Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2010 Insight, after test driving about 4 different Insight's at various dealerships. I ended up with the only one of the group that was Honda certified, and had really low miles (16k miles). This one also appeared to be in the best condition, and it checked out with my mechanic. But what I did notice was that on my very first test drive I got around 50mpg on the highway (sport mode did as well as eco actually), and around the same on regular roads. I got within the 46-52 range for the next two cars. But on this one, I was only getting about 41. I don't feel like I drove the first three any differently than the fourth, and after being surprised with the low mpg I actually tried to consciously drive more mpg friendly. I was doing around 38mpg before that, and I did reset it so that it didn't influence how I did when I started trying to get a higher mpg.

I don't know the exact tires it had (I'm picking it up tomorrow), but they were Dunlop, so I'm assuming they're the stock tires.

So, what could be causing the mpg difference? Or was it probably a fluke, and I didn't realize I was driving differently? Since the stock tires seem to be good for mpg from what I've read, it would seem that's not the issue. And it looks like new Insight's take a while to break in, but I'd assume at 16,000 miles (the others where between 30 and 37k) that's already done as well.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Could had been:

Different tire PSI,
Different IMA battery levels,
Different route,
Different road circumstances (i.e., adjusting for other drivers),
Perhaps mileage indicator hadn't been reset when testing driving the others,
trove of other variables ...

Really, could be just about anything.

I feel my I2 broke in around 6-8k miles but really it could had been something as simple as the weather changing which does affect mileage, I cannot be 100% certain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. I'm thinking it may have been the battery as when I picked it up at the dealer the charge only had one bar, so it probably was like that when I first drove it too (it had been there almost 2 months, and the woman said they hadn't gotten much interest in it, so it probably sat). I drove over an hour and it finally maxed out, and I'm getting about 50 mpg now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts