Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, just picked up a 2010 insight EX with 72k miles. I've been putting too many miles on my other cars, and needed something that I can put miles on, and I'm happy so far with the MPG I've been getting. I read that it's good to have the CVT fluid changed. Are there any other things I should have taken care of on the car? One concern about buying a hybrid was the battery life, but from what I'm reading it seems like they last. Has anyone on here had issues with their batteries?
I get anywhere from 38 to 48 MPG going to work (mostly highway) Long Island to Queens NY. I've been driving pretty light though, trying to keep my MPG high. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
622 Posts
the hybrid battery is not an issue as the forum has a couple members with well over 200k on the original battery ... the 12v on the other hand can lead to gremlins when its old and weak so replace it ahead of schedule ... i upgraded to a 51R

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
while the G2 ima battery is certainly not immune from breakdown/premature failure/etc., providing one uses the car regularly and not within an extreme use profile it should "live" quite long ... early predictions estimating the lifespan of ima batteries were all horribly pessimistic ... the science after all is quite old and evolved ... additionally the link you provided is of a G1 and a used car - a tad older and who knows how the previous owner used the car ... all it takes is for the car to sit a few months and it could plotz the battery

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the info so far. The car is a 2010 with 72k, so the miles are pretty average. I don't know how the last owner drove, but I'd assume with average miles the car was probably a daily driver.
Also I noticed every time I get out of the car I get a shock when I touch the door, is that normal?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I get the shock only in very dry weather, usually in the heat of summer or a hard freezing winter (which dries the air too).
And it depends on what you wear; synthetics aggravate it, cotton seems fine.
The charging happens when you raise from the seat. If you touch metal when getting out you discharge yourself simultaneously, so you won't get a shock.

That said, it is way less bad than with my previous car. I treated the seats on that with a salty soapy liquid, to little avail.
It had a metal screw inside the cavity of the armrest doorgrip, which zapped my fingers many times badly. :mad:
I was planning to mount a 10,000,000 Ohm resistor on that to discharge myself without a bang, but rust, mechanical woes and a sharp deal trading it with my Insight prevented me from getting it done.

The grips on the Insight have a rubber inlay that hides just such a screw.
I could implement the resistor trick like with some fine grain wire over the patch. I just need one more good zapping to motivate myself ;)

The G2 hybrid battery is good, but a very hot climate or long periods of disuse can harm it. The P144? coding G2 battery from the link was a Texan one.
My insight did just 1500 miles in its first year and had been parked for months with almost no use. The battery was sluggish at first, but steadily recouped over time to full assist after 4 months and 5000 miles of daily use without any battery tending or nothing.

The 12V battery was bad, and my warranty replacement one hardly any better. I monitor its voltage permanently with my UltraGauge.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
while the G2 ima battery is certainly not immune from breakdown/premature failure/etc., providing one uses the car regularly and not within an extreme use profile it should "live" quite long ... early predictions estimating the lifespan of ima batteries were all horribly pessimistic ... the science after all is quite old and evolved ... additionally the link you provided is of a G1 and a used car - a tad older and who knows how the previous owner used the car ... all it takes is for the car to sit a few months and it could plotz the battery
Pretty sure you meant optimistic. You're clearly not familiar with the 30%+ battery failure rate of 09-10 Civic Hybrids after 3-4 years, or the lawsuit against Honda for the battery life of the 06-08.

Since you didn't actually read the link, I will include the text of the linked post here:

"Just to give a clearer idea, my car is 2010 and has 82k mileage. I bought it used in August from an owner (so I don't have a dealer) and I didn't know anything about this IMA battery so I don't know the history of the car about battery replacements.

It was a very good deal, I paid 4K in the car. So even replacing the battery it is still under the full value of the car. I don't regret at all, even buying a little in the dark like I did"

In case you missed it, a 2010 with 82K miles experienced a battery failure.

IMA battery reliability, including replacements, has been very sketchy since about 2006.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
... In case you missed it, a 2010 with 82K miles experienced a battery failure.
I read it but I missed it, at least the conclusion.
It ends with the plan to bring it to Eli, but no whatafters, so we still don't know if this was a genuine hybrid battery failure or one of the hundreds of bad 12V battery related false IMA errors again.

The manual warns against not using the car for more than a month, and excessive heat etc. There should be several G2s with failed batteries around for that reason alone (renacaceres btw is located in Fort Worth, Texas...)
But the G2 tends it hybrid battery well. Even mine, which did not do much in the beginning, came back to full working order.

OTOH, Civic Hybrids of around 2009 usually are on their second battery. There is no escaping the fact that the G2 Insight battery is far more reliable than the Civic one.

·
Registered
622 Posts
no keith, i meant pessimistic ... as for reliability, if u look at hybrids as a group, they perform better than standard ice cars according to true delta and jd power - i'll have to defer to them over you unless u can provide better data ... funny how you would mention one of the only two poor performers in the lot as being dispositive - the other being ford's c max ... and I did read your link which was to the G1 forum and seems to be a non sequitur ... as to the cut and pasted point, i believe thats been addressed

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
no keith, i meant pessimistic ... as for reliability, if u look at hybrids as a group, they perform better than standard ice cars according to true delta and jd power - i'll have to defer to them over you unless u can provide better data ... funny how you would mention one of the only two poor performers in the lot as being dispositive - the other being ford's c max ... and I did read your link which was to the G1 forum and seems to be a non sequitur ... as to the cut and pasted point, i believe thats been addressed
The fact that a user posted in the wrong forum doesn't make the data invalid. I don't see how you can reasonably identify it as a non sequitur. It follows perfectly. If you recall, you claimed "the hybrid battery is not an issue as the forum has a couple members with well over 200k on the original battery." I provided two examples of failures at significantly lower mileage.

Now you are extending the subject to general reliability of hybrids over ICE-only powered vehicles. THAT is a non sequitur. You are changing the subject.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
There are enough G2s around to have a sufficient number of them toast their hybrid battery for one reason or another.

But where are they?
How many cases do we know where a G2 hybrid battery had been a confirmed fail?

Renacaceres (from S Keiths' link) did not know the exact code (P144something).
She did have some 12V battery related trouble a month earlier. We know and I witnessed how low 12V can cause the IMA electronic circuitry to generate IMA errors.
She has not posted since December 6th, so we don't know the outcome of her visit to Bumblebee, if it ever happened.
Maybe, hopefully, Eli can shed some light?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had the CVT fluid changed today and switched to mobile 1 synthetic. Any suggestions on headlight bulbs? The factory bulbs are a little dim

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Yup, had to swap them out for HIDs. Get a cheap H11 HID kit or the LEDs that Striider bought. I would try LEDs if I need to replace the lows next time. I may well buy them anyway as I can always use them for my fogs; those are H11 too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Greetings--I was a Gen 1 Insight owner, sold it to go to pure EV with a 2012 Nissan Leaf.
Now that the battery in that car is starting to lose capacity, I'm looking at the G2 Insight. Found a 2010 EX, single owner with less that 50k miles on it. Dealer asking $8900 for it.
How do I find out the condition of the battery pack? Is it NiMH like the G1, or has G2 gone to lithium ion? Many thanks, in advance for your help & advice.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
NiMH

$8900. seems high. Sadly (for those of us who own them) they aren't worth much.
Depending on the condition of the Leaf and how over it you are, you might check into a new battery pack for that.
We sure have not had many battery pack failures here in the last 8 years. Most were from rear end collisions, especially when they got left out in the rain at the body shop with a broken rear hatch window.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Low miles, immaculate body, newish tires and a full service history is the very least you'd expect with an EX for that money. Then if you drive it it needs to be smooth, especially in the transitions between gently braking and gently throttling around 10 -20 mph. It should not have a whine at 60 mph nor a burring sound at the top left or top right corner of the windscreen (as when the window seam is loose).

The G2 Insights OEM 12V batteries can be troublesome; a low voltage on the 12V system, like what you get when one of the 6 cells in the battery has drained and inverted, causes a myriad of system problems. The IMA system, airbags, ABS, VSC and what not would never fail at the same time, but their electronics will say they do when fed 8 Volt.
Have the 12V battery tested and replaced if you have the slightest reason to doubt its health. If it has needed a jump start it is safe to assume it needs replacing ASAP.

Other than that it is a car with hardly any issues.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts