Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lean burn ecu to add lean burn to your us cvt car for better mpg. P/n #37820-phm-309. Free shipping within the us

·
Registered
135 Posts
Guys I wanted to share my experience with this ECU. MPG gains are incredible with LB.

I got 90 mpg on a 20 mile stretch of good road yesterday. Keep the FCD near as possible to 100.

A few observations I’ve noticed with this particular part number and my 04 CVT.

When I get a negative recall I will go into background charge mode and see the amps going in on my OBDII, but the SOC gauge on the car will not rise.

Some code must be off on this ECU that affects my 04 CVT. Assist and Regen work fine. I just override it with my OBDII and IMAC&C. This ECU might be a pain without the ability to override a wonky computer.

Also these gains I’m posting are with Peters instruments. A lot of gain to be had by overriding and controlling regen. The cars computer doesn’t account for road conditions when calling to recharge.

Going up a light grade with AC on and background charging while in LB is impractical. Simply disabling regen until less load Is on the engine is enough to keep you moving in LB.

This ECU is a steal at $400. My only suggestion is to include OBDII and IMAC&C with it.

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
That's really impressive, Richard. My wife drives our LB CVT, and doesn't do that well. But she doesn't work at it. She just puts it in D and the AC in Auto, and drives it. Her driving is mostly in town with a lot of stop and go, and lots on up and down.

Also, to use this ECU you need a different O2 sensor, a special wiring harness to connect it, and lots of pin relocation at the ECU connectors. It's a good deal on a rare part.

Sam

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sam this car has really changed the way I drive. Slowing down to 55 mph adds 20 minutes to my daily commute as compared to driving 5-10 mph over the limit and always being in a line a cars riding 6 inches from each other’s bumper.

I save on gas but really save on stress. I guess it’s just part of getting older and wiser.

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
Oh, I agree. I've done well on trips. You just have to make sure you're going slow enough to stay in the LB threshold.

Sam

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
845 Posts
I'm tired of people indicating how many MPG they get without indicating at what speed. Between 55 and 70 can make the difference of 15 or 20%. It seems like your 90 mpg was result of traveling at 55 mph. I think Sam has brought up a critical point that it's just not a matter of changing the ECU. It's not an easy task to change pins on those connectors.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I always drive 55mph on my work commute. 55mph and 40mph are the sweet spots for insight MPG. If I drive 70mph I’ll get close to 50 mpg.

Scott did the install on my LB CVT. He can be a great asset to the buyer.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Well, after... I don’t know... 6 or more years of waiting for the right time, it finally happened. I’ve purchased the ECM and will be doing the installation ASAP.
I’m sure I’ll be leaning heavily on everyone’s advice and pioneering efforts. I’ll keep you all in the loop, for sure!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts