Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Thanks much. Is there a "10 best eco mods" thread you can link me to?
Not that I'm aware of, but you can check out Ecomodder for a more generic list. Some of them off the top of my head:

-Grille block - you want to block as much as you can without the fan cycling during normal driving. This prevents as much air as possible from going through the aerodynamically dirty engine bay.

-Warm air intake (particularly in the cold months) - some RV ducting to around the catalyst works great.

-More complete underbody paneling, particularly in the rear.

-Raise tire pressure - NathanC runs his at something like 120psi. I run 45-48, my wife runs 42-44 in her car for some more compliance on rough roads.

-Rear wiper delete

-Antenna delete or relocation

-Electrical load reduction (e.g. LEDs)

-Kill switch, for engine off coasting at any speed - Natalya's FAS is a very elegant way of accomplishing this

-Brake drag reduction springs

-Lighter weight fluids

-Block and oil pan heaters

-Body gap sealing

~

Basically anything to cut rolling resistance (tire pressure and car weight), aero drag and frontal area, or engine losses (light fluids, kill switch). 100-150mpg is very possible if you take it really far, but some compromises are not for everyone.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks all for the help and suggestions.

Did a 5 hour detail on the Landspeeder today...Hovercraft...Blue Bullet...not sure of his name yet. Anyhow it cleaned up real nice, here are a few pics. Of note, I sanded the compromised trim by the driver's door and covered with a piece of matte black vinyl, looks much better. Also check out the muck that came out of the seats/carpet! They weren't overly dirty but still it's much cleaner now.

Next step is sourcing a set of clips for the A pillar trim so I can remove that and get the windshield installed...need some floormats, mirror, stickers too. Heading to the junkyard next week hopefully to get an armrest and dead pedal. Then it's time to tackle the front catalytic converter.

This car is in such good shape I'm tempted to just get a Bumblebee battery and make it complete. Ergghghh $2000 ergghghghhh…..problem then is I have to drive it regularly to keep it alive. And, if I sell I'll need to command a premium price at that point to make my money back. Not sure what to do. Will keep as gas only for the first few months for sure though.

Some pics:

·
Super Moderator
8,148 Posts
Wow. It really is a beautiful car. Just go ahead and buy that Bumblebee. You'll love it:)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Wow. It really is a beautiful car. Just go ahead and buy that Bumblebee. You'll love it:)
Thanks, it cleaned up real well. Yeah I drove a 118k cream puff ($4500) with a warrantied battery a few weeks ago, so I got to feel the car as it's supposed to be. Just not sure I'm ready to put that much money in the car...if it was my primary ride I would but I have a couple other projects so I can't justify it at this time.

Well I ordered my catalytic converter, I'll report back once it shows up and I install, whether it fits or not. I ended up getting the DAVICO #18194 after reading in the threads here that a few members had a good experience. $264.28 shipped and it includes gaskets. I also have a mirror on the way and a few other goodies. Just can't find those stickers anywhere, the dealership wants $74 for all three ("Insight", "HYBRID", and "ULEV") which isn't gonna happen.

I talked to Scott Kulbeck and will be getting a set of clips ordered in the next few days once I pull off the A pillar trim and assess my needs. Once that's done I'll get the windshield done, they quoted $190 installed.

Heading to the junkyard next week, they have one 6th gen Civic and I'm hoping the armrest is intact and not fubar'd...if so I'll be doing that. Also will be hunting for a dead pedal that fits while there.

Did a bit more detail work, restored the headlights, they came out nice!

Passenger before, driver after

Passenger before

Passenger after

·
Super Moderator
8,148 Posts
I talked to Scott Kulbeck and will be getting a set of clips ordered in the next few days once I pull off the A pillar trim and assess my needs. Once that's done I'll get the windshield done, they quoted $190 installed.
Your write-up is a little unclear as to your strategy. IMO, you want to get both side A pillar trim pieces off BEFORE you take it to a windshield shop. A large percentage of the windshield shops don't know what Scott knows about proper removal of the trim, and they break the tabs. So damaged, many of the trim pieces fly off on the road, with huge inconvenience and cost to repair. Removal is easy, as you will find, so doing it yourself is a big gain/no pain option.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Your write-up is a little unclear as to your strategy. IMO, you want to get both side A pillar trim pieces off BEFORE you take it to a windshield shop. A large percentage of the windshield shops don't know what Scott knows about proper removal of the trim, and they break the tabs. So damaged, many of the trim pieces fly off on the road, with huge inconvenience and cost to repair. Removal is easy, as you will find, so doing it yourself is a big gain/no pain option.
Ah sorry yes that is the plan...remove trim myself, order clips needed, have glass replaced, reinstall trim myself.

·
Super Moderator
8,148 Posts
Sorry, I should have mentioned it, but you might want to give the new windshield a good spray down leak test before your replace the trim. I don't think it happens often, but sometimes new windshields leak.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks all for the helpful comments.

UPDATE, I've got a few parts on order: Front cat converter, car cover, touch up paint, new stickers, clips for the A pillar trim, Scott's springs. I also have an appointment for a windshield install this Friday.

Once all that is installed I'll be looking at a rear motor mount...the car shakes pretty bad in reverse when backing up the hill out of my driveway, from what I've learned the RMM is the likely culprit. Hopefully it's not the clutch or tranny, but I don't think so as they seem fine other that this symptom. While I'm installing the springs I'll take a look.

In preparation for my windshield install I removed my A pillar trim using Scott's method but unfortunately some of the clips were broken by someone in the past! Aftermarket windshield on the car and lots of epoxy holding the trim on. Gonna do some fab work and make this all nice again for re-install. Also I just installed a dead pedal I got at the junkyard from a 2000 Honda Accord, it fits nicely, pic below. Need to fill in the 2 extra holes eventually but it works and is snug. Also grabbed some snazzy Honda mats from Autozone, they look nice.

Heading to the junkyard later this week to locate a 6th gen Civic armrest...they have 5 cars there, hopefully one has one that isn't covered in diarrhea. Also still trying to locate a rear view mirror.

So once all the above is done I'll have spent about $900 on repairs/upgrades plus $2500 on the car minus $150 credit for my steering wheel (FS on eBay) which brings my expense so far to $3250 for a lower mileage very clean "everything fixed" G1 insight without a battery which seems reasonable.

I talked extensively to Leah at Bumblebee several times this week...she recommended their "Beeline" refurbished battery after asking me a lot of questions, I get a 3 year warranty for $1390 shipped....maybe a bit less, I'm fenagling something that will possibly save me a bit more. She was adamant that it would perform exactly the same as the "new" battery which is about $400 more, same warranty. So after asking many questions I resolved that this is the way to go for my needs. Probably in the next 1-2 weeks I'll be ordering that. Very good people there at Bumblebee...I considered LTO but I need a warranty.

So all in I'm looking at around $4600 to restore this car to full glory....assuming there are no other expenses (!!!).

I'll update as I go...for now here's a pic of my dead pedal/mat. Not much but had to post something in the way of updates.

Super huge thanks to Natalya and Scott who have been very helpful along the way so far!!!!

PIC:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Another update...yesterday I spent a long time repairing the cracked clips for the A pillar. In some cases I had to build a whole new clip. I used the good side as reference and made sure things were lined up correctly. Once this gorilla glue dries it should hold strong. I used some plastic I had lying around and beveled the edges with a razor so it would be easy for the metal clips to engage.

Also I'm considering getting my first vanity plate. I'd like it to say

70 MPG

but that's already taken plus I wonder if someone will key my car if they see that as it could come across as a bit snooty. So I've been thinking of ideas and I might get the one below, I mocked up a sample:

Here are a few pics of my A pillar trim clip wizardry...not pretty but it should work:

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you are replacing the windsheild, the installer will either have to pull the puck off of your existing window & glue it on, or I asked them to put a normal one on... which opens all of the options for other mirrors... This is what I used (at a much better price). Especially as low as we are with all of the F250/350's rumbling around, auto-dim is pure magic. yes, you have to wire it up (simple) and run the temp probe up to the front, but it was very simple to use follow the existing harness & make it look like it has always been there.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
If you are replacing the windsheild, the installer will either have to pull the puck off of your existing window & glue it on, or I asked them to put a normal one on... which opens all of the options for other mirrors... This is what I used (at a much better price). Especially as low as we are with all of the F250/350's rumbling around, auto-dim is pure magic. yes, you have to wire it up (simple) and run the temp probe up to the front, but it was very simple to use follow the existing harness & make it look like it has always been there.
Thanks for this suggestion. The OG ones are proving hard to find so I might do that. As long as I can get one that holds a Honda mirror I'm fine, I'll ask the installers about that. Much appreciated.

Today after work I zipped to Pull-a-part and snagged a 6th gen armrest for $17. Color was darker than the grey I wanted but it will do for now, if I find another on my next junkyard I'll get it and swap it in. But it's actually nice, it's a close match to the darker seat color so maybe it will work. I could have trimmed it better but I'll find some sort of trim piece to cover the transition eventually. Much better than the OEM center console.

Also I got under the car and inspected my motor mount, the one under the engine. It's shot, which is likely why my car shakes violently when reversing up my driveway. Got one of those on order, $105 eBay isn't bad.

Tomorrow I get the windshield installed and hopefully my other stuff will ship soon and we'll get this thing up to speed!

Oh also another license plate idea:

·
Super Moderator
5,084 Posts
The shaking will get a lot better when you have a working IMA.

Sam

Reactions: greentrees

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
A few updates...this project is coming along quite nicely, and quickly too. The G1 Insight is so easy to work on.

Yesterday I had my new windshield installed. I chatted with the installer the whole time and he knocked $25 off the price "cause we think the same" so it was a quite affordable $175. Then I put my trim back on and the car looks great. I ended up keeping the Insight mirror puck instead of having another one put on, as the installer couldn't guarantee what mirrors would or would not fit. I'm on the hunt for a clean OEM mirror but till then I've ordered a clip-on to use.

Scott's springs showed up yesterday as well, and I installed them early this morning. Looks like one additional coil compared to OEM. The car looks great, I like how the H logo on the rear wheel is visible now. Ride is great, definite improvement. Still feels firm but not as punishing. There is a bit of creaking, maybe once they settle it will lessen. I did re-install all the isolators but maybe this is just how it is. It isn't bad. Install was super quick, about 45 minutes start to finish in my driveway and most of that was jacking the car. Plus I was being super quiet trying to not wake up my little girl.

Next, my cat should arrive next week along with my new stickers and short shifter. Battery is 3-4 weeks out but that will be the ultimate improvement among all the other stuff I'm doing.

Pics:

WINDSHIELD OUT!

UP IN THE AIR

SCOTTS SPRING VS STOCK

INSTALLED

NO RUST, ALL COMPLETE!

BEFORE

AFTER

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Well this car is so easy to work on (for what I'm doing) so this build is moving faster than ever.

Today I installed my short shift adapter. Another quick easy mod, this cost me $14 shipped and can be found here:

It's made for a 5th gen Prelude but it fits perfectly. Throws are about 10% shorter. Nothing dramatic but a nice little difference. No rubbing, 10 minute install. I also removed my shifter base bushings and replaced them with some metal washers for a more crisp shift feel.

I've done a few videos on my YouTube channel, I'll link them below, a video is worth a thousand pictures.

VIDS so far:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I hope these updates are of benefit to other owners in the future.

Today I did 3 things with the Insight:

1, hung out with a buddy who has a Citrus...we drove each other's cars...after driving his unmodified car I can say that my short shifter and my Scott's springs both make a very small but noticeable difference. Also, driving the car around all day on the new springs offered a noticeably less punishing drive. I'd say noticeably more comfortable, but that the Insight is not. Still happy with both mods.

2, my rear motor mount arrived and 30 minutes later it was installed. More like 27 probably. This is seriously easy to install, you don't even have to jack the engine. Just get the car up on ramps/lift, remove x2 17mm bolts at the back of the mount (shorter one is further back, longer is closer to front), loosen x1 14mm long bolt going through the mount, then loosen or remove (you can just loosen them and pull them out so the bracket is free, but not all the way out) x3 of the 4 14mm bolts holding the bracket to the engine. Once that's done you can swivel the mount out of the way of the exhaust and completely remove the long 14mm bolt mentioned above going through the mount, and remove everything. Install in reverse. Be careful to hand start all bolts, the engine doesn't weight much but you want to make sure nothing is cross-threaded. If in doubt take it slow and add some lube to the threads. Make sure you get a few turns in before putting a wrench on it.

Thanks to Scott for helpful install tips.

I drove a couple of miles with the new mount before dark just to test, it has improved the shift feel and there's way less slop when I move in 1st or reverse gear. My stock mount was torn pretty bad, glad I did this. Car seems smoother in general but I'll know more when I drive it tomorrow for some length.

3, my new car cover came in and I must say it seems like it was made for this car. A perfect fit! Very happy with this, and it wasn't that expensive. Here's a link:

Get the 160" one, it's $31.99. Very nice, has three adjustable straps on the bottom (I've bought several car covers for other cars, straps are a non negotiable, don't get the ones with grommets for DIY rope action, this is way better. Also it has little mirror pockets and even a panel for access to the driver's door without removing the whole thing.

Anyhow I'm about done, haven't even registered the the car yet, still deciding on a vanity plate...all that's left is my front cat, new stickers, and IMA battery, all on the way.

Here are some pics of today's progress:

TWO INSIGHTS

TORN MOUNT

NEW OEM MOUNT $105

INSTALLED

TOOL OF THE DAY (for getting the upper bracket bolts loose, very handy with the swivel)

CAR COVER

CELEBRATING ON THE BACK PORCH LATER WITH HOMEMADE FOOFOO DRINKS

·
Registered
543 Posts
That car looks great! Even the wheels look like they haven't seen much wear and tear.

·
Super Moderator
8,148 Posts
That is a great car cover and very reasonably priced. Does it have a soft liner next to the paint?

Great post. So happy to see a new member who is doing "quality" work. The site badly needs a few more:)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
That is a great car cover and very reasonably priced. Does it have a soft liner next to the paint?
Yes, from the description:

Made of PE, PEVA, aluminum film, and cotton, the AmazonBasics weatherproof cover offers impressive performance. The cover’s PE and EVA materials provide waterproof and dustproof protection, while its aluminum film protects against the sun and its harsh UV rays. Even more, the cover comes with a soft cotton lining to keep paintwork safe from scratches.

That car looks great! Even the wheels look like they haven't seen much wear and tear.
Thanks. A few of them are mint-ish, and a few are fading, but they look decent enough.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Your lower back will thank you for putting Scott's springs on.

Great job thus far on my favorite US color.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts