Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be driving a few hours north on Monday to look at what I hope is my next G1 Insight project. If it's as the owner says it is, cosmetically and mechanically, I'll be driving it home. As I did with my blue 2001 a few months ago, I'm starting a build thread on this car to chronicle the journey.

This one has a some miles on it (170k) but it appears to be well-kept and has a warrantied IMA. I'll share more exact details if I buy it. If I've learned one thing about Honda Insights it's that upkeep is way more important than mileage.

It's fun to save and restore another G1. In the last year I've restored/sold 3 other cars (a Prelude, an Insight, and a Cooper S). When I think about what I want to own/build next, I keep coming back to the G1 Insight. Last time it was about curiosity with the goal being to make some money, which I did, to fund a summer writing project. However I think I'm going to keep this one and drive it many years. I also have some more serious mod plans since I've learned a bit about these cars and what can be done.

So, I've started stockpiling parts even before purchase. So far the mail has delivered my S2000 wheel, short shifter, and a few cosmetic repair items. I also got a dead pedal and 6th gen Civic armrest from the junkyard last week, and cut both to size. On the way are Scott's springs, a rear latch, and a few other things.

Excited for Monday's road trip!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Good luck Jeff. Looking forward to hearing about it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
OK so today I picked up a car. Let it be said again that mileage is not something that should scare a buyer - a well-kept car can run like a newish one even with high miles. Well, this car was well worth the drive (3 hours) and exceeded all my expectations. I guess I've looked at so many beat G1s I've got IPTSD (Insight PTSD).

2000 with A/C, 2 owner, 5 speed, 170,001 miles, $4400, about 75 pages of service records from the dealer, new BumblebeeMAX 8.0 battery installed 9/2020, warrantied till 9/2025.

The car needs about $600 to make it perfect - Scotts springs, an S2000 wheel, a belly pan, rear latch, a few other minor things. But the car is in fantastic shape - hood and roof were painted, transmission ISB work done, synchros are in great shape, no issues at all.

So, I have a bunch of parts already here and more on order.

Crazy thing guys, this car has 30k more than the blue 2001 I just restored and sold and it drives better, smoother. Could be dealer service record. Could be 8.0 battery instead of 6.1 rebuilt. I noticed lean burn is way smoother. The battery kept a nearly full charge the entire way home. Best MPG in blue was 73 - I got 75.9 on a 122.5 mile drive home, mostly interstate and country roads, and that's with OEM tire pressure and no belly pan. The car just feels more solid.

Anyhow, I'm very happy. This car is a better place to start from than my last one - much less required, and it runs better. Let the work begin!

A few pics:

EDIT added a few pics...can't get over this grey color...this is the color I always wanted....I know it's the least favorite but I think it's so pretty.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Squeezed in a bit of work today on the car amid other things:

1, got Scott's rear springs installed
2, polished the car
3, began refurbishing the wheels

The car polished up really well. I might have mentioned above, the PO had the hood and roof painted a few years ago. I think they buffed the whole car while they were at it because the paint is in fantastic shape. Also took the strakes off because I'll be rotating the tires soon and wanted to clean that area. It was pretty gross.

I was going to either pay or DIY sanding/repainting/clear-coating my wheels, as they are dull. But just before dark I experimented with my mini dremel buff/polish tool and the results were astounding. You can't tell from the pictures much but it took out all the dull metal look and shined it up considerably. Notice in the first pic the plastic cap shines only, but in the 2nd pic the shine continues onto the metal wheel. I'll post more pics when all 4 are done. The two wheel pics below are before (third pic) and after (fourth pic).

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I've done a good bit in the last week or so so here's an update:

• S2000 wheel installed...
  • got tires rotated and balanced on the inside (goodbye lead weights on the exterior of the rim, I hate that!!!)
  • checked brakes while doing the above, 70% front 90% rear!!! Oh yeah!!!!
  • finished polishing wheels and car...
  • installed my cargo net, visor, new pedals, new logo stickers, a few other parts that came in...
  • still waiting on a number of parts to arrive...a RMM, more stickers, rear mat, speakers, harness, K&N filter...
  • began work on my custom belly pan...car came without...was gonna buy one of Scott's (and still might) but in the interest of saving money and DIY I thought I'd give it a go. The idea here is build a left and a right side so that I can only remove one portion for oil changes. Finished one side today, working the rest in the future...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts