Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone; I left 3 days ago for my journey to Hybridfest in Madison, WI. Today I arrived at a friend's house north of Chicago. It was a great drive, going over the Rockies then through the midwest. I stopped in Laramie, WY and visited the U of WY campus. The football stadium is elevation 7230 feet.

I have driven 2021 miles, and averaged 107.8 mpg. The Insight 5-speed is amazing, with the lean-burn capabilities. And, I did not really push it for economy. What I mean is, I did NO excessively slow driving, no drafting (don't want rock chips on front end) no pulse & glide, and did not have the benefit of tailwinds. I just had the car properly preparred (Mobil 1 oil, tires to 55 lbs, relatively light weight) and had the patience to NOT be in a big hurry.

Techniques used were FAS on the downhill slopes when possible, mostly keeping in lean burn mode, and staying away from using electric assist. In fact, here's a tip for you: what is the best speed for ascending hills and mountains? Answer: as fast as you can go without using any assist. In most cases, it was about 44 mph in 3rd gear. This works because the engine does not need to labor to recharge the pack, during the downhill slope.

On flat terrain I drove 52-55 mph or so. Much of the time the speed limit was only 60 or 55, so It was no trouble for other traffic. Anyway, it was a fun drive. Looking forward to this weekend......

·
Registered
43 Posts
Good to hear you made it, I am leaving Friday morning in hopes to make it there by 12 for the challenge. Look forward to seeing you there.

Dave

·
Registered
143 Posts
When driving on flat terrain, you in 5th or 4th gear?

I've got a large trip coming up (~2500 to 2800 miles all together). Kinda curious if I can bump up my overall mileage (62.9 mpg at 101,000 miles) a few ticks.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I just saw the result on ABC's Good Morning America show. 168mpg!
IIRC, thats what was achieved in last year's Insight Marathon. Contratulations Bill. :)

On the same article, Wayne and Willie were featured, as well as Al ("Hobbit").

Who knows, Hobbit may inspire a trend to barefoot driving. ;)
(He was doing that before he owned a Prius.)

It's good to see hypermiling and the Insight getting some respect in the national media.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
....Just arrived back home. I was rather in a hurry on the drive back; had to be at work this morning. Wow, even driving between 62-68 mph, the car still averaged 91 mpg. What nice cars, these Insights!

The MPG challenge event at Hybridfest was fun, During the several interviews, I specifically said that I used a technique (P&G) that is NOT practical for everyday driving, but just for this competition to show what the car is capable of. Actually, 168 mpg is not too difficult if you have enough time to drive slow, and do lots of engine-off coasting. It DOES take some practice, however, to get good at subtleties like lane positioning, handling other traffic, and estimating how much pulse is needed to get just over the next hump in the road, etc.

I'm pleased to be home safely, and with no flat tires, accidents, or incidents. (except a couple of times my new Rostra cruise control ran away uncontrolably with my engine rpm, I had to shut it off with the key)

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
....My road trip mpg's are verified using GPS, fuel receipts, Scangauge II, and the experience from lots of miles. In the MPG challenge event, each vehicle's own display was used.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts