Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all!

Many here have been so helpful on my other few threads since I joined...thank you for that. A short month ago I was with a friend who had just bought a citrus Insight. I am a car lover (especially Honda) but always neglected these rolling suppositories. Also then, my buddy told me to drive his and dang if I wasn't wrong all these years. I was sold at the steering wheel, I immediately became obsessed, and just happened to be needing something to do before my brain died from all the stress in my life (healthy hobbies = survival), and the hunt began for a project car.

After reading these threads for probably 50 hours, achieving novice status, then calling about 15 different cars for sale in the last 3 weeks and driving several, today I trekked to Atlanta (2.5 hour drive) and bought my G1 Insight. I didn't see a section for build threads and nobody likely cares but I like to keep an online diary of what I'm doing so I suppose this is it.

So with this first post I'll share a bit about the car, my first impressions, and my build plans. Feedback, constructive criticism, any help is welcome and appreciated. I've been modding cars for a long time and am a DIYer. Really excited about this project.

ABOUT THE CAR
Car is a 2001 5spd blue with 138,000m. I'm the 3rd owner. Both before me really took good care of it. I was checking Facebook and CL about 13 times a day after missing out on a good one locally. As soon as this came up I called him and we talked for a lonnnnnng time. We are both Honda nuts and before long it seemed meant to be. He froze the ad, and 3 days later I drove up and kaboom it's mine. He was very honest with me and we both felt the price of $2500 was fair for both parties.

Cons are: IMA is dead and disconnected. First cat is gutted. Windshield is cracked.

Pros are: Car is in super shape. Even @Natalya was impressed - more on that later. Zero wear on seat bolsters. I checked all the common issues I read about here and everything seems good - tranny, rust issues, CELs, body panels, fuel lines, rear motor mount, I checked it all. It is wired for and came with a grid charger. It has a mint S2000 steering wheel (and he gave me the original which is in fantastic shape). It has pretty new tires though they aren't the right ones. In the last 10,000 miles or so he did plugs, valve cover gasket, valve adjustment, O2 sensor, front brakes and rotors, EGR cleaning, all fluids swapped, new slave and master cylinder.

The owner was kind enough to meet me at the area of my choosing in Atlanta so I picked a Kroger about 1 mile from Natalya. That way afterward I was able to swing by there and have it inspected by Stark Enterprises. Natalya verified that it was correctly converted to gas only mode, shared a good bit of wisdom with me, and was generally all-around an awesome person. Very thankful.

And oh lifetime MPG is around 52, I know that's often asked.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS AFTER 2.5 HOUR DRIVE HOME
The car runs great. Smooth and quiet and straight as an arrow down the interstate. Gas-only mode wasn't as bad as I was thinking. In fact I might be fine keeping it that way. A/C is insanely cold. Steering, gearing, all the stuff we know...I won't talk about that. Cockpit is so well laid out. Seats are pretty awful after 2 hours. Shocks seem good but maybe it's just such a bouncy car that makes it wear on you. If I were doing long commutes I'd definitely upgrade the shocks, but don't plan to. Gotta fix a few of the buttons on the gauge cluster, they aren't working. Love the old school Honda feel. Feels so unique in the parking lot next to everything else. Have to think about climbing hills but where I live it's mostly flat so it's no big deal. At some point on the drive home I thought to reset the trip odometer and for the rest of my trip (90.4 miles, A/C on all the way, 60-70mph, mostly interstate except the last 10 miles) I got 66.9mpg.

And did I mention....it has a Honda tape deck!!!!!!!!! Yes.

BUILD PLANS
In the next 3 months I plan to give it a full detail, get an armrest, get floormats, a new rear view mirror, windshield, new OEM stickers, and hopefully an affordable front cat converter. I'm estimating about $600 for all of that if I install myself.

After all that I'll drive it a bit more and then make the big decision...(1) keep as is and enjoy (2) sell or (3) invest in a battery of some kind.

Anyhow it was an epic day and I can't say enough about how well the seller treated me, and about how thankful I am for Natalya helping a new owner. I'd owned the car literally about 3 minutes before we met and then the info began flowing.

OK here are some pics, the red one is Natalya's car, the blue one is my car, both at the shop in Atlanta and in my driveway once I got home. It looks good but wait till it's detailed it will look minty.

Thanks for reading...insight on my plans is welcome, if any of you know where I can source some of the things I'm looking for please chime in. I'll update as I go.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Welcome! Have some fun.
Don’t worry about the hills. That’s what down-shifting and higher revs are for!

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,594 Posts
Please include your Location in your Profile, as ALL G1 Insighters have done. Everything you need to do is listed here at ICN. ALWAYS read ALL the post, as you may miss something.
Welcome to the family.
A real nice looking vehicle. IT CAN BE ADDICTIVE.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please include your Location in your Profile, as ALL G1 Insighters have done. Everything you need to do is listed here at ICN. ALWAYS read ALL the post, as you may miss something.
Welcome to the family.
A real nice looking vehicle. IT CAN BE ADDICTIVE.
Thanks, I looked around and didn't see a place in profile to add location. I'm in Georgia, USA. If you have a moment please let me know how to edit profile/location and I will.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,594 Posts
Click on your avatar, top right of the page. scroll down to account settings. Fill in the Location, scroll down to bottom, push SAVE... You are done.

·
Registered
135 Posts
You mentioned an arm rest. I as well think they are a must. Here’s a pic of the best option for our cars.

96-00 Honda Civic arm rest. Junk yard or EBay for around $70. I had some padding and upholstery added to mine.
AC9589A5-31E5-4E9E-99A9-5EC43CED513E.jpeg
E9B79FE3-0275-4566-9F98-74FE7D7CBE74.jpeg

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Subscribed!

Does it have most of the underbody panels? Any interest in economy modifications?
Thank you sir.

It has them all.

I am interested in all mods that are sensible. Only had the car a few hours but I've started a list. I've modified a bunch of cars...this one shall be made more excellent!!!

Got a top 10 list of mods you'd recommend?

You mentioned an arm rest. I as well think they are a must. Here’s a pic of the best option for our cars.

96-00 Honda Civic arm rest. Junk yard or EBay for around $70. I had some padding and upholstery added to mine.
Man those snazzy seats...what the heck!!!

I actually own a 6th gen civic...fine little car. They are aplenty at the junkyard. You might save me some time researching all the many armrest options and tell me why you think this one is the best. And can you send me a link for the fab/install part? I'll get on it if so!!!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Stock rear view mirror leaves a lot to be desired in terms of vision IMO. I picked this video rear view mirror up from amazon for about $120 I believe. It straps right on to the OEM. Had my mechanic wire, probably not hard for anybody with skills to do a stereo install.

It provides such good vision with side mirror blind spot add on’s that I can always keep cars insight with no blind spots. I even deleted the back hatch glass by lining it with reflectex material to block out the sun and heat soak.

only complaint is sometimes a rain drop will get on the camera and distort vision. Not much of a problem in California, probably annoying in Seattle.
D2EE4287-7464-4E20-A125-81B2D11C9C4C.jpeg
5A41DF1C-10C4-4DE8-9622-306C24843364.jpeg
53C07771-3664-4670-AFF5-D84CEF8D2185.jpeg
DAAEDEF5-D1D5-4DEE-AA9C-F07C1847C0D8.jpeg
45F030A2-9652-4B4C-9E59-206B1B01F7FC.jpeg

·
Registered
135 Posts
I got the civic armrest idea from the site. The best part is they are drop in. Fits perfectly. Only have to grind off a few tabs at the front and grind out a small notch in the rear. Slips right in place snugly.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got the civic armrest idea from the site. The best part is they are drop in. Fits perfectly. Only have to grind off a few tabs at the front and grind out a small notch in the rear. Slips right in place snugly.
Thanks for the mirror pics. I'm more old-school, I was thrilled this car came with a tape deck, so an OEM mirror is fine, but thanks.

So the 6th gen armrest drops right in, cool. I assume you secure it somehow with a few bolts somewhere. I'll search around and find the thread. Thanks a bunch. Maybe the plastic colors will match since it's all Honda.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I did not secure the arm rest. It’s a snug fit. Have to get it a just the right angle with the E brake fully up to get it in place. Once there it’s not moving out without effort on your part.

·
Super Moderator
5,090 Posts
Same here. I just dremel'd the front so it fit tight against the console. I jammed it in, and it stays put.

Sam

Reactions: greentrees

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Same here. I just dremel'd the front so it fit tight against the console. I jammed it in, and it stays put.

Sam
Cool. Would you mind snapping a picture or linking me to a thread that shows what needs dremelling? I read the 2 Honda Civic armrest threads but there are no pictures.

·
Registered
135 Posts
As far as replacing the windshield glass, DO NOT take it to a glass shop. They will destroy the door pillars/windshield mouldings.

look up Scott’s KLR3CLR’s video on how to remove. It’s about a $75 or so for the one time use replacement clips that have to be destroyed to get to the window.

Any glass shop will break all the clips on the mouldings and not replace with the clips. You will have to do the dirty work for them and just let them put the glass in.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I was just looking in the armrest thread you posted in. Sam (rainsux) was mentioning problems with the E brake fully depressing down. I had that problem to. There is a piece of rubber lining the space were the E brake handle goes. It all fits differently than the civic obviously but this is as close as it gets to drop it ready. I just took a razor blade and trimmed the rubber that was in the way. It’s all super easy and self explanatory once you get to it. You can’t see any of the areas you trim. Honestly most non Insight people would think it was stock, that’s how well it fits.

·
Super Moderator
8,155 Posts
WELCOME! It is beautiful car and I know you are going to enjoy it. Natalya is a hugely helpful person and a valuable Insight friend to have. Very knowledgeable.

You're a smart guy. You should be able to configure an LTO conversion for a battery. Since you are running in bypass, you can just build it in your spare time on the bench. There are several build threads to choose from.

Again, welcome and keep us up to date:)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was just looking in the armrest thread you posted in. Sam (rainsux) was mentioning problems with the E brake fully depressing down. I had that problem to. There is a piece of rubber lining the space were the E brake handle goes. It all fits differently than the civic obviously but this is as close as it gets to drop it ready. I just took a razor blade and trimmed the rubber that was in the way. It’s all super easy and self explanatory once you get to it. You can’t see any of the areas you trim. Honestly most non Insight people would think it was stock, that’s how well it fits.
Ok thank you so much, I've done a lot of fab work so this will be easy, the intel is helpful, sounds like a little artistry and it'll fit fine. I'm happy that it's a Honda part going in.

Tell me about those seats, I have never seen such...

WELCOME! It is beautiful car and I know you are going to enjoy it. Natalya is a hugely helpful person and a valuable Insight friend to have. Very knowledgeable.

You're a smart guy. You should be able to configure an LTO conversion for a battery. Since you are running in bypass, you can just build it in your spare time on the bench. There are several build threads to choose from.

Again, welcome and keep us up to date:)
Thanks for the warm welcome. Yeah we discussed the LTO conversion...truth is I have many projects in life and for the sake of simplicity I'll likely (if I do go battery) just get a bumblebee if for nothing else for the warranty. With this car I'm not going "all in" and can't spend the brain cells learning everything...just don't have the space. So I need things more plug and play. Still the LTO is superior, from what I've read, no doubt. Just need something more user friendly that doesn't require thought. Who knows maybe I'll change my mind. If the Insight was my primary car I'd definitely do it, but it's not.

For economy, I highly recommended a grille block in the cooler months (partial) and Natalya's brilliant forced auto stop.
Thanks much. Is there a "10 best eco mods" thread you can link me to?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts