Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, my trusty little CVT O1 w/+300k on it has started lurching at certain rpm's. Here are the symptoms:
1>runs perfect when cold
2>idles perfectly smooth
3>when warmed up, runs rough between 1,000 and 2,500rpms
4>smooths out above 2,500rpm's
What I have done:
1>changed plugs and coils
2>air cleaner, oil, filter, CVT oil
3>cleaned EGR plate and replaced gaskets
4>checked ground wires OK
I have read a lot of threads with lots of ideas but didn't see any conclusions. If anyone has a list of ideas starting cheapest to most expensive that would be great? I don't want to give up on her!
Thanks, Tim

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
I didn't see where you changed the CVT filters. You DID use Honda CVT fluid, right?

Sam

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sam, truthfully not sure where the CVT filter is? Is it external between radiator and trans or in the transmission? Did use Honda fluid. When it was bucking today I did see the rpm moving with it. Seams like it does it when there is more of a load on the engine. If I drive like a manual starting in Low to 30mph then Sport to 60mph then Eco its tolerable. I can still feel is lightly pulsing at cruising speed. You think it is CVT related?

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
60 Posts
Both filters can be accessed by simply dropping the transmission pan. There is a canister style filter and a flat, black plastic strainer style filter (both very visible with pan dropped). It's a pretty easy job. While you're in there you can clean the magnetic debris-catchers

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Right. They're both inside the pan. Sometimes the honda parts guys will tell you they don't exist, but they do.

Sam

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the info! Parts are ordered and I will report back when I complete the maintenance. Ordered them from Hondapartsnow which i have had good luck with.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Have you checked the EGR Valve, try unplugging to see if its working. Check that the 12 volt battery has full voltage. (turn on the lights to get 13+ volts does this make any difference).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MN1Shoot, checked voltage at battery with lights on and engine running and it was at 14.06. Ordered EGR valve (ouch) at hondapartsnow and should have it this weekend. I figured up here in rusty Minnesota I might as well get a new one. I will try and clean the old one for a spare as I have two of these cars. I will replace it and drop the CVT pan and replace the filter and clean magnets. Hopefully Monday she will be her old self again!

Thanks,
Tim

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Check the search box for alternate EGR valves there are some from other models (accord 4) that will work and cost about $20.

·
Registered
148 Posts
All, my trusty little CVT O1 w/+300k on it has started lurching at certain rpm's. Here are the symptoms:
1>runs perfect when cold
2>idles perfectly smooth
3>when warmed up, runs rough between 1,000 and 2,500rpms
4>smooths out above 2,500rpm's
What I have done:
1>changed plugs and coils
2>air cleaner, oil, filter, CVT oil
3>cleaned EGR plate and replaced gaskets
4>checked ground wires OK
I have read a lot of threads with lots of ideas but didn't see any conclusions. If anyone has a list of ideas starting cheapest to most expensive that would be great? I don't want to give up on her!
Thanks, Tim
I fixed mine that had the same problem... And I actually did all those things you did to yours. But it was still a problem... Until I changed the rear motor mount. Now it's as smooth as silk.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Johnmarkzimm, I will add that to my list of things to fix/check this weekend. Thanks for the tip!

Tim

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dropped CVT pan and cleaned magnets, changed filter and fluid. Made no difference but it sure needed the service. Will replace the rusty EGR valve when I get it in a few days.

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just put a new EGR valve on and no change. Again here are the symptoms:
1>run smooth all RPM range when cold
2>when warmed up the engine idles smooth and above 3,000rpm
3>random variation in rpm between idle and 3,000. More under load like going up a hill
4>I don't think the rear motor mount is causing this but it doesn't mean that shouldn't be changed

What I have done
1>check the plugs there almost new
2>coils are new 6 months ago
3>CVT oil and screen change
4>driven like I stole it

Anymore ideas are welcome!

Thanks,
Tim

·
Premium Member
9,945 Posts
Check all the vacuum line hoses. Especially the one at the MAP.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Willie, I checked all vacuum lines and swapped the MAP with the one behind the battery box that has the same part number and looked a little better. No change. I looked at the price of a new MAP and wow, that compelled me to do the swap instead of just ordering a new one. Wondering if I should file and re-gap the plugs or just get new ones? Maybe one is a little on the wide side. Wouldn't you think it would idle rough though?

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Today's results: I replaced the AC Delco 21 spark plugs with Autolite XP5325 Iridium XP"s. At the same time I exchanged the coils that are only 6 months old with one's out of my 2003 which has about 150k on it. Took it for a test drive and Bingo, smooth as ever. No more lurching!! So then because I needed to know I put my 6 month old coils back on and still smooth.

Lessons learned:
1>start out simple and replace plugs unless you have indexed then it's more of a financial decision
2>if you haven't cleaned the EGR plate do so as that is very important maintenance item
3>don't give up, there is a ton of information on this forum and the net

Thanks for all those who helped get me through this! I'm so glad to have my daily driver healthy again! Next target 400,000 miles!

Tim

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Lesson #4. Don't use cheap plugs like AC or Autolite. Use the correct lettered plugs from Honda. Give this little engine all the help you can. Honda didn't go to the trouble of engineering special plugs just for fun.

Sam

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rainsux, I realize that and are going to pursue. I just needed to try something today to determine the problem and $21 seemed to be a safe bet. I would like to know others thoughts on "when" do you know it's time to let them go? This is my first Insight and I bought it with 150,000 miles and of course fell in love with it. I know that at some point I will have fixes like needing to replace the exhaust system that will be tough to justify.

Thanks,
Tim

1 - 20 of 26 Posts