Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I let you guys know I have replaced my brake discs & pads at 53,000miles.

The discs had warped so I thought I'd do the full overhaul.

Anyway, the fact is that it was an absolute.............pleasure!!!!! :D

I managed to do the whole job in 45mins, no skinned knuckles, no siezed fasteners, just simple plain sailing.

So THANK YOU MR HONDA for using quality materials that don't corrode & sieze up.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Mark
I just did mine today for the first time, at 103K .
The driver side had a brake pad that was stuck and was dragging. I was told by one of the mechanics at the Up Your Volts training event that one should remove the little stainless shims and file off the rust that builds up under it since it will force the shims against the pad and cause it to jam. I was pretty impressed that after 100K things came apart easily, and I still had some pad left.
Thank you Mr Honda.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
I just replaced mine last week at 158K miles, there was a little left on the pads, but didn't want to take a chance. everything came up easy, I inspected them at 100K and at 125K.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Wow, that is pretty interesting. I wish my Insight were more aggressive on regen. I don't like it cutting out so early in 5th, 4th, and sometimes even 3rd gear.

I understand much of this has to do with the rotational speed of the engine (and therefore the flywheel/motor) due to the gear I'm in, but I still don't like it.

I have played with downshifting to maximize regen/minimize brake use, but I have a philosophical problem with downshifting for coming to a stop.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I made the mistake of assuming my Insight front brakes would last as long as my 88 CRX Si's brakes which I replaced at 105K. I started hearing a slight scraping noise on my Insight last week at 46K miles which I assumed was the wear indicators. When I checked the pads on Saturday, it was too late, the rotors were shot! Spent all day trying to locate pads and rotors. After about the 5'th auto parts store I found brand new rotors at Autozone for $14.99 each. I had to order pads and wait 3 days. Finally came in yesterday and plan on changing them tomorrow as it's pouring rain today. I hope the job is as easy as some have found. What kind of mileage are people getting on the rear brakes before having to change them?

·
Registered
338 Posts
cool

OEM rotors and pads on order.....96k miles
I'll let ya know how it goes....

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Rotors and pads don't age like tires, so it's a good idea to buy them before you need them and store. That way you can get a better deal on parts and have much less stress and waist time trying to rush to get them when the day comes that you NEED brake parts for your Insight.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Changed my front pads at around 123,000 and they still had some life left. original rear shoes still on at 139,000 and looks like they will last to >200,000. I use very little mechanical braking.

·
Registered
338 Posts
LoNOx 1 said:
I use very little mechanical braking.
THAT is the key.....man I love this car.....

·
Registered
274 Posts
Finally got around to doing the brakes this weekend. First problem. Waited 3 days for front brake pads for an 02 Insight CVT. Jacked up car, removed wheel, caliper, pads, and rotor. Opened box of pads and noticed they looked nothing like the pads I had just removed. I called parts store and they assured me I had the correct pads. So, now I have brakes all apart and the wrong pads to install. I call the next nearest auto parts store and they happen to have pads for an 02 Insight CVT. I take the wifes car and drive 25 miles bringing the other new pads and the old pads to the second parts store (NAPA) and he proceeds to hand me the same incorrect brake pads and assures me they are for an 02 CVT. I show him the pads that came off the car and how the new pads are nothing like them. He checks the computer again and it shows a different listing for 03 Insight CVT's than an 02. He happens to have them in stock and they are indeed the correct pads. I purchase them and stop at other parts store (Autozone) to return the incorrect pads. I question him again and his computer shows the same thing as NAPA. It appears that there is an incorrect listing for 02 Insight CVT front brake pads as all 3 parts stores with different brake pad manufacturer's (Wagner and Raybestos) showed the same thing.
So, I suppose I should have just spent the extra $$$ and gotten Honda OEM pads and saved myself alot of aggravation.

Anyhow, while doing the brakes it seems 3 of the 4 pads still had alot of pad left. The noise I was hearing was the passenger side wear indicator dragging on the caliper. That pad was worn down completely. Apparently the caliper hasn't been retracting all the way. I cleaned everything up and the brakes seem fine now. I will have to keep a check on the caliper to make sure it is not hanging up. Just a heads up for any 02 CVT owners planning on replacing their front brakes. I haven't needed rear brakes yet so I can't say if there is a part # problem as well.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Just wanted to mention that the discs from the Insight have the same part-number as the ones fitted on an '86 Honda CRX 1,6-16.
I don't know if this model CRX with 130 hp was available in North-America or the UK, but it was available here in Germany and my dealer when ordering the parts was very astonished to somehow know this particular part-number even though he never ordered this part before. He looked through old micro-fiches and finally found the equivalent...

Why make up something completely new if you can use something trustworthy and reliable !
;)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
yes No.166 the Insight front rotors are the same as the first generation CRX with vented front rotors that was available in North America.
That's why Brembo and other aftermarket brands sell rotors that fit the Insight.
Brembo blank rotors are easily equal or better quality then OEM honda rotors and depending on where you buy them they can be less then half the price compared to buying OEM rotors from a Honda dealer.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
No. 166 said:
Why make up something completely new if you can use something trustworthy and reliable !
;)
Who said "they" did :?: ;)

Could be part of a part number "modification" only.

But I wonder about any weight difference :?:

Yes maybe its only a few ounces, but when you designing the highest MPG vehicle ever put in production by a main line automobile manufacturer each bit adds up :!:

·
Registered
348 Posts
The brake-discs should be the last thing getting weight reduced.
Safety comes first, before everything, imo .

When I remember rightly, the brake-caliper and bracket is of a special type, where the system has been carefully revised for weight reduction.

;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts