Honda Insight Forum banner

Just Failed Annual Inspection: Too many "NOT READY&quot

7K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Insightful Trekker 
#1 ·
I can't believe I just failed twice the annual inspection on my Insight. The first one was on June 7th and it shows 4 Not Readys:

Catalyst
Evap
O2 Sens
EGR Sys

I don't believe them because I know I have only catalyst problem and nothing else. So I let them did it again on the 18th. And it shows 3 Not Readys this time:

Catalyst
Evap
EGR Sys

I know I need to replace the catalyst converter because I keep getting P0420 codes for almost a year now. I noticed if the code appears only once, it won't turn on the CEL. But if it appears twice, it will turn on the light. Also the CEL won't be on during highway driving.

I just ordered the converter online. But anybody here knows if it will fix all the "Not Ready" problems? What will cause Evap and EGR Sys. not ready?

Thanks!

BTW, I have a OBD reader in the car and deleted the two P0420 codes before each inspection. Do you think this may cause those not readys? I know for some cars, it may take awhile for everything to get ready after you disconnect the battery.

See less See more
#3 ·
Texas. For 94 (or 96) or newer cars with OBD. They don't actually test emission like they do on old cars. They just hook up their computer with your car computer and read the respond from the car. If everything shows "ready", they just assume you passed the emission test.

Even my '94 Bronco can still pass the real emission test. That's why I just can't believe my Insight failed it.

#4 ·
When you clear the codes, you MUST drive around for a while (50-60 miles) or else, the inspection computer will provide a "not ready" signal. This will be detailed in your OBDII owner's manual. ;)

#5 ·
But I knew if I drive 50-60 miles, my CEL will be either on or there will be one P0420 code in the computer. If the CEL is on, they don't even want to do the inspection. This is in their manual. :D

#7 ·
Thanks! That will be great!

But my problem with this kind of inspection is I didn't actually fail the "emissions". They didn't measure any emissions from my car at all. If they did, I am sure I would have passed it. I just don't believe my '94 Bronco emits less than Insight and that one passes real emission tests without any problems for the last 12 years! But what can I do, it's a state law!

#8 ·
It would be kinda funny if you could get them to do a real sniffer test on your Insight. I wonder if an O2 simulator would work on an Insight.

#9 ·
I don't know if anybody here tried it before. I also don't know if you noticed this: Now they even have this kind of vans parked by some highway entrances. They set up some equipment to measure your emission when you pass them. If you fail, they will send a letter to your house and ask you to fix your car. In other words, they don't even need to touch your car in order to get all emission numbers.

#11 ·
It's been awhile, but I have the answer to one of the questions from WhyHonda.

Mine is also a 2001, and I also have the service manuals. This is where I get the following information, from the Fuel and Emissions section of the manual. I have had to set the EGR ready code.

The Insight has an emissions readiness indicator that most are probably not aware of. Turn on the ignition key, but do not start the ICE. Watch the check engine indicator. It will remain steady "ON" for quite some time, ~30 seconds. If all the emissions readiness codes are "READY" it will go out. If there are some readiness codes that are not set, it will "BLINK" for about 5 times before it goes out. Most owners probably start the ICE before they see the indicator blink.

The EGR code is set to "READY" by this:

Drive the vehicle long enough to get the coolant temp up to the 6 bar point. Hold 50-62mph, in 4th gear for longer than 10 seconds, declerate from 62mph (completly let up, so the regen bars show up) for 5 seconds, and this will set the EGR code to "READY".

This can then be verified with the OBD reader.

(edited for clarity)
Randall

#12 ·
This kind of technology has been around for over a decade now:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... A965958260

For technical details: http://www.epa.gov/appcdwww/ecpb/public ... RSDrpt.pdf

What else you need to be convinced they are white vans instead of black helicopters? I will take some pictures next time I pass them.

Insightful Trekker said:
WhyHonda said:
Now they even have this kind of vans parked by some highway entrances.
:lol: Withe a "black" silent helicopter hovering nearby :?: Don't think so.

#13 ·
It could only happen in NY.

It's amazing what they come up using "Grant Money".

Here is another thing I found out reading an article in one of the local papers.

"NY will require "all taxis" in NYC to be of the "HYBRID" design by 2010."
Now that will help and makes a little more sence.

I wonder how much money that "grant" is?

Willie

#14 ·
Ok their "white" vans. :oops: :p

And Yes I would NOT debate that realtime roadside samples are well within the realm of 10 year old technology.

BUT being able to definitively link a sample to a passing car _will_ be subject to _many_ variables that except under specific and or controlled conditions would NOT be "readily" achieveable.

Read the first paragraph (Abstract) of your EPA link.

Now the guys in the black helicopters... They could do it :!: ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.