Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Honda Insight CVT 160K and 2010 Honda Insight 106K w/NAV
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my 2006 this past Sunday. New 12v battery installed, Maine state inspection found no issues. Took it to my brothers this afternoon to change plugs and fluids. He thought he had the wrong socket because it wouldn’t catch on the plugs... but turns out all 3 were so loose they just spun out by hand with no resistance. All were marked A but the engine marks were clearly C C C. Also found a mouse nest in the air filter. It’s running much better now!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Picked up my 2006 this past Sunday. New 12v battery installed, Maine state inspection found no issues. Took it to my brothers this afternoon to change plugs and fluids. He thought he had the wrong socket because it wouldn’t catch on the plugs... but turns out all 3 were so loose they just spun out by hand with no resistance. All were marked A but the engine marks were clearly C C C. Also found a mouse nest in the air filter. It’s running much better now!
I had a plug blow right out of cylinder #1 on a 2000 MT I bought at a yard sale - single mature owner, religiously dealer maintained. The coil was filthy, as was the one on cylinder #2, so it was loose too. #3 was OK. Luckily the head threads chased OK, and it seems fine.
It is a good idea to at least look at the coils occasionally to make sure they are clean, not showing blow-by from loose plugs. I guess the dealer didn't torque them well.
The car also had 1 1/2 quarts too much oil, which I drained before I drove it home. Dealers are often not the best choice for service on these cars.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Insight CVT 160K and 2010 Honda Insight 106K w/NAV
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The coil was filthy, as was the one on cylinder #2, so it was loose too. #3 was OK. Luckily the head threads chased OK, and it seems fine.
It is a good idea to at least look at the coils occasionally to make sure they are clean, not showing blow-by from loose plugs.
All the plugs and coils were filthy with soot. I figured it was running rough because the plugs had 160k miles on them but I’m assuming it came off the line with 3 C plugs and the current A plugs must have been installed at a dealership fairly recently.

·
Super Moderator
897 Posts
Spark plugs not getting torqued tight enough is a fairly common problem with the Insight.

The torque spec from Honda is 17ft-lbs. On Insights with loose spark plugs, I generally see spark plugs who's captive crush washer was never fully compressed. This means that they were not sufficiently tightened when installed.

When I install new spark plugs into an Insight (Using my Snap-on 3/8in TechAngle Torque wrench), I repeatedly apply 17ft-lbs of torque until the spark plug stops turning. While doing this, the spark plug will rotate an additional half to three-quarters of a turn after I hit 17ft-lbs the first time.

If the person who is installing the spark plugs into your Insight doesn't understand what's happening, it's easy to blindly follow the spec given by Honda and also leave the spark plugs in a woefully under-tightened state. It's basically necessary to torque each spark plug to 17ft-lbs at least five times (or until it stops turning as you apply the specified 17ft-lbs of torque).

Hopefully this makes some degree of sense and isn't about as clear as mud.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,701 Posts
Sorry Bull Dog, bad URL link on post #5.

·
Super Moderator
897 Posts
Willie thanks for the heads up. I think I have it fixed now. Turns out Snap-on's website likes to give you invalid URLs...

Geocougar, I've not specifically paid attention to where the electrode winds up after I finish torqueing the spark plugs. I've taken it on faith from Honda that after installing the correct A, B, or C spark plugs, the electrode winds up where it should.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,701 Posts
I know which container they are in............ at the Long Beach harbor. LOL

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,701 Posts

·
Super Moderator
897 Posts
Thanks, I'll try them and see if they have any. Painful to pay $17 for one plug but that is how it goes nowadays I guess!
Dougie, please understand I'm not picking specifically on you. This comment about spark plugs (and other things) are "expensive" is a recurring theme I've seen around here and it grates on me.

At time of writing, the list price for the NGK ILZFR5A11 indexed spark plug from Honda is approximately $27. The Gen 1 Insight only takes three spark plugs. Further, these are high quality, genuine, name brand iridium spark plugs that are rated to last for 100,000 miles.

At list price, a set of three Indexed spark plugs from Honda is only $81. This compares quite favorably to the likes of the 2003-2005 Honda Civic Hybrid which takes eight spark plugs that retail from Honda at $25 each, or $200 for a replacement set.

I don't understand why some folks on this forum find it necessary to complain about spending $81 on spark plugs that will last 100,000 miles. That is less than one tenth of a cent per mile!

All things considered, the correct spark plugs from Honda are a good value.

In lieu of making my post even longer, I strongly suggest looking up, "The difference between cheap and frugal" in your Internet search engine of choice.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Spark plugs not getting torqued tight enough is a fairly common problem with the Insight.

The torque spec from Honda is 17ft-lbs. On Insights with loose spark plugs, I generally see spark plugs who's captive crush washer was never fully compressed. This means that they were not sufficiently tightened when installed.

When I install new spark plugs into an Insight (Using my Snap-on 3/8in TechAngle Torque wrench), I repeatedly apply 17ft-lbs of torque until the spark plug stops turning. While doing this, the spark plug will rotate an additional half to three-quarters of a turn after I hit 17ft-lbs the first time.

If the person who is installing the spark plugs into your Insight doesn't understand what's happening, it's easy to blindly follow the spec given by Honda and also leave the spark plugs in a woefully under-tightened state. It's basically necessary to torque each spark plug to 17ft-lbs at least five times (or until it stops turning as you apply the specified 17ft-lbs of torque).

Hopefully this makes some degree of sense and isn't about as clear as mud.
Good to know. I should check mine. My DPO put in new plugs before I bought it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sorry Bull Dog, bad URL link on post #5.
Interesting that all issues mentioned seem to be a common occurrence. I had a 2000 which had been dealer serviced that had A plugs in B stamped head. Years ago I took my car in for oil changes at Honda and on all occasions found the oil way overfilled. The mice in my area seem to like the area on top of the gas tank. Now I try to do all maintenance myself.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Interesting that all issues mentioned seem to be a common occurrence. I had a 2000 which had been dealer serviced that had A plugs in B stamped head. Years ago I took my car in for oil changes at Honda and on all occasions found the oil way overfilled. The mice in my area seem to like the area on top of the gas tank. Now I try to do all maintenance myself.
Forgot to add, the plugs were only very lightly tightened. So glad folks on this Forum have made note of this to give us all a heads up.

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
Inter
Dougie, please understand I'm not picking specifically on you. This comment about spark plugs (and other things) are "expensive" is a recurring theme I've seen around here and it grates on me.

At time of writing, the list price for the NGK ILZFR5A11 indexed spark plug from Honda is approximately $27. The Gen 1 Insight only takes three spark plugs. Further, these are high quality, genuine, name brand iridium spark plugs that are rated to last for 100,000 miles.

At list price, a set of three Indexed spark plugs from Honda is only $81. This compares quite favorably to the likes of the 2003-2005 Honda Civic Hybrid which takes eight spark plugs that retail from Honda at $25 each, or $200 for a replacement set.

I don't understand why some folks on this forum find it necessary to complain about spending $81 on spark plugs that will last 100,000 miles. That is less than one tenth of a cent per mile!

All things considered, the correct spark plugs from Honda are a good value.

In lieu of making my post even longer, I strongly suggest looking up, "The difference between cheap and frugal" in your Internet search engine of choice.
Amen to that.

Although I would like to note they are expensive, I can get a full set of spark plugs(5) OEM Volvo for my S60R that are iridium and rated for 100k miles (and are rated for 15psi boost) for 60 bucks, which comes out to 12$ a spark plug. However, the insight has a low sell rate vs Volvo plugs which were used in basically every Volvo whiteblock from the late 90's until 2015, so they can sell more volume at a lower cost instead of having to store and keep around plugs that I'm sure don't sell even at 1/10th the rate.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
My first car was a 1960 VW bug, and nothing was supposed to change. Spark plugs cost DM 2.75, which in 1965 was 68 cents. Anything more than that is highway robbery!!! :)

Font Pattern Paper Paper product Handwriting

1 - 20 of 22 Posts