Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, today I took the plunge and bought an OK condition insight.
2000 manual, here is the link
http://www.cars.com/search/used/cc/stan ... =&cid=null

My main concern is probably the clutch and the lmpg.
Clutch engages really high in the travel(pretty much at the top is there any way to adjust that?), and the lmpg is like 49 or something. The wheels are pretty beat up, and the tire tread looks good but the sidewalls are beat up along with the tires. The tires are Bridgestone Potenza RE92 165/65 14 Are those OEM replacements? I haven't taken it home yet and will probably update this post at the end of the week with pictures. So, I'm guessing this car had a bit of a tough life. The price was too good to pass on, and I plan to put quite a few miles on it, so a lower milage one didn't seem to be as good an idea as I would lose that in depreciation as I stacked up the miles myself.
The good news it there are oil change records and 0W20 seems to have been used at every change, and the previous owner seems to have at least made some notes with dates in the matience schedule. And I got an interest rate of 3.89% (http://www.peoplefirst.com), can't complain at all about that.
I bought it from a car from a wholesaler at his asking price (8k) who bought it at an auction for 7k. Previous owner was in Lousiana. I will probably pick the car up tomorrow or the next day. I spend most of the afternoon reading these forums and a good chunk of the encyclopedia here. I am considering resetting the lmpg once I get the hang of driving it as well, to see what MY lmpg is, what do you guys think about that good idea or bad? Any other thoughts, opinions, ect?
Thanks,
Anthony

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
First of all, congratulations on your new Insight!

Quick answers. The Insight clutch is as adjustable as any other clutch. Bridgestone Potenza RE92 165/65R14s are the factory/stock tires. Yours sound like they are probably the originals, not replacements, judging from your description of wear. An lmpg reset is up to you, there's no technical reason not to do it.

I don't have any used-car-buying tips, so I can't be of much help there, sorry. Enjoy the car. Learn to watch the tachometer to shift, because you won't be able to do it by listening to the engine. In case it's not enabled, you can use the "FCD" button to turn on display of the instantaneous MPG on any of your trip meters or the lifetime display, which is very helpful for learning to drive the Insight efficiently. Just don't forget to watch the road, too.

P.S. be sure to check the forum rules for picture posting. Links are preferred to in-line photos.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Congrats on your purchase. Good News! Carfax reports no problems! Figured I might as well get some use out of the unlimited service I bought. PM me, I might be able to send you a file with the complete report if you want it.

It will take a while to "get the hang" of driving it. But it will be a fun and unique car to cruise around in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the nice words, yeah I will post links to the pictures no problem. Some cars have an adjustable master cylinder to adjust where the engagement point is some don't. Wasn't sure if the insight did or not, yeah even though the tread looks really good, judging from the condition of the sidewalls you are right they are probably originals. I just registered the car at hondacars.com and it seems there are no outstanding recalls on it. I have read the newer firmware is a little better, is it worth tying to get upgraded? Otherwise I am looking forward to getting it home around the end of the week, and will update this post then.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Just a note on the clutch: I personally hate it. I've had this car for 16 months, yet still cannot get used to the clutch. It's almost like it's random. I've heard many other Insight owners complain about the same thing, so it's not just my car...

As for the LMPG, you can reset it. Instructions are in the Knowledge Base. Personally, I reset mine since I didn't want to have an artificially low number (it was 49 or something from the dealer, it is now near 70)...Some may consider this a violation.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Hi félicitation for the car,

For the clutch, it is the pedal position that is adjustable through an adjusting bolt in the driver side at the pedal location. There is no master cylinder adjustment, the chutch wear is supposed to adjust automatically.
I do not know if your high engagement means a weared clutch.

Some have reported that dealers are implying that the clutch is sold as one package including the flywheel. It is not, each part can be sold separatly (so clutch, bearing and pressure plate are the usual parts changed)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks, I will look for this bolt tomorrow. I just got the car home today. Batter was pretty low but averaged 55mpg while charging it whenever in 5th and many stoplights. I'm had trouble keeping the battery charge much above half. Anyway, I will drive it more tomorrow and see how things go then.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Maglito,

I bought a very similar red Insight back in January. Mine had 57K miles, worn Potenzas (which I replaced), and I got a similar price (a little higher) and interest rate as you. I've been very happy with the car, and don't have any problems with the clutch.

I do recommend allowing yourself several weeks to get used to driving the Insight. It's really more of a fine tuned instrument than regular cars, especially if you start enjoying driving for good MPG. There are a ton of tips on this website and lots of friendly moderators and folks to help with even the most arcane questions you may have (in fact, I think the more arcane the better for some Insighters). :)

Mine also had a low LMPG when I bought it (52.4) but the car is averaging much higher since it came into my possesion. On my last tank of gas I averaged 61.1 MPG, and that included lots of stop and go traffic and city driving...

I'm happy to say I'm more in love with this car after 4 months than when I bought it !

Good Luck,

~SS7

1 - 8 of 8 Posts