Honda Insight Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Your lower back will thank you for putting Scott's springs on.

Great job thus far on my favorite US color.
Yeah, it's better but still causing pain. Honestly I am wondering if, despite how much I love this thing and how much heart I'm putting into it, I can keep it long term. My back still hurts every time I drive it. I've got a few pads and stuff I'm using but if this continues I can't see driving it much. We will see. I have some back issues anyway from injuries but a car has never made me feel like this. We'll see, it might pass now that the springs are installed.

Speaking of installed, today my new cat converter arrived and of course I neglected my health, dinner, my kids, pretty much everything and went right to it as soon as I had some time. And once again everything was super smooth...never had a car this easy to work on. So much room to move in there, so much room for tools. Man. In 10 minutes it was out, after about an hour total I had the new one in. I'm not a pro mechanic by an means, I just tinker. This car is just like working on a toy.

The one I used is the DAVICO brand...I saw a bit of good feedback on it after searching here so I went for it. It was $190 shipped from Amazon but I noticed their price jumped to $264 right after I ordered. Sadly the welds on this thing are total crap but I did a pressure test and it held. The heat shield won't mount to this without welding tabs on it so I opted to grab some exhaust wrap when I have time to help shield the heat. Also the bottom mounts aren't threaded like the OEM one so I had to use my own exhaust bolts/nuts but no big deal. Other than that it truly is a perfect fit, and well priced. It came with the bottom thick "fire ring" donut gasket, but not the top thin one.

I took the car for a spin after, holy moly it is so much better. The "no cat" noise and smell are both absent now. And the car seems to drive smoother. I'm wondering if the ECU is tuned to work with the back pressure from the cat. Without it there it wasn't running optimally. That's my theory. It seems to have more get up and go. Could be placebo plus I did the rear mount yesterday so maybe everything together is making a difference. In any case, it's running healthy!

Also I sold my stock steering wheel today for ~$150 to a fine fellow on eBay, that helped recover some of my costs.

In summary, here's what I've done in 13 days owning the ECO RKT:
Full detail interior & exterior
Headlight restoration
All fluids topped off
Dead pedal mod
Floor mats HD Honda brand
Arm rest mod
New windshield & A pillar clips
Scott’s springs
Short shift adapter
Car cover
Rear motor mount
Catalytic converter (front)

Still need to install this stuff, all of which is on the way:
Pedal covers
IMA battery
3 new stickers
Blue paint polish
Rear view mirror

Finally, I'm cooking up something special possibly that I'll know more about tomorrow.....errrrrr................

Here are a some pics. My favorite is the tiny "exhaust port" coming out of the engine. Simply insane.

HORRIBLE WELDS ON DAVICO

DAVICO VS. OEM

INSANE LITTLE PORT HEADER MANIFOLD WANNABE THING

LUCKILY I HAD THESE LYING AROUND

INSTALLED

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Yesterday I almost bought a 2nd Insight, the one in Atlanta FS here for $500. Drove 2.5 hours to look at it. Great running car with A/C for the price, but at some point you just have to say to yourself "NO, you don't need any more cars/projects, you will sleep better with less of them in your life!!!" so I walked away. It will find a good owner. I think my driving force was to nab a few parts for my car and then fix/sell it and make some money to offset the cost of my upgrades on the blue car. But again, peace and rest do not have a price tag.

Was happy to see my new decals in the mailbox when I returned home. Before long they were on my car. They look great!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Not sure where you're from but in the northern states I surmise that rust would take out a catalytic before the welds on the Davico would fail. I opted to try heat treating mine with a few layers of rust proof paint, we'll see if it does anything long term.

These cars are definitely addictive. I almost nabbed a second one myself.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Not sure where you're from but in the northern states I surmise that rust would take out a catalytic before the welds on the Davico would fail. I opted to try heat treating mine with a few layers of rust proof paint, we'll see if it does anything long term.

These cars are definitely addictive. I almost nabbed a second one myself.
I'm in Georgia. Yeah you're right. I just hate to see shoddy workmanship.

Today I got a few more things done: pedal covers installed, new mirror mounted, and cat converter heat wrapped. Enjoy a few pics below and also I added a new vid to my YT series which I'll link for anyone interested.j

My Bumblebee IMA is supposed to arrive next Wednesday, so the plan is to install it that following weekend!!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Ho people!

FedEx plans to bring my battery tomorrow, I was so excited I couldn't resist so I removed the old IMA this evening. Took about an hour, anyone can do this and should not pay for it to be done, the hardest part is lifting that thing out. A few bolts were missing including one of the long 14mm ones but it should be fine with 3...I'll leave one of the back 2 empty and source a replacement eventually, it will be easy to get to.

Want to thank @Eli for quick answers to questions today.

I'll be re-connecting the grid charger to the new battery when it arrives...if anyone has pointers/tips on ways to do that better let me know.

My final city MPG is officially 55 without the IMA. Not sure if that is good or bad. But MPG starts over tomorrow!

TTTTTTTTOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I think I have extras of that 12mm bolt, I'll see if I can find them.
It would be super epic if you could find me one. Also do you have any of the IMA switch covers laying around? My car doesn't have one...the one held by the two 10mm bolts....

UPDATE

Today I received and installed my IMA battery from Bumblebee. Removal was one hour and install was 3 more. I could have been faster but I kept being super careful and texting various people because I didn't want to die. I'm pretty familiar with cars but I'm not an electrician and have little experience with voltage, so I wanted to be safe.

Took the car for a short drive after. Well, it's a different car for sure. I only went a few miles but immediately noticed many small things:

• the car has torque down low what a nice thing this is
  • and, I can rev past 4000rpm without getting the "DC converter will shut down soon" warning lights...
  • I have a steep driveway and it still bucks a bit reversing out of it...have to ride the clutch a bit to avoid that
  • quiet start wow wow
  • the gearing is still long and even with IMA you have to stay in 1st and 2nd if you want to move, which I didn't expect
  • all my dash lights vanished
  • somehow my Trip button started working, it did not work before...and I was able to resent the maintenance required light...still don't understand this coincidence
More driving and reports to come! Thanks to @Eli and Scott and Natalya for help and advice along this journey!

Ahhhh.....battery bars at last!

Found this next to the car today...someone's been shedding...

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,686 Posts
They like to get behind the bumper and next to the radiator for some reason.

·
Registered
654 Posts
This is a great group of people. So many folks here are knowledgeable and willing to share knowledge and help. And we have a few folks whose businesses dovetail with our Insight needs. Eli and company over at Bumble Bee are great folks, always helpful and keep us supplied with good batteries and service. Hats off to Bumble Bee. And also to all the folks who contribute according to their abilities again and again and again. Owning an Insight is a group effort. We've got a great group. (y)

Reactions: Ecky

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
This is a great group of people. So many folks here are knowledgeable and willing to share knowledge and help. And we have a few folks whose businesses dovetail with our Insight needs. Eli and company over at Bumble Bee are great folks, always helpful and keep us supplied with good batteries and service. Hats off to Bumble Bee. And also to all the folks who contribute according to their abilities again and again and again. Owning an Insight is a group effort. We've got a great group. (y)
Yeah for sure. I'm slowly working my way through the massive "What did you do to your G1 today" thread and learning tons.

IMA battery is awesome...I'm on day 5 now and love it. My back is still hurting though after driving this car. Wondering how long this will last before I decide I can't take it. I have back injuries and 3 discs are compromised...normally I'm fine, I'm a lifelong runner and do fine but this car is accentuating my injuries. Scott's springs helped a bit but not enough. Don't want to keep sinking money into it (rear struts would be next) to fix something that can't be fixed. I even thought about a seat swap. For now I might order one of those lumbar support cushions for cars and see if that helps.

That said, I've decided to do a few more fixes and have these on order:

• top 2 motor mounts
  • EGR gasket
  • inside panel filter
My very slight rumble when IMA engages has me thinking that I can cure it by replacing the top 2 mounts and giving it a good EGR cleaning, both the valve and the plate and the secret hidden passage I read about. Also I grabbed an inside panel filter while I'm at it, $2 shipped on Amazon, can't hurt.

I'm getting right at 55 city driving now with the IMA which seems pretty good. Acceleration at WOT is fantastic up to 40mph, I'm really impressed. So glad I went with the Bumblebee battery.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
IMA battery is awesome...I'm on day 5 now and love it. My back is still hurting though after driving this car. Wondering how long this will last before I decide I can't take it. I have back injuries and 3 discs are compromised...normally I'm fine, I'm a lifelong runner and do fine but this car is accentuating my injuries. Scott's springs helped a bit but not enough. Don't want to keep sinking money into it (rear struts would be next) to fix something that can't be fixed. I even thought about a seat swap. For now I might order one of those lumbar support cushions for cars and see if that helps.
I'm 31. I swapped my seats out 2 years ago, because I couldn't take the seats any longer. No history of back issues.

I'd say the CR-Z seats I swapped in are not the most comfortable (I'll give that honor to the early 2000's Avalon) but I no longer walk bent over and limp after a long drive.
+Easy swap
+Match really well
+Easy to find
+Relatively inexpensive
+Lots of adjustment
-Big, bigger than stock seats, I'd love if they were 80% size
-Heavyish, helps if you pull out the side airbags
-I'd probably go for something a bit softer, less "sporty"

~

Glad you're enjoying the car! I'd recommend Natalya's forced auto stop mod, allows you to put the car in auto-stop when coasting at any speed, great for getting huge economy numbers if you live in a hilly or mountainous area.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I'm 31. I swapped my seats out 2 years ago, because I couldn't take the seats any longer. No history of back issues.

I'd say the CR-Z seats I swapped in are not the most comfortable (I'll give that honor to the early 2000's Avalon) but I no longer walk bent over and limp after a long drive.
+Easy swap
+Match really well
+Easy to find
+Relatively inexpensive
+Lots of adjustment
-Big, bigger than stock seats, I'd love if they were 80% size
-Heavyish, helps if you pull out the side airbags
-I'd probably go for something a bit softer, less "sporty"

~

Glad you're enjoying the car! I'd recommend Natalya's forced auto stop mod, allows you to put the car in auto-stop when coasting at any speed, great for getting huge economy numbers if you live in a hilly or mountainous area.
Thanks a bunch. Good to hear I'm not the only one. Question for you, I'd post this elsewhere but it seems you've done the research so maybe you know...what other Honda seats are a direct swap plug-n-play, bolt in, no modifcation/welding needed? I've swapped seats in the past on other cars, I wondered maybe if 6th gen (96-00) Civic seats might bolt right in there, I have a set and they are incredibly comfortable. And adjustable. Hmmm.....

As for the auto-stop, thanks, I've looked into some of that stuff...for now I'm just gonna drive the car and enjoy it. I live in a flat area and the G1 is one of 3 cars I own/tinker on so it's not at "obsession" level yet with the mpg. 55 city is very good with me and that's with 103 degree days here in GA with the A/C on. But maybe in the future...

·
Registered
388 Posts
RE: Bucking in reverse....
My driveway is completely flat and the car still bucks in reverse. It’s geared much higher than any other manual car I’ve driven... I’d like to see what it’s speed would be in reverse at 2000rpm, but I don’t have enough room to find out!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I'd wager at least S2000 and Del Sol seats would be an easy swap. Maybe even CRX. And, one can probably make some headway doing research as to which seats are easy swap into those vehicles.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I'd wager at least S2000 and Del Sol seats would be an easy swap. Maybe even CRX. And, one can probably make some headway doing research as to which seats are easy swap into those vehicles.
Yes thank you. Yes, I spent about an hour yesterday reading about seat swaps on this site but the conclusion was that there is nothing that will bolt right in. I thought maybe you might have some fresh insight into that but it sounds like the seat position and bolt pattern in this car is proprietary.

Now, on a positive and much more affordable note, I’ve been experimenting with a cushion and was pleasantly surprised this morning on the way to work, by positioning the cushion directly at the axis/hinge point/crack where the seat meets the seat back, I felt no back pain at all. We will see how the next few days goes but I am hopeful!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Installed my cabin filter today. The plastic bond of chastity was intact so this is the first time. Was quite dirty at 139,000 miles...even holding it up the bright sun didn't penetrate it at all. Easy job, 6 screws/bolts. I was able to just hinge the metal bar down without removing it. Had to make a special vacuum attachment to get in that tight space. Wondering if my A/C will perform better or smell different.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Did the EGR plate clean and EGR valve/system cleaning today. Both were pretty clean I'd say 90% unobstructed but what the heck at least I know it's done. As has been the case this was super easy, quick and no issues at all. I'll be driving it later and we'll see if I feel any difference. Right now I think my main MPG hit (I'm getting 56 city with A/C on) is that I don't have the RE92 tires.

Honestly with the valve itself there isn't much cleaning to do that I'm aware of, other than making sure the spring works in the valve and cleaning out the two ports where it interfaces with the car.

Check out the dead audience in the driveway near my car, snapped these two bottom pics as I was working...

BEFORE

AFTER

PORT CLEANED

POOR GUYS

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Thought I'd update...trying to resolve a very slight jerkiness seemingly when IMA assist engages and/or lean burn disengages....I have another thread on this and will post findings but so far I'm looking into the possibility of a new O2 sensor and/or new indexed plugs and/or a new lower cat. I discovered today that my lower cat has been gutted by the previous owner. So we will see...plugs will be first followed by sensor followed by cat if problem persists.

Gutted cat:

Also I removed my drivers side mount to inspect but it was in good shape, just a very small crack but totally intact. So I put it back in and will be returning the mount I bought to save some $$$. Not a bad install just have to loosen the air box and remove the bracket holding the mount on and it's cake.

·
Registered
388 Posts
56 city whilst running the aircon isn’t that bad. Especially if you have it in Auto mode and not Econ.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Update of sorts....I've thrown budget to the wind and ordered some new RE92s which came in yesterday, planning to install next week. Also I have some indexed plugs on the way and a top O2 sensor, both in the attempt to get rid of a very minor herky jerky that happens when the car transitions out of lean burn and into IMA.

My first full tank yielded 55mpg, mostly city driving with a bit of highway mixed in, A/C on most of the time, with the wrong tires and plugs.

I filled up the other day and am doing a "mpg dedicated" tank. Again, mostly city driving with a bit of highway/state roads mixed in...no A/C, super careful and using all the hypermiling techniques, still wrong tires and plugs...I've done 77.1 miles so far and I'm getting 70.9mpg!!! Pretty happy with that!!!

Also I did a vid for my YT channel on hypermiling in an insight...check it out if interested:

41 - 60 of 60 Posts