Honda Insight Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 127 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,469 Posts
What was the difference in temperatures of the interior?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Interesting, Jim. I’ve only done anecdotal testing, but when I put my hand under (a couple inches) my windshield with the sun shining on it, I feel more warmth from the sun than when I do the same under one of the tinted ceramic areas. Certainly hard to dispute your findings! Maybe I’ll do a little testing next time I get a minute!

·
Super Moderator
9,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Interesting, Jim. I’ve only done anecdotal testing, but when I put my hand under (a couple inches) my windshield with the sun shining on it, I feel more warmth from the sun than when I do the same under one of the tinted ceramic areas.
Yes, I agree on that. In fact the tint folks have a little demo machine - doesn't everyone - which uses a bright reddish light to shine through their demo filmed glass. One can detect the difference in feel, just as you say.

The reason it doesn't result in a net decrease in car inside temperature is that in the intermediate term, say an hour or so, the tint is causing the glass to get much hotter, which in turn negates any improvement from blockage because the glass then heats the interior. That's my theory anyway.

·
Super Moderator
9,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
What was the difference in temperatures of the interior?
The two car interiors were both the same degrees warmer than the advertised outside (shade) temperature. Both cars were 12 degrees F warmer than the advertised ambient temperature. No improvement from the window film:(

·
Registered
659 Posts
I’ve never put my hand on the glass but will try it, the next time the sun comes out. May take a while for that to happen, here in the Land of Clouds. In fact, I’ll even put my hand on the inside of the glass, too.

I don’t have the ceramic coating, just regular tint, so I’m anxious to see how things work out. Maybe at InsightFest we can measure interior temps with different tints on similarly colored cars and gather a little more data? Would be a fun, little project, doncha think?

·
Registered
2006 Honda Insight MT
636 Posts
Good to know, sounds like a pretty conclusive, well conducted test. Looks like I wasted too much time wishing window tints were cheaper haha.

I read a study somewhere (I'll have to see of I can dig it up) that tint just slows down how fast a car's interior warms up - that it helps for short exposure to the sun with the absorbing the heat, but then after extended exposure it becomes useless from, as you described it, the heated glass heating the interior.

Cracking the windows an inch was shown to have the greatest overall benefit in keeping an interior cooler, or at least as close to ambient temperature as possible.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Have one question. Is the extra 12 cells for 84s worth it? I currently dont have a anything but bcm fooler and the lto conversion. I have the other 12 cells to add. Just wondering if it helps or is worth it. Also what has to be done with bcm fooler for the additional voltage. And do i have to put resistor or adjustable pot in the orange vpin wire to mcm?

Currently my home made bcm fooler pcb has just the 10k resistor matrix . No other resistors inline with pack voltage input. Im at 169vdv pack voltage and i think faked 156. Cant rember as last time i checked my probes slipped and shorted eachother out and didnt get to look at volt meter.

·
Administrator
12,985 Posts
Also what has to be done with bcm fooler for the additional voltage. And do i have to put resistor or adjustable pot in the orange vpin wire to mcm?

Currently my home made bcm fooler pcb has just the 10k resistor matrix . No other resistors inline with pack voltage input. Im at 169vdv pack voltage and i think faked 156. Cant rember as last time i checked my probes slipped and shorted eachother out and didnt get to look at volt meter.
All that information is on here in various threads, searching with keywords will help you find it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you want to save some reading time, the take away; 65% blockage, "ceramic" window film is completely worthless in controlling interior temperature of an Insight. Conclusion, don't waste time and money on window films. (They may block enough UV to save upholstery, but that wasn't the goal.)

Setting: Two identical Insights (color wise) aligned parallel and with hatches facing a bright sunny day. 92F ambient temperature - shade temp I assume. "Soak" time of 2 hours.

Two identical Insights except that one on the right has 65% ceramic window film- first pix below.

Meat thermometer measuring the "soak" temperature of a small glass of water sitting in a shaded part of the back hatch area. Both cars experienced a interior soak rise of 12F. Second pix below.

Hand on glass test. The clear glass is much cooler to the touch than the film covered glass. Apparently the film blocks radiation by absorbing it in the film. Obviously, well maybe not, this heats up the glass, which in turn heats up the interior. The glass got so hot that it was impossible to leave my hand on it for any period of time. Not so with the clear glass. Third pix below.
Do the side windows exhibit the same heat retention? I wouldn't be surprised if Honda has applied a low-e coating to the outside of the hatch glass, which may effectively trap whatever is absorbed and re-radiated as IR by the tint on the inside of the hatch glass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_film#Primary_properties

Very helpful post by the way. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·

·
Registered
659 Posts
Finally had some sunshine. Both the clear windshield and tinted back window are hot to the touch. The tinted window more so. The tinted side windows are just warm.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,469 Posts
And the inside temperature is..........?

·
Super Moderator
9,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Bought a Foxconn 90mm brushless fan to bring in ambient air from the normal MDM floor exhaust fitting. Looks like it might work. Only .25A draw.

Problem. The fan has three wires - black, red, yellow. I can't find any ref as to what the wires all do. Probably black and red for full drive, but guessing.

Any computer types know the code?

·
Super Moderator
9,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Bought a Foxconn 90mm brushless fan to bring in ambient air from the normal MDM floor exhaust fitting. Looks like it might work. Only .25A draw.

Problem. The fan has three wires - black, red, yellow. I can't find any ref as to what the wires all do. Probably black and red for full drive, but guessing.

Any computer types know the code?
NEVERMIND:)

I finally found a good ref by googling. Should have tried that first:oops:

The third wire, yellow in this case, is a speed signal back to the normal computer fan speed control. Interesting ideas ensue but I will probably just run it full speed since it is small and I don't care much about noise if I'm parked.

·
Super Moderator
9,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Small problem with my V2.0 - a little like putting an engine together and having bolts left over ;)

Finishing up my V2.0 on the bench. I wound up with a pair or wires from the harness which don't seem to have anywhere to go. The wires are green/white and red/yellow. I have only the faintest memory of tapping these wires.

Green/white in on MCM C plug and is notated VCC7, red/yellow is on MCM B plug and is notated SG4.

Hate to be a dummy, but I've been back through the notes and haven't found anything. Anyone with a quick tip.

·
Super Moderator
9,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Jime check your email. I sent MCM and BCM plug wire info.
Thanks very much. That got me sorted out again. It's hell getting old:(

I think you should post those tables and diagrams somewhere. They were very useful jiggling my memory and they might serve others. We are supposed to know - and remember - but it doesn't hurt to have more refs.

Of course, given the memory jiggle, I went back to post 1 in the BCM Interceptor and got myself reoriented.

·
Super Moderator
9,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Version 2.0 works, just in time to show at InsightFest.

All electronics; BCM, MCM, fooler, Interceptor mounted up top and accessible. It is packed in tight, so not for the faint of heart. Lots of grind of various tabs to make it play. IPU lid fits.

Picture soon.

81 - 100 of 127 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.