Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am toying with the idea of replacing the engine and transmission (CVT) assembly in my 03 with a low mileage JDM one. Are there any differences between the JDM and NA Insight CVT engine and transmissions? I know that the JDMs have lean burn, but I just want the engine to run, I don't need lean burn. Also, are there any differences between model years (from 2001 to 2005) that I should be aware of? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Check out the thread "What Engine" in the modifications and technical issues section right now. It pertains to USDM manual transmission engines, but is relevant.

I know in the USDM engines, the manual engine is slightly higher compression and thus more powerful and economical. I believe it can be swapped 1-for-1 with a CVT engine, though you'll need your old fuel rail as the manual engines use a return system rather than a returnless. Lean burn comes from the ECU, not the engine itself, but the JDM CVT engine might or might not also have the higher compression of the USDM MT.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, would the plugs also be the same from NA to JDM? Would there be an extra plug for the lean burn or something? Thanks for the help :)

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Thanks, would the plugs also be the same from NA to JDM? Would there be an extra plug for the lean burn or something? Thanks for the help
Lean burn is from the ECU and primary O2 sensor. If you want a JDM ECU to go along with a JDM engine, you'll need to re-pin or add pins to the O2 sensor wire (most likely).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts