reversing camera, what format is it (FBAS?) and how to switch it on and off? Apparently Honda communicates the gear to the Internavi via CAN bus. So I will have to tap into the CAN bus - again with the Arduino - and read the gearbox. Anyone got the PIDs for that? And then switch on/off the camera. Seems like the Arduino will be very busy...

The reason why I am asking is because the use of cellphones and mobile devices while driving is prohibited and we have some ridonkulous fines - up to the equivalent of $2000 - for holding a mobile in your hand while driving.

Now I have paired my cellphone with the Internavi, but I can't talk to that thing. A call comes in and I press the appropriate button on the wheel, the call IS answered, but no audio is being routed through the Internavi. Am I missing something here? Since the Internavi is of no use in its current stae, I have to replace it with something different (and, possibly, better and more modern) based on an Android head unit. Or does anyone know, what I' doing wrong, here?

On another note: does anyone have a (European) source for this thing here?
GA-Net+ Acura / Honda - car bus, monitor, buttons, carPC - Adapter
If everything else fails, I can keep my old headunit and feed it externally with a Windows-PC...

·
Administrator
10,719 Posts
SO I am now in tinker mode.
If everything else fails, I can keep my old headunit and feed it externally with a Windows-PC...
I think that's your only option.

None of the inter module canbus stuff is in the public domain..

Reverse engineering the can bus to do what you want is going to be such a massive, expensive and complicated task that it's simply not feasible IMHO..

Unless of course you have an unlimited budget, time and skills...

Sorry I can't add anything more positive..

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which means that I can kiss the original reversing cam and the left hand side steering wheel controls goodbye? F****** #*§$+%!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Look I know I mentioned it before, but go double-din Kenwood Excelon and never look back, because you won't have to, because it will have reverse-cam support.

@Natalya, thank you, I would go for that, if it weren't for the small issue that Excelons are unavailable here. I would just swap one problem with another. As Excelons are meant for the US market only, I would get the wrong receiver (again) and a non-working GPS (again) due to the lack of maps. I would, indeed, get rid of the funny letters and the Japanese lady that is shouting some strange words at me - but for that I would not shell out about $1000 for a head unit, s&h and 23% tax and duties.
If anyone has an Idea what the equivalent of the Excelon would be over here in Europe, I would be more than happy to go that route....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts