Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

This is my first post to an excellent site.

My wife's car (1995 del Sol S) was stolen two weeks ago, so we were forced into buying a car. She wanted another two seater and a hybrid so the INsight was it. We bought one Saturday and are supposed to get it today.

Here in the Seattle area we paid $21,600 for a 5 spd with air. I thought this was pretty good based on the Consumer Reports information, market demand for a low production car, and so forth. I'd rather not have my bubble popped if I did really poorly but was just wondering what others thoughts/experiences were.

Additionally, we did opt for the extended warranty for another $1600. We have 60 days to back out for a full refund. It came in handy on her last car and were just wondering if it was worth having 7yrs/100,000 mi coverage that covers all the hybrid parts and battery too, or if we should just save the money.

Thanks in advance,
Derek

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don't know about the price paid, different areas can command different prices.
With gas prices going up, the demand is high. And a new Insight is a hard car to find.

A few months ago I received my '05 silver 5 speed with A/C for $19,680. This does not include tax, title, or license.
This was from a dealer in north Houston, Texas. Internet sales department was great.

As far as an extended warranty goes, I felt that the standard factory 8yr/80,000 mile warranty on the hybrid componets was fine. I'll take my chances after that.
They tried to push the extended warranty when I purchased mine. I asked if it would add to/extend the current hybrid warranty. They said it would not. I had to pass on the offer.

Regards,

·
Registered
51 Posts
Derek,

Which dealership did you get it from? I just purchased my new insight from Lynnwood Honda near Seattle for 20,200. It is a brand new 5 speed with A/C. The price you paid is still pretty good considering most dealerships have a couple thousand dollar mark up anyway.

Enjoy the new wheels! 8)

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Considering what the two dealerships around here that do have new Insight's on their lot are asking (one's asking 22K, the other's asking 24K, these are new CVT's) the price was ok.

However, on that warranty.... is it the Honda Care? If so go get your money back you paid way too much. There should be a 15 day grace period I believe with it. Then go to http://www.curryhondacare.com/ and get the same warranty for about $900. Go in and put in your information like you going to buy it, but then check your email first. They send you a promotion code for an additional $90 off the price they first show you.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
How can that be the real Honda Care warranty when the Honda policy as I understand it is that you can't get the Honda Care warranty after the factory 36/36,000 has expired?

These guys say anytime within 42 months not 36 months.

I don't get it.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Figgy, not sure on that, but I bought my warranty from them and I recieved documentation from Honda (not Curry Honda), and it shows up as a Honda Care extended warranty in the computers at my local dealership.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
If it comes up on the dealer computer as a valid Honda Care, then it sounds like it is good enough proof that they honor it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
where, warranty

Hello,

Thanks for the responses. I only got an email about the first one or I would've come back sooner.

We got it at Hinshaw's Honda in Auburn. I don't think this is family owned any more and is now run by that national Churchill or somesuch group of slimeballs. I mean slimier than usual. The price on the door was almost $26,000. They wanted to charge $150 for the cargo mat.

The warranty is the genuine Hondacare warranty. I read the papers carefully. They will mail more detailed information to us, but I clearly read that we had 60 days for a full refund.

I was just wondering if the warranty is worth it. I could sure use the $1600 if it isn't.

Derek

·
Registered
96 Posts
I got mine new for $17,000 back in 2001. It's practically a miracle if you can find a new 5speed today, so the price doesn't seem all that bad.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
If the warranty is a Honda Care warranty the one you bought and the one the above URL will sell you should be the exact same warranty from American Honda. I would first go in to the dealership you bought the car from and show them what you can get it for and see if they'll match it. If not I'd say get a refund on the one you have and get the cheaper, exact same warranty. Dealerships make huge margins on extended warranties. It can be as much as twice what they pay for it.

Figgy, I should also mention the way I found out the Honda Care was listed in the dealerships computer was I was inquiring as to what date my factory 3 year 36K warranty was up. I made no mention about buying the extended warranty and the service manager who was looking it up said something about well your factroy one is up in on such date, but your Honda care will be good until date x. So I didn't even ask about it, he mentioned it to me if it's any reassurance. Plus the contract you get in the mail comes from American Honda rather than the dealership itself. Well, the actual documents anywas, I did get some reciepts and pamplets from the dealership itself.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
"I was just wondering if the warranty is worth it. I could sure use the $1600 if it isn't."

My own opinion is that they're almost never worth it, at least just looking at the money. After all, the company is trying to sell you the warranty, right? That means they expect to make a profit overall. So unless you have some particular reason to think the car you bought might be a lemon, you're likely to end up on the short end of the deal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks

Thanks for the replies. No one I know of, aside from my wife's parents, have bought extended warranties, and we're the only ones who used the one we had on my wife's del Sol.

Unfortunately if we get a refund that cost was rolled into the loan so we have higher payments. We'll definitely get a refund from this dealer, maybe get it from the website mentioned, where it's almost half.

We did have to wait for a 5 speed. There was one in town but it was sold, so the dealer had to locate another one.

Now my wife is upset that her new car only gets 48mpg! :) I am sure that will go up when she learns to drive it.

Derek

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
The dealer supplied warranties let you return them for a pro-rated refund at any time. I think they charge a small fee after the first 90 days.

You might want to check with the Curry Honda people to see if the same applies to theirs.

Since you can buy a 'New Car' Honda Care warranty at any time while the factory warranty is in place, you could cancel your existing warranty altogether and still have 3 years to decide if you want to replace it later before the factory 3/36,000 runs out.

If I were you, I would get my refund now, then if you still have the car in 36 months, you can then decide if you want to extend the warranty before the factory one expires. In the meantime, you saved yourself a bunch of money. If you for some reason don't have the car in three years, then you never needed it anyway since it only extends the 3 year factory one anyway which is a true bumper to bumper.

NOTE: The extended warranties, I learned recently from Honda Care, ONLY COVER MECHANICAL defects not 'manufacturer' defects. They told me that things like paint, wheels, tires are covered under the factory warranty but NOT under any extended warranties. I thought the extended ones were the same as extending the factory warranty - they are not. Call Honda Care directly to get details.

·
Registered
39 Posts
At the end of Feb. 2004 I paid $20,659 for my '04 CVT from a dealer in the Bay Area, and then $86 for floor mats. Taxes and document fees and such made the total cost $22,700.

I bought a 7 year/75,000 mile extended warranty from Warranty Direct for $1,116. I kind of wish I hadn't. I could have just invested that money. I guess I'm gambling that my battery or something will go out in the 4-7 year range and cost >$4,000 to fix... Couldn't have made that back from investing. But any small stuff... Eh, I think the extended warranty was a waste of money.

I think you got a fine price for your car. 5-speed Insights really are the most glorious of all hybrids. (Though I love my CVT.)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Milage will go up

Derek,

Congrats on your new Insight. I just got mine the weekend before Christmas. My first average milage during my commute to work, 120 mile round trip, was 57mpg. I also got 70.2 mpg on my third day for a 60 mile stretch. But, just driving around town with a lot of stop and go, you might only get 45-50mpg. After a few days of driving, your mpg will probably increase. You have to 'baby' the car a little to get real good mpg. Also check your tire pressure. Mine was low coming off the dealers lot, so I maxed out the tire pressure to 44.

As for price, I got $1500 off the sticker price of $21,080 here in Pennsylvania for a silver 2006 5 speed w/AC. I'm still considering an extended warranty from Curry, but haven't made up my mind yet. I also bought some new rubber floor mats to protect the Insight mats, seat covers, and some round bubble stick on mirrors to help with the blind spots. The seat covers fit to loosely, so I'll be looking for some with a better fit.

Have fun!

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Re: Milage will go up

jdpenn said:
The seat covers fit to loosely, so I'll be looking for some with a better fit.
In the three Insights I have owned, I have never had that problem. Are they attached (zipped up?) properly at the back?

Congratulations on your purchases, I would love to buy a new Insight!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts