Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did quite a bit of research on it beforehand, but wondering if there is anything in particular I should be alert to. Car is Honda Certified Preowned and oil TSB has checked out ok, no problems. Thanks!

marx404

edit: meant LX

·
Super Moderator
4,725 Posts
No, just be aware that the 2012 has an oil consumption problem. Honda extended the warranty, so it's there if you need it. You didn't say how many miles it has. Check your oil a lot to see if it's using any.

Sam

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Sam. "Evie" (yes pun intended), is a 2012 base 2nd gen Insight, Taffeta White. I did quite a bit of research on her before I bought it. Evie was bought brand new at the local Honda dealership and traded in back to the same salesperson whom sold it. I used to work at this dealership years ago, so the guys there treat me like a friend.

Got the Carfax and Service records, talked directly to the head Service tech that has been working on her since new. He says that the car was run through the oil consumption test and passed with better than "acceptable" oil loss; only consuming less than 1/4 of a quart in 1000 miles. IMO, thats normal for many cars, but then again, checking my oil and tires is a Sunday ritual.

My car is Certified Pre-Owned and also has the extra engine coverage as a result of the TSB issue from Honda, which all warranties considered, I am pretty well covered under warranty until 2019. Happy with Evie so far.

·
Super Moderator
4,725 Posts
But how many miles are on it? This problem comes on gradually. You're already 1/4 of the way there.

Sam

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oops, it has 51,000 on it, not bad for a 2012. One owner and alsway maintained at the same Honda dealer. Will keep a diligent eye on my oil, as I do the rest of the car. Sundays a re for church and checking oil! So far it has been over a week since I bought her and no problems. So far, loving this car!
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Keep a little pocket notebook in the car and note how much oil you drain out and the miles. This asssumes you do your own oil changes.

Check oil dip stick at each fill up.

It’s pretty much what we used to have to do in the old days when engines weren’t as good as they are today.

Congrats on the new car.

Question for others.... what year G2 does NOT have an engine problem? I’m curious about which are good buys. My son needs a car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, will do. I have access to some good technicians where I work and also know the guys at the Honda dealership where I bought her. Talk about the old days, I was used to topping off the oil on many old cars I had back in the day, so no prob. Having a warranty on the car is a good thing too, so I'll keep an eye in things and bring it in if any issues.

Worst case scenario, if the oil consumption issue rears it's ugly head, it will get repaired under CPO warranty or TSB warranty, right?

·
Premium Member
9,754 Posts
Be warned, some dealers will tell you a QUART use for 1,000 miles is normal. TOTAL BS.
(From prior G2 Insighters experience)

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Be warned, some dealers will tell you a QUART use for 1,000 miles is normal. TOTAL BS.
(From prior G2 Insighters experience)HTH Willie
Got you. I was not too keen on this when I was told this exact thing by a Honda tech. But....warranty. Have had many a car that lost a little oil after a month or two, so I'm kinda OCD about checking my car, even with my brand new cars. So you betcha my local dealer will be paid a visit if I am going through any unusual amounts of oil. :)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
You seem like the sort who will keep an eye on it and push to get it fixed. I just hope what you paid reflected the defect. But then again, our Insights are not worth much anyway.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
OK. Only 2012 and early 2013 Insights have an oil consumption problem due to charcoal buildup on the piston rings that generally becomes apparent around 60.000 miles.
It is a fuel composition problem; the same engines don't have this problem in Europe...

Dealers will want to test for it and deny replacement when it still uses less than a quart per 1000 miles. Silly, because it only creates more damage while the replacement is inevitable.
They will honor it when it finally goes past a quart a 1000 miles though.
When they fill for the test, check at the lot whether it is not above the upper mark on the dipstick.

Owners who had their rings or engine replaced under TSB 016 generally got a free loaner for the duration of the replacement, so it should not be too much of a hassle. Just make sure you get it beyond 60.000 miles before 8 year past first registry.

Check the VIN, check TSB 16-101, check whether it applies to you.

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/honda-insight-forum-2nd-gen-discussion/104722-tsb-16-101-dated-march-17-2017-a.html
http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/troubleshooting-problems/42705-anybody-burning-oil.html
http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/troubleshooting-problems/103738-2013-insight-exessive-oil-consumption.html

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks for all the input. I actually work in the car biz and was an Internet Manager at this particular dealership a few yrs ago, still friendly with the guys that work there and the GM. I kinda knew what I was getting into, but at the same time the car looked ok, oil was not overfilled and it had a Certified Preowned checklist. I pref the look of the 2012 . The guys at this shop are pretty an*l (in a good way) so I feel pretty confident that they will take good care of me. Bought her pretty much at employee pricing, with warranty and certification, so should anything go wrong, pretty confident that they will do the right thing. So far, I have had the car for almost 2 weeks and still driving on the same tank of gas, LOL. Checked the oil every other day, still at the top hole in the dipstick. She got a full detail today, happy camper.

·
3,641 Posts
Congrats on a nice car!
That car doesn't look like the base model, at least based on the stereo. Is it an LX? Does it have a center armrest? How many speakers? Also, the number of speakers (if all factory), and upholstery type will help you identify the trim level.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Congrats on a nice car!
That car doesn't look like the base model, at least based on the stereo. Is it an LX? Does it have a center armrest? How many speakers? Also, the number of speakers (if all factory), and upholstery type will help you identify the trim level.
Yes, I was unable to correct my OP, but it is an LX not base. Has center armrest and seems to have 4 speakers. Vin checks out as LX.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts