Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering about how's my brakes doing and ended up taking the wheel off to inspect them... here're two picture I took... IMG_0273.jpg IMG_0284.jpg
Seems like the pad still have some life left after all the heavy traffic? Sadly I don't have any tools to measure them so can't tell for sure but the way that rotor is chipping does not look good to me... also, it haven't been looking at by anyone since Dec 2015 when I've got this car, not even at the regular service which it supposed to, but they did not according to the service detail they gave me...

Should I be conserving for a pair of new rotors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
210 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Are your brakes sqeaking? When mine started to squeak at around 73k miles, the center of the brake pads seemed OK for another few thousand miles, but one end was worn out almost completely and I could not tell that without taking the pads out.

Replaced the pads with OEM honda and added springs to keep them away from the rotor. As good as new. My rotors, however, are perfectly smooth on the braking surfaces, yours look like noticeably more wear. If you are close to the wear limit, replace both pads and rotors. And grease the caliper pins. Rotors are fairly cheap online (as are OEM pads), so maybe just do both when you hear squeaking and it is time to replace the pads?

·
Registered
57 Posts
You can remove the caliper bolts to inspect the pads.

I agree to replace pads and rotors at the same time.

You can also grease the pins and pads to they slide at the contact points.

Always use brake grease because of the high temps.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've been wondering about how's my brakes doing and ended up taking the wheel off to inspect them... here're two picture I took... View attachment 58122 View attachment 58130
Seems like the pad still have some life left after all the heavy traffic? Sadly I don't have any tools to measure them so can't tell for sure but the way that rotor is chipping does not look good to me... also, it haven't been looking at by anyone since Dec 2015 when I've got this car, not even at the regular service which it supposed to, but they did not according to the service detail they gave me...

Should I be conserving for a pair of new rotors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Im also a firm believer of replacing both at once, when I inspect brakes i look for these things:
-Excessive chipping
-Heat Spots
-Excessive Lips
-Excessive Scoring
-Heat Cracks
-Parallelism(Variances in rotor width)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
KJSTRIPE
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing