Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from a first time Insight owner in Miami, FL

2 weeks ago I finally found the "right" pre-owned Insight, on ebay! The car was in Texas. After MUCH homework (including reading your forums & knowledge info), I found a pristine, SUPER clean, garage kept, '05 red CVT that just turned 24K miles 2 days ago. The original non-smoking owner bought her at Gillman Honda in Houston TX in Oct. of '05, then traded her in at a Lexus dealer in Houston. When the Lexus dealer couldn't move her fast enough, she wound up at auction and snapped up by Luxury Car Warehouse who put her on ebay. (I think they have a red '01 manual on ebay now) Being a LONG time Honda, Acura & Lexus owner, (including an NSX), this is my 1st hybrid and I was SUPER cautious about making the "long distance/sight unseen" purchase. In the end, I got a "buy-back" guarantee IN WRITING from the seller who agreed to a full inspection by my mechanic. She checked out perfect and I gave her a nice fresh Mobil 1 0w30 synthetic oil change. I've already ordered my FL vanity tag that will read 6-T MPG, (Yeah I know my CVT is not likely to average that, but I couldn't resist.) I couldn't bring myself to sell my red '98 Lexus SC300 yet, so for now they are sitting side-by-side in my garage. The windows were already tinted (a MUST in Miami) and I ordered new floor mats along with a custom fit Heat Shield and a new cabin air filter. She has the single disc CD player and I plan to swap out the 4 speakers eventually. Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and my new "baby".
Richard

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Congratulations on your wise purchase.

One minor comment is that it's going to be your driving habits that really control the economy you achieve. The car itself makes it possible, of course, but YOU will really determine your lifetime mpg average.

The big question now is whether to reset the LMPG gauge. I say no, but there's discussion both ways...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Richard, I have a 2006 CVT and typically get 60-62 mpg during the spring and summer months. I live in the Raleigh, NC area so we do get some winter(quite mild) and that does affect my mileage-drops down to about 55-56. I imagine that you won't have too many problems like that in Florida. Just as long as your conscientious about how you drive. Congratulations. I wanted red when I purchased, but since silver was on the lot, I guess you know which one I took home.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Welcome to the club. I'll be interested to read your impressions of it after you've owned it for a while.

P.S. I've got a laminated poster of the NSX on my wall, (a real work of art). ;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Actually rsnsx,

60 MPG should not be too difficult. I have a 2006 Red CVT and I get 64-65 MPG on an average tank-full and my Lifetime is sitting at 59.8 MPG at a bit over 20,000 miles.

My current tank is about 3/4 gone, and it's sitting at 65.4 MPG.

As you've probably read, the milage will increase as the car breaks-in a bit!

Best Regs,
Rick / 2006 CVT

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi Richard ~ Welcome to our exclusive owners group! After reading this post, and the mpg figures other are getting.....good luck. My CVT is logging in at about 49-51 mpg per tank, lifetime at 47.2. We don't hot-shoe, and most always in the ECON mode. Think I'll read some more posts on the subject before I head out to the dealer for a check-up.

·
Registered
45 Posts
CVT Mileage

I easily average over 63 for my daily commute in my 05 CVT. Record 105 mile round trip commute 68.6. Lifetime MPG 58.6 37,000+ miles.

Drive slow, accelerate like an old granny
Coast a lot
stay out of assist, conserve battery
avoid stop and go traffic
rollercoaster hills (drive by mpg, not mph)
try to make all traffic lights (easier than you think)
concentrate all the time on MPG
Don't use air conditioner
settle (not too close) behind a big truck at 55 mph on the freeway and watch your mileage soar into the 80s

1 - 8 of 8 Posts