Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Insight 2000 MT, 130k mi. Just before going into a lean burn (when the throttle is low enough) misfires, jerks, and bucks (quite severely in lower gears, just annoyingly in the 5th). When in lean burn for a few minutes, normally goes into rich burn for like 10s on the same throttle with a slight acceleration from the consistent lean burn, but now the rich burn phase is 10s of jerky misfire – then goes back into the normal smooth lean burn.

The problem is getting worse, where I can't even drive anywhere from 50-100mpg (5th gear) w/o car jerking as it considers going into the lean burn, but gets there only if I lower the throttle past 100mpg.

The only OBDII code I get is misfire, on all 3 cylinders. Not sure where to start solving this. Thank you for your suggestions! :)

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
If I could guess the single most discussed topic in the history of this forum, it might be this issue. I'm guessing you haven't searched the forum, yet? Search for herky jerky or EGR.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
But don't ignore your misfire code. Make sure you have the right spark plugs and decent ignition coils.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for suggesting what to search for... I tried searching for lean burn misfire, and didn't get much! :) So, just to confirm, my symptoms exactly fit this common problem? Jerkiness in rich burn low throttle, goes away in lean burn? Thank you!

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Spark plugs was the first thing that came to mind, but 'herky jerkies' are notorious for having various causes... Easy to check the plugs though, make sure they're in good condition and then torqued properly, for starters. Check 12V grounds (2 left side/lower air box, 12V neg cable). Pull EGR connector to test if it's EGR-related (valve electronics and/or clogged plate)... All easy stuff.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Just a thought, at 130k miles, it would not hurt to address a bunch of common maintenance items that don't outright fail. That would include

• Plug gap
  • EGR valve replacement with a quality EGR valve and valve port cleaning
  • Valve lash adjustment
  • Check all ground connections
  • Verify vacuum
  • Verify proper functioning of all engine and fuel sensors (much easier said than done, but can be done with some engineering and maybe an Arduino).
  • New upstream O2 sensor
Replacement parts need to be Honda or quality OEM identified here. It is documented repeatedly here the regret someone had thinking they could get a cheap O2 sensor or EGR valve. Each contribute significantly to MPG in they own way, or, the wrong one will degrade MPG or even cause engine trouble.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts