Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 338 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a car for 10 months yes I'm in my infancy compared to the top guys on here. I use the heated air intake for better mileage even at 86° it pays to keep it on 10 miles to the gallon bonus in late May. I went to Lowe's and bought 12 feet long piece of tuftex clear poly carbonate skylight material for a barn. It goes from front bumper to back bumper drilled several holes and zip tied to bottom of car for the under tray. It works perfect don't know how efficient it is. Tires Bridgestone 92's psi 90 pounds yes 90 pounds I have aired up the tires 5 pounds a month more slowly taking chances. Just like Some members did 10 years ago. I'm getting 150 miles per gallon to work highway only. City traffic 70 to 87 miles per gallon . Got The yellow spare wheels 4in all guess what.? Not as efficient as 92's air them up to 90 pounds pressure before they equal performance of Potenza's. Only had the donuts on2 back positions. Going to put RE 92 on the yellow rIms soon. Not impressed with them so far at 60 pounds pressure 2 in the back of car it was like dragging a anvil. My next project will be taking out rear hatch 90 pounds weight replacing with 48 inch wide tuftex 8 feet long yes I'm going to have a see-through boat tail and I think it will look good and perform. I can get away with this I live in a small county little traffic mostly farming. I have friends that if I have a tire blow out they'll come help. Also took out rider seat noticed no improvement on mileage. Will also be taking out 70 pound battery with IMA bypass thanks to John and Harry. I have only copied other members progress except for one thing i'll save that for later. My thought is the best way to get better mileage air up the tires. It should be illegal that the people of America can't by car tires with a PSI of 100 or more. To me 44 pounds pressure is running on a flat. I drive semi trucks 120 pound pressure tires . If you take the weight of a semi truck and how much fuel it burns it's the most efficient vehicle on US Highway's. Anyway I was reading about the 505 ECUs from Firefox – diamond Larry – and Jeff from 10 years ago that's what motivated me to take these changes. My hobby is the Honda insight I love the smell of aluminum early in the morning thank all you guys who have made this website available to ordinary people like me. You may have noticed i'm not an electrical engineer or computer genius but the simple stuff pays off too.

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts
NathanC: please include your location in your profile, as almost all G1 Insighters have done.
Large truck tires are a different construction and ply than most automobile tires so you can run extra high pressure.

Thank you
Willie

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I have a grill block upper and lower. When you're burning less than a ounce of gas to the mile not a lot of heat. I have studied all the top guys on here I have even taken off the muffler no improvement on mileage but 8 less pounds. I still haven't mentioned my improvement it's probably been done before. Find a flexible sponge or plastic sponge shipping material . Place it under the gas pedal needs to be slightly larger than gas pedal. Thickness should fit tight between gas pedal and floor. Why in my case when I push down the pedal stays in position without thought easy to stay in lean burn. When I push the pedal very hard top speed 60 mile an hour . Took me three days to get used to it now I don't notice it. It works for me it's a low-tech throttle position sensor how efficient hard to say but I easily stay in lean burn . I have read where people have foot pain trying to stay in leanburn this takes out all The guesswork if you know how to stay in leanburn this makes it 10 times easier . Try it cost less than a dollar.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
West Tennessee and I live in a good location for great mileage. If I live 10 miles further north terrible hills much less than 150 to the gallon . I have also removed passenger door mirror for better aerodynamics. On YouTube look up first Japanese advertisement of 2000 Honda insight. It shows wind tunnel test on the car when the smoke hits the mirror you'll see why I took it off. Other members have also removed theirs .

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Hi NathanC,

I appreciate your post! Have any pictures?

I've replaced my driver and passenger mirrors with cameras, which is something you might consider. Parts are mostly from eBay and very inexpensive.

My guess is that you'll find you lose economy overall with the IMA battery removed; I've found weight reduction has very little improvement when compared with aero changes and reduced rolling resistance. Auto-stop can be modified to work at higher speeds (shut off engine when rolling downhill), and it's a huge fuel saver in the city. Additionally, any time the extra acceleration helps keep revs down, it's a net win.

You're also likely to lose a lot of fuel economy if you replace the curved hatch glass with a flat sheet - the slop of flat glass will be too steep and cause flow separation, which would defeat the purpose of extending the car with a boat tail. If you replace the glass, use something with a compound curve.

Have you yet removed your antenna base and rear winder washer fluid nozzle?

Would you be willing to post some pictures of your underbody modifications?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've only had a smart phone for year and no neighbors. I have friends that will help me take pictures and post them. I do intend to keep the curvature of the backglass using a yardstick and have it copy the dimensions of the removed hatchback. Also Toyota prime Prius has a cleavage back hatch I will experiment with to copy its dimensions. Prius prime hatch cost $3100 my replacement will be less than $80 plus it's a boat tail. Another detail to get 50 inch wide tuftex make friends with a green house owner they have a business license to purchase wide sheets of poly carbonate Discovered wide wide sheets of poly carbonate on YouTube look up Lock building supplies somewhere in Oregon. The sheets are made in Pennsylvania. The corrugated ridges give the plastic strength. I'm open for suggestions everything I do is copy the greats on here. I do have a little farmers know how and aware of many different products that will laid aid the cars performance. Did I mention I love the smell of aluminum in the morning?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have not removed antenna but I have been reading about you for several months Ecky. I have learned to do one mod at a time to see what the results are. Three or four at a time no idea what does what. Oil change took my car three days to get mileage back from fresh oil change. Like new tires take 200 miles before they help your mileage . I learned that from Jim and dog bite. My car will pay for itself in one year time on fuel savings from driving a diesel Ford truck. I've used two tanks of diesel in last 10 months since getting car. I've also learned put trailer tires on the truck they are not as wide taller and weigh less than mud grips they give me 4 miles to the gallon improvement on truck. In my opinion the insight is the canary in the coal mine it's affected by aerodynamics low tires rain storms headwinds tailwinds Good gas bad gas 10 times more than ordinary vehicles if it helps the insight a lot it will help the average car some. The ECUs having leanburn should be incorporated into the American fleet. But guess what they love to sell oil by a factor of four times more than they should that's four times more tax than you think your paying. I still want 120 pounds PSI tires for a 14 inch wheel for great mileage lean burn for my car and there should be a attractive boat tail business to add on the back of cars when they're older you know after you get The girl.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hi NathanC,

I appreciate your post! Have any pictures?

I've replaced my driver and passenger mirrors with cameras, which is something you might consider. Parts are mostly from eBay and very inexpensive.

My guess is that you'll find you lose economy overall with the IMA battery removed; I've found weight reduction has very little improvement when compared with aero changes and reduced rolling resistance. Auto-stop can be modified to work at higher speeds (shut off engine when rolling downhill), and it's a huge fuel saver in the city. Additionally, any time the extra acceleration helps keep revs down, it's a net win.

You're also likely to lose a lot of fuel economy if you replace the curved hatch glass with a flat sheet - the slop of flat glass will be too steep and cause flow separation, which would defeat the purpose of extending the car with a boat tail. If you replace the glass, use something with a compound curve.

Have you yet removed your antenna base and rear winder washer fluid nozzle?

Would you be willing to post some pictures of your underbody modifications?
What are those that you're using to plug through washer nozzle and antenna holes? I dont have much interest in deleting the antenna but have the washer sprayer, I can't decide on a good way to plug the hole though.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
What are those that you're using to plug through washer nozzle and antenna holes? I dont have much interest in deleting the antenna but have the washer sprayer, I can't decide on a good way to plug the hole though.
I had them custom made, they're a one-off.

https://www.ebay.com/str/alloyandcarbon

They were willing to do both for me for the price of one. They may still have the plans to fit an Insight.

EDIT: I also pulled all of the tubing out, through the firewall and up to the pump in the washer reservoir.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was wondering if clutch switch mod Would be equal to IMA bypass. I also use brake switch but a lot less than last year it seems to overpower my weak battery. I never use Electric motor to go faster I think if you give it enough gas the electric motor pop on. That's too much gas to give. On Regent it's nice to slow down without breaks but it's more efficient to drive slow and let gravity stop the car . I can get away with it because I live in the country not much traffic. I do understand city traffic you got to get up and go or you might get shot ha ha. I would like to have another car both seats good battery garage Queen to compare to my aluminum addiction. One more thing I have watched Peter Perkins YouTube 13 mile commute so many times I now have A English accent Jolly good show look under the bonnet and Pass the Lorry

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,448 Posts
I'm going to promote my own product here, but...

- Get a clutch switch, easy enough
- Leave it on lots of the time so IMA doesn't get depleted quickly
- Get my EFAS
- Use it in combination with clutch switch, I've got a board that connects the two actually

You'll be able to put the car into actual auto-stop instead of killing the engine. Benefits:
- Shift into gear to have IMA restart the car like normal Auto-Stop
- Get Lean Burn again in only 4 seconds after engine restart instead of 10 seconds after engine-kill FAS
- Keeps EPS on while you're coasting
- Will restart car immediately if brake-booster gets depleted so you don't have to worry about losing braking power on a sudden stop
- Computers don't get turned off temporarily on engine restart (accounts for a very small amt of time where dash doesn't record car's movement)

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts
Natalya:
While in FAS, does the engine restart if you "Blip" the throttle. VS putting in gear?

Willie

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's 2 o'clock in the morning nobody's listening got a question for you. These batteries go bad it's just a matter of time. The electric motor Parentheses when the ice motor is not burning fuel coasting downhill . The electric motor is sending a flow of electrons to the battery under the control of the BCM. The electric motor when the ice motor is burning fuel receives electrons stored in battery called assist. What if when the battery goes bad and the BCM and MCM are done away with for the IMA bypass what if on Regent electricity went to a half gallon of soda or salt water for electrolysis . Trade battery for half gallon of water container. Electrolysis takes enormous amounts electricity that would slow the car down instead of using mechanical brakes And creating heat. The oxygen and hydrogen produced from electric flow in water could then be harvested by the ice motor or call it assist. When the gas motor calls for air intake a rubber hose with one-way valve would be pulled in by the motor and used. In other words when you want the car to slow down electric motor produces flow of electrons plus soda water equals hydrogen and oxygen or regent. When you get ready to go back uphill ice motor sucks in huge amounts of air The oxygen and hydrogen produced moments before go into the combustion chamber or assist. To put it simple would it be possible to replace the $2000 battery With a halfgallon of water. And use the BCM and MCM to control the flow of electricity to the water like it does to the battery. I know that most of the benefit would be too slow The car down. But might as well use the oxygen and hydrogen it's there anyway. What do you think ? Just your normal 2 o'clock in the morning question. My car uses 2 gallons of gas in 10 days so a half gallon of water should last a month or more.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I charge hybrid battery for 12 hours I use a grid charger. To discharge and I really do this i use a drinking glass of salt water I tape two pieces of aluminum foil to the top of the glass connect connector wires to the battery and produce oxygen and hydrogen. If it seems to be going to slow I add a little more salt . More salt more oxygen hydrogen bubbles that's the control. So I know I can discharge the battery with electrolysis. Why not discharge electric motor same way on regent by the computers?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I drive a semi truck and huge tractors. My point of View is 10 feet up looking down on little cars. I have noticed on very old cars that have not been waxed or kelp in garage have something in common. When the air travels over the roof I thought The rub zone or most powerful contact zone on roof would be between the two seats over head. It's not there's two zones one above each seat each is 1 foot wide .if dead center between seats on top of roof Had a different shape could that aid in aerodynamics ? I've noticed a lot of super sport cars have a roof that is lower in Center of roof than over the seats. It would be easy to try it on the insight. The center of the roof is very flexible what do you think Ecky? When I thought about bending the roof in the center I noticed it might pay off more inthe hatch the top of the roof of the insight is beautiful so Is the hatch but the hatch can be taken off and put back on. That's when I got the idea for a poly carbonate hatch with the dip in the center like the Toyota Prius prime. To me beautiful usually equals aerodynamic the distance from top of front windshield to top of back hatch is too short for the dip to look attractive but would probably be more aerodynamic. I'm glad people don't wax their cars or keep in garage because the two patterns speak volumes on airflow.

1 - 20 of 338 Posts