Honda Insight Forum banner

Julianachos' 2000 Insight documentation

8555 Views 90 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  julianachos
I've been meaning to create a thread for my Insight for a while. Finally getting around to doing so. This thread will document modifications and share photos of whatever adventures it endures and how it does. I also don't want to spam the "What did you do to your G1 Insight?" thread too much.

Links:

Quick recap: Found this car on the IC classifieds out of boredom, ended up flying to Washington state to purchase it from the original owner, and drove it home to Delaware. Even took it up and down Pikes Peak.

Here are progress links of what I've done so far since purchasing the Insight:
Modification list as of January 2023:
  • OEM block heater, installed when new.
  • One-off polar fleece tartan seat covers made by the previous owner
  • RSX base optional aluminum shift knob
  • full-size spare using factory Insight wheel
  • LED bulbs in dome and map lights
  • Fumoto oil drain valve
  • GAZ rear shocks
  • Calpod switch made by Natalya
  • Scott's upgraded aluminum belly panel
  • Kenwood KFC-1666R speakers, front and rear
  • '04-06 rear speaker brackets
  • Scott's upgraded springs, front and rear
  • Isaac's +40% hack
  • Upgraded front axles (Trakmotive HO-8446/HO-8447)
  • Rebuilt transmission by Isaac at Jue Motors
  • 3M Crystalline tint: 70% on the windshield and side windows, 50% on liftgate
  • OEM RHD double-DIN radio trim
  • Sony XAV-AX 1000 headunit
  • LiBCM (RevD board) w/ 5AhG3 48S: 18S-, 18S-, 12S+
  • Cut WHT/GRN wire on DCDC
41 - 60 of 91 Posts

· Engine-Off-Coast
2,760 Posts
I talked to @KLR3CYL Scott a couple days ago about the emblems, he has had some success at a restoration process with them. Hopefully he weighs in?

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·

Took the garage squatter (a 1999 Civic Si) out so the Insight can stay in the garage for about ten days going through a charge/discharge session. It took that long due to questionable weather, me not being able to monitor the voltage during charging conveniently and as much as I'd like to, hence me delaying the charging sessions. My garage/workshop is 15-20 minutes away from home and the week I chose to do this involved a decent amount of rain.

Here it is during an oil and trans fluid change:

During the charge/discharge sessions. Thanks again Evan (@Joule) for letting me borrow your discharger!

The Insight post-battery rejuvenation meeting up with Evan. We had traded rear bumpers and I returned his discharger to him. The procedure seemed to do a decent difference.

Last night in Ocean City, Maryland:

· Super Moderator
5,863 Posts
Dang, Julian. That thing is too pretty to drive!

Sam

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
If you are close enough for a trip to OC MD, maybe we should have a meetup there one of these weekends. (It is about 4 hours for me.)
OCMD is just a hair under two hours from me, but I'm down to drive there (or mostly anywhere) for a Mid-Atlantic meetup. I live in Northern Delaware.

Where are you located, Sean?

Dang, Julian. That thing is too pretty to drive!
Sam, the pictures don’t do the paintwork justice. It looks really nice.
Thanks, y'all! I wish this was cleaned up before its debut back in September.

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Found a neat little gauge in my Ultra-Gauge to show me when I'm in Lean Burn: the O2 voltage gauge for B1S2.

Regular driving:

Lean Burn:

I picked up new speakers to install in the rear and replace the factory ones in the doors. $30 a pair at Best Buy.

The front speakers install was straightforward. I even did it before going to work.

Rears I saved for a day off. The first hole I cut took longer than I should. Second got done in a minute.

A few months ago, I found an '04-06 Insight and grabbed the rear speaker brackets hence the tan-ish color...

Used a grey '00-04 speaker cover instead. Let's see if I switch it up later...

Me: No one will notice, it's fine.
(puts seat back into place)

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
The covers were in the car when I bought it. They appear to be some generic tartan seat covers.

Funny thing about those covers: In the listing, they weren't shown in the photos, but when I was picked up at the airport I immediately loved them.

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
The Insight is back in the garage. Like many owners, I thought a certain noise was normal until it got louder. It's the input shaft bearing.

Also learned my rear transmission mount is torn.

Two and a half hours later or so, transmission is out.

After a lunch break, I cleaned the top which was covered in oil. Not perfect, but it'll do. This was probably from the last servicing dealer overfilling the oil and getting into the air box. When I first got the car, that whole area was pretty dirty.

Itching to save this for its intended car. 😅

Transmission is getting shipped out today to go to Scott (@KLR3CYL) to get rebuilt. The axles and clutch are getting replaced.

· Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
1,901 Posts
Yeah, good for you. I don’t think you can make a better choice for the transmission work. Scott explained hie rebuild process to me once. I am not easily impressed, but his process sounded exceptionally thorough and painstaking. I am betting you are going to be very pleased with the result.

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I have other cars I can drive, so I don't mind the downtime involved. If I was doing it myself, only the bearings and seals would be replaced and it would take just as long. I'd rather let a pro like Scott handle it and then some.

When I contacted him about it, he explained the procedure to me and I was immediately sold.

· Premium Member
3,255 Posts
I have personally helped do a few long ago, and you really gotta see how in depth he goes to get a true understanding of just how much work goes into it. I'm getting an HCH/instant mutant trans done through him myself.

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I have personally helped do a few long ago, and you really gotta see how in depth he goes to get a true understanding of just how much work goes into it. I'm getting an HCH/instant mutant trans done through him myself.
I can believe it. If he was local, I'd definitely be interested in helping him out with the rebuild. I've never done any internal transmission work before.

Pulled the flywheel out today so I can get it sent out to Scott as well. Looked at the original ~175k mile clutch. I think it was about to be on borrowed time.

Had a friend help me out with getting the transmission shipped out since he used to sell/ship parts for a living.

· Premium Member
3,255 Posts
I can believe it. If he was local, I'd definitely be interested in helping him out with the rebuild. I've never done any internal transmission work before.

Pulled the flywheel out today so I can get it sent out to Scott as well. Looked at the original ~175k mile clutch. I think it was about to be on borrowed time.

Had a friend help me out with getting the transmission shipped out since he used to sell/ship parts for a living.

Can you measure the clutch disk thickness for me? I'm curious how much is left.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts