Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to Insights. I just traded my old Malibu on a 2011 Insight with 33500 miles on it. I mostly picked the Insight to save gas on my commute which is about 70 miles round trip, all highway. I reset the trip A odometer and after a couple of trips it is just showing 38.2 mpg. I drive pretty easy, no really hard accelerations, most of the time the tach is 2300 to 2500. I have the econ button enabled. The assist, charge needle seems to go up and down as it should. The auto stop is working. Sometimes it seems to shutter a bit coming out of auto stop. The battery meter seems to stay a bit over half to two thirds. I was expecting to get around 45 mpg or better. I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks, Don

·
Registered
811 Posts
Hi congratulations,

The insight takes a little time for the driver to get used to the car and eco driving.
Everyone gets lower mpg in the winter, some of the factors are : the engine runs cold much longer, the gas has 10% ethanol(winter blend) , snow, water, ice , slush on the road slows the tires down.....

this is the generation one forum, you may get better results on the 2nd gen forum...

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Slow down.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Don't know where you are, Don, but it's been very cold here lately, and windy to boot. I was chagrined the other day to see that in a very cold wind, I could barely maintain 48 mpg, and I was driving just as carefully as I possibly could. 2300 to 2500 rpm is not all that slow on the highway, and if you were bucking any wind at all or had some elevations you were climbing while holding to a particular speed, 38-ish mpg would not be very surprising. Watch your dash readout and adjust your driving to keep the economy reading above 50 mpg. Before long, that will be second nature to you, and in the more favorable conditions of warmer temperatures and continuous driving at or below 2000 rpm, you'll see much better than 45 mpg. The sweet spot for my 2013 on the highway is no more than 62 mph in the current cold temperatures. Even so, at 62 on a flattish highway with no headwind and at least 32F, I get 60+ mpg. Better days will come!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Check your plugs.

·
Registered
737 Posts
You might also try posting your question in the Gen2 forum yo get info from fellow owners?

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Moved....

For agressive driving in near freezing temperatures that mpg is about dead on. There are lots of things you can do to improve your mpg. Hell, just dwitching from tier 3 to tier1 fuel is 5 mpg. Inflating your tires to sidewall psi is another 5 mpg. If its freezing where you live and drive, blocking your lower grill is a good 5 mpg.

Changing the way you drive will have the most impact.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I am sorry I posted this in the wrong forum. It looks like it has been moved to the right place now. It has been windy and somewhat cold 30-40s here in Southwest Missouri. I have been driving more carefully and yesterday I managed 43 mpg.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Windy mpg

As I posted early, Don, wind is brutal on mpg on these cars. My last 3 highway trips have been 10, 20, and 30 degrees with winds in the teens to thirties. A head wind, of course, is very bad, but I found that even a strong wind directly across my path decreased economy significantly. The only solution that helped was drafting a larger vehicle ahead. I slowed down until a large truck overtook and passed me, then got in behind him [at a safe distance, like 150 feet] and hung there while working to keep my foot on the pedal as lightly as possible to maintain position. This may sound like a lot of work, but it really isn't, and what else do I have to do in 30 to 50 miles of straight highway driving?

Bucking the wind on my own, at or well below freezing, I couldn't quite keep the DIM reading at 50 mpg, and often dipped as low as 40 mpg. Behind a truck and coasting whenever possible, I consistently averaged at least 55 mpg, often showing 70+ mpg for stretches and never below 50 mpg [unless we went up a steep overpass]. This kind of evidence is hardly scientific, but it's quite repeatable. So far, since I've had my 2013, I haven't been out once that the temp was above 35 degrees, but even at that low temp [and straight stock], downwind highway mileage hangs consistently around 70 mpg. Too bad I can't run downwind for 500 miles or so...!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts