Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, I used to be a pretty active member here and contributed to the forum. Don't remember my old account username and can't seem to find it.

Anyway, just bought my 4th insight after a few years away. Sold off my last one with baby #1. Just had baby #2 and decided to get back into it.

Paid 2500 for a near perfect condition 01 MT insight with 150k miles. Perfect maintenance records and was originally bought new by a electrical engineer in the bay area who even recorded every single fill-up. I was willing to pay 4k for it but then he went to test the car like it suggests on the forum and said the battery might be weak. It is showing some early signs but nothing I am concerned with. Flew out to Reno to get it.

Car came with a grid charger that was apparently bought from someone on this forum though ive never seen it. It appears to be a computer power supply and the connector is a 4 way trailer plug. Not sure if it's safe, I used the hybrid automotive one exclusively. I also just threw on some new nokians for the crazy winter's here, will be interesting. Need to find some stock wheels to put on the nearly new RE92's that came with the car.

Lastly, any Idaho members here? Would be cool to meet up. I will also be taking plenty of trips to the Washington and California coast as well as Utah.

·
Super Moderator
7,317 Posts
Welcome back. Insights are addictive. Member Bull Dog is from Norther Idaho. He is very active and very savvy on the cars.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Contact hybrid automotive. I have one of Jeff's early dischargers, and it just looks like a metal box/power supply with a round connector (unsure of how many pins, I think it's 4). Send a photo, it might be a legit early hybrid automotive one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Contact hybrid automotive. I have one of Jeff's early dischargers, and it just looks like a metal box/power supply with a round connector (unsure of how many pins, I think it's 4). Send a photo, it might be a legit early hybrid automotive one.
Wife took a picture of it. Hope the attachment works and you can see picture.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,317 Posts
Wife took a picture of it. Hope the attachment works and you can see picture.
I agree, that is a standard plug for a trailer light hookup. It has been used by several diy builders of grid chargers. Many, including Mike Dabrowski don't believe it safe for grid chargers. Those wires normally handle only 12V, so you can see how 180V +/- might be a risk. If the harness shorts, it will almost certainly cause a fire as the battery will discharge through the short catching the insulation on fire.

OTOH, if it was fitted and owned by an electrical engineer, maybe that particular wire is rated at much higher voltage. I just kind doubt it, and it makes me cringe ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SW Idaho member, checking in.
South East Idaho for me (not sure if I already said that). I will likely be making the California drive, would be cool to see you there! You have like 5-7 hours less of a drive than me :p

·
Registered
111 Posts
South East Idaho for me (not sure if I already said that). I will likely be making the California drive, would be cool to see you there! You have like 5-7 hours less of a drive than me :p
Weather pending for me, though I'd love to go and likely will. If not, I go through Eastern Idaho a few times a year on my way to visit a friend in Wyoming, will have to meet up at some point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts