Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was taking off the trim above the driver side door and broke all the dried fragile clips. Stood it up and it fell down and cracked in half. Just another reminder about how fragile life really is. Does anyone have any ideas how to fix it? I was thinking epoxy, also how would I reattach it with all the clips broken? Your Insights on the matter are appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
4,939 Posts
Did you watch Scott's video?
You HAVE to break the clips to remove the panel. Then you have to replace them to reinstall it.

Sam

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you watch Scott's video?
You HAVE to break the clips to remove the panel. Then you have to replace them to reinstall it.

Sam
No wish I would have known that before. I actually broke all the inserts not the clips.

·
Administrator
11,157 Posts

·
Registered
2000 silver MT 2001 red MT
3 Posts
If you have some coroplast you could try to put a single 4 inch piece on the inside of both sections of the trim with epoxy.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I've fixed the broken clip slots - and three torn bumpers - using plastic welding. It's nasty, so you need a mask that can filter fumes, and goggles, and....

You can find plastic welding tutorials online. Basically, you need donor material and you have to melt BOTH the donor material and and original part and mix them together in the joint. Otherwise the melted plastic just sits on top of the original part and breaks at the first opportunity because the mixing actually bonds at the contact point.

I used Duplo blocks that I found in the basement when I fabricated new slots for one of the trim pieces.

You can probably weld the two halves back together, too.

But like any kind of weld you REALLY need good joints and for that you need to test the joints. Best to practice on something first, and test your practice joints. You don't want the thing flying off in traffic. I would not trust an adhesive.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've fixed the broken clip slots - and three torn bumpers - using plastic welding. It's nasty, so you need a mask that can filter fumes, and goggles, and....

You can find plastic welding tutorials online. Basically, you need donor material and you have to melt BOTH the donor material and and original part and mix them together in the joint. Otherwise the melted plastic just sits on top of the original part and breaks at the first opportunity because the mixing actually bonds at the contact point.

I used Duplo blocks that I found in the basement when I fabricated new slots for one of the trim pieces.

You can probably weld the two halves back together, too.

But like any kind of weld you REALLY need good joints and for that you need to test the joints. Best to practice on something first, and test your practice joints. You don't want the thing flying off in traffic. I would not trust an adhesive.
Thanks will try this!

·
Registered
12 Posts
V-cut the back and use a large patch of fiberglass filler like tiger hair or a fiberglass repair kit. The filler comes in long and short strand. Be sure to scrape up the back very well to get good mechanical adhesion. The repair may be stronger than the original part ever was.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts