Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take offs are slightly jerky when accelerating from a stop. Mostly noticeable when slowly accelerating. IMA battery seems fully charged, CVT fluid seems at proper level and engine is running great. is this just a trait of the IMA or something normal?

(I am sure that this has been posted before, but could not find it, apologies and Thanks!)

·
Registered
622 Posts
its normal ... fresh tranny fluid and filter smooth it out a bit but its characteristic of the automated clutch and cvt ... give it easy throttle input off the line - like driving a 3 pedal clutch car - b4 you punch it and youll get better results

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its normal ... fresh tranny fluid and filter smooth it out a bit but its characteristic of the automated clutch and cvt ... give it easy throttle input off the line - like driving a 3 pedal clutch car - b4 you punch it and youll get better results
Supposedly she just had the CVT fluid and filter changed, CPO car. Yeppers, I am gentle on the throttle, trying to grow as many leaves as possible. It is mostly noticeable at slower take-offs. Its liveable.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
That jerk is is made worse because of autostop. It’s one of the reasons I either shut off the eco or run it in S driving from signal to signal or stop sign to stop sign. I can’t remember what year yours is, but for all 2010 and most 2011 model years there were software updates that made this much better. You could take it back to the selling dealer and ask to have it connected to the Honda computer in the service area. Tell them you want ALL the software updates.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
All Honda automatics have a hesitation when reversing directions. Like backing out of a parking space. When you shift to D, it takes a beat or two to engage. The Insight just does it after autostop as well. One of the situations I experience the jerk most often is almost coming to a stop making a right turn. The Insight almost auto stops, then jerks back into gear.

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
Actually all automatics will have this delay that have auto-stop. When you come to a stop and the engine shuts off, the fluid pressure in the lines drop, then when the engine restarts you get a second or two before the lines pressurize again. The CVT I owned in the past would be fine if I waited a second or two after the engine fired before trying to take off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is a super frustrating aspect of the Honda IMA system. We had a Civic hybrid (same powertrain) which did the same thing. I always got the impression that bc the electric motor and the ICE are both trying to add propulsion, the software doesn't know who is leading the dance and keeps going back and forth.

Indeed the easiest way I have found to get around it is to put it in S mode while in the city and D mode while on the freeway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Super helpful thread! I’ve had this same problem.

When in Eco Mode, and stopping at stop signs, it seems to help smooth things out when you step on the gas faster than normal.

It seems to jerk heaviest when I let off the accelerator completely, then step on the accelerator again.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Are you sure you have all the software updates? Didn't see what year your car is, so maybe it does not need any software updates, but on my 2010, the amount of jerking decreased substantially after the updates. Many others with earlier Gen II Insights have had the same experience.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Are you sure you have all the software updates? Didn't see what year your car is, so maybe it does not need any software updates, but on my 2010, the amount of jerking decreased substantially after the updates. Many others with earlier Gen II Insights have had the same experience.
I think, from his/her username, that it is a 2010. I have asked, another thread, to get some basic information (year, model, current miles) To a new owner, these 2nd Generation Insights seem to be all alike, but some of us know about the changes as things went along.

·
Registered
10 Posts
2012 - Was this supposedly eliminated by this model year?

Hi,

Read the other thread but since this is newer posting here. So - I had a 2010 Prius for 70K miles. Just acquired a 2012 Insight with 73K. Noticed that most acceleration runs from stop to 25/30 MPH it is not very smooth. So I thought there must be a PCM or recall of some pieces required to make it smooth. Found these threads. So - first question is of course did Honda think they had this resolved with by the 2012 model year? I tried the 37 MPH coast thing and it does seem to help. Second question: How often should the CVTF be changed? The owners manual doesn't appear to have a schedule like I usually find based on time/miles for recommended maintenance items/intervals.

Third question: Much of this forum seems to be about G1 vehicles. Do "G2" owners mess much with replacing battery packs either due to dead cells or packs or to upgrade?

More reading to be done obviously!
TIA for any / all answers!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
The MID (multi information display) sets a code for CVT fluid changes. That usually happens every third oil change or about 30k. Honda owners have been doing frequent fluid changes on automatics of all kinds forever. I don’t think every other oil change is too often. I do think that Honda has reformulated the fluids to better withstand heat, but I still would keep it fresh. If you are a dyi sort, changing the fluid is easier than changing the oil. I think ours got changed the first time at 18k & that smoothed things out considerably. That was long before there were any software updates. You can have a dealer run your VIN to see if the last of the four there were applied to your car.

We honestly have not had any IMA battery pack failure reported here that where not the result of an accident. You slam this tin can from behind hard and it will damage things. In one case the damage turned out to be with control electronics back there. (Owner changed IMA and had no improvement) another thing that happens we just found out about was that big rear hatch window gets broken and the impound lot or body shop does not cover the back. If it rains the well holding the IMA system gets a bath. Not good. Sooner or later we will have some 2nd gen Insights that need new battery packs, but not so far. Now that little tiny 12 volt battery under hood does give us 2nd gen owners trouble. When it gets weak or dies, it seems like there are dozens of things wrong. There usually isn’t

·
Registered
25 Posts
All Honda automatics have a hesitation when reversing directions. Like backing out of a parking space. When you shift to D, it takes a beat or two to engage. The Insight just does it after autostop as well. One of the situations I experience the jerk most often is almost coming to a stop making a right turn. The Insight almost auto stops, then jerks back into gear.
yes I have this problem too, so I guess changing the CVT fluid (just fluid one year or 2000 km with filters and getting all three software updates won't solve this problem :( Yeah so far popping the shifter into S solves this problem but I gotta time it so I don't waste regen!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts