the things you've already done. I've bought a few Insights, and the one
thing people in general don't do is change their transmission fluid. I do
it anyway for my own peace of mind. The other overlooked item is to
change the cabin air filter. You will find all kinds of interesting cohabitants
as un unexpected bonus. ☺

·
Registered
116 Posts
One of the silver ones is Mike, an older german gentleman who runs the Neighborhood Wrench, on the northside.
I’m pretty sure Mike’s is the wrecked CVT. I went to look at it, and he gave me a card for his garage. Interesting guy.

He went off the road into a ditch and peeled the oil pan off the engine. Some front end and fender damage. A year ago he wanted $600 for the car, which had been sitting in a weedy lot with no oil pan for some time already.

I thought about it, but I don’t have space to store it or time to rob parts off it right now.

- Park

·
Super Moderator
4,934 Posts
Those big, heavy tires are killing you. Change them to RE-92s on stock rims and it will be a totally different car. Then fix the IMA and it will be a GREAT car!

I don't understand this 12V stuff. It doesn't DO anything and doesn't need to be anything fancy. A $25 WalMart lawnmower battery ($40 for the "big" one) works fine. I have both in a couple of my Insights.

Sam

·
Super Moderator
4,934 Posts
Hi Mat,
I have a blue MT and a silver CVT. Some things I experienced, one, your intake manifold egr plate is probably very filthy, clean it ASAP! Car will run a thousand times smoother and gain you around 10mpgs depending upon how bad it is. There is a YouTube video on that. Be very careful when you do this not to bump the knock sensor or it will break. In fact, people have mentioned reinforcing that with some good glue, there is a thread here about that I believe, air pressure and under belly pans also make a very noticeable difference in mpgs. If you are missing pieces contact Scott for a one piece belly pan. Get the right tires, the talk about vredsteins being very good rollers compared to the now discontinued RE92s are a good start. Everyone here, that I have met, are really helpful, take a good look at your brake lines under, my blue we’re rotted. If they need replacing....if... try to make sure they don’t. I still haven’t put blue on the road a year later, with new not rolled in RE92s and brake lines waiting to go in. I’m going to need to replace the bolts under the evap canister as they are so rusted and of course the rear subframe lca bushings are shot. Waiting till it gets warmer to pull it all off, bead and either paint or powder and replace those bushings with the method mentioned in one of the forums. You can get springs and shocks from Scott as well. There are substitutions for the suspension bushings in front. Will take a little work but you will fall In love with this little rocket pod. Lol welcome.
RE92s discontinued? Please provide a verified reference. I am sure this is incorrect.

Sam

·
Registered
593 Posts
RE92s discontinued? Please provide a verified reference. I am sure this is incorrect.

Sam
Seems to be available

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I did the EGR service yesterday, took around 20 minutes to knock out, the passages were not completely blocked, but boy oh boy, there was a ton of garbage collected.

good ol carb cleaner melted it to nothing in some spots, others I used a hardened pick to loosen up and let the carb cleaner get underneath, where it literally fell off.

Ecky, I plan on going through the entire suspension as far as I can. Everything that can wear, IS worn out pretty bad.

Was gonna start with GAZ shocks and try to find a good insert for the front, and leave springs alone til I finally decide which car is going to be born (refreshed or K'd).

Overall, car seemed to respond much better, seemed to go into lean burn even as low as 2k rpm in 3rd gear, roughly 30mph if I remember correctly. Was odd seeing a mpg gauge read over 75mpg at that low of a speed. Not going to argue it!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Also, Walmart stocks RE92's for 90-95 bucks each

·
Super Moderator
4,934 Posts
I did my homework and I know all of this. The point is that the OP needs to either verify (which he can't) or retract his "Discontinued" statement. We don't need misleading information like this out there.

Sam

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
....I don't understand this 12V stuff. It doesn't DO anything and doesn't need to be anything fancy. A $25 WalMart lawnmower battery ($40 for the "big" one) works fine. I have both in a couple of my Insights.
But surely you do understand this stuff: https://www.insightcentral.net/threads/lithium-jump-starters.84969

But now I've found this one: Antigravity Small Case 4-Cell 120CA Lithium Ion Battery - RevZilla It seems to be designed to live in place of the normal battery. Hmmmmm. The Cool Factor is right up there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I tested my battery pack made up of 8 headway 38120 cells.

Holy crap, the power. I connected all 8 together + and - to balanced each other, let them sit overnight.

Used this to make building quite easy

Jumpered it to the underhood posts of my cadillac, and removed the big main battery under the rear bench seat.

Engine fired up like a semi truck was spinning it over.

Compared to the Insight's 51 series battery, it is roughly 1/3 the weight, and should quite easily power a stereo during longer traffic stops in "auto-stop" mode.

That is largely the reason I like messing around with lithium batteries. More 12v performance at sometimes a fraction of the weight.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Welcome to Insight Central. Looks like you are well on your way with
the things you've already done. I've bought a few Insights, and the one
thing people in general don't do is change their transmission fluid. I do
it anyway for my own peace of mind. The other overlooked item is to
change the cabin air filter. You will find all kinds of interesting cohabitants
as un unexpected bonus. ☺
For all 90s-present honda manuals, I use Synchromesh. Massive upgrade in terms of fluid performance, stability, shifting quality, and thermal reaction.

Never notchy when cold, buttery smooth even when fully warmed up in the summer, and always looks brand new during yearly changes.

Been using it for going on 15 years now, ever since my first honda (pretty much owned a honda vehicle every year since then, record being 5 at once lol)

EDIT Pennzoil or GM synchromesh, same stuff. Yellow 1 quart tall bottle at parts stores

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’ve had my 2006 for 108,000 miles: it’s my 90th car & I did vehicle diagnostics for about 20 yrs. in my opinion:

Draining battery on a long hill is normal
No low end torque is normal
Atrocious ride over bumps is normal

I suggest a couple months driving before you hack into too much.
Many new owners buy Insights as if they were rescue puppies, but they aren’t.

Honda knows a lot about light weight, high perf motorcycles and cars; the Insight benefitted from that knowledge. But they have subtle and unusual problems so it’s best to absorb a little here and from driving it, THEN chart a plan of action.

Enjoy the car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I’ve had my 2006 for 108,000 miles: it’s my 90th car & I did vehicle diagnostics for about 20 yrs. in my opinion:

No low end torque is normal
Atrocious ride over bumps is normal

I suggest a couple months driving before you hack into too much.
Many new owners buy Insights as if they were rescue puppies, but they aren’t.

Honda knows a lot about light weight, high perf motorcycles and cars; the Insight benefitted from that knowledge. But they have subtle and unusual problems so it’s best to absorb a little here and from driving it, THEN chart a plan of action.

Enjoy the car.
While I am indeed new to the platform, there are many characteristics of wear and tear that present themselves regardless of how new the experience is.

Hesitation, lack of throttle response, odd and seemingly random low rpm response is something I have noticed with this car.

As such, attention is required.

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of looking at the suspension. Leaking struts and shocks (and corroded), torn bushings, a flimsy screwdriver can pry and move the front control arm bushings, and I can grab the front swaybar by hand and tug it around quite a bit.

This car is the shining example of how light weight can truly hide just how bad something truly is.

If this car were to weigh even 3-400 extra pounds, these suspension issues would be deadly to most unknowing/uncaring drivers.

I have so far put about 1200 miles on this car. Started the 3rd tank of fuel on Monday. Popped the P0420 code yet again.

I think I may go ahead and de-cat it, straight pipe it to the back, and run a small Honda CBR muffler I have laying around. Should bring up the engines ability to breathe properly without spending a lot of money, and the small bike muffler should keep it quiet.

EDIT I have not heard back via email from Scotty // KiLLR3CYL? (bad memory). Anyone recently heard from him? Interested in his bottom plate and the GAZ rear shocks, and perhaps any other tidbits he may offer. He seems to be quite the awesome Insight support chain.

·
Premium Member
10,321 Posts
Scott does accept real phone calls. Try calling during normal work hours.
I talk to him on just about a weekly basis. He is doing good.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Scott is as busy as the legendary paper hanger with hives. He will catch up with you. He is a wealth of experience on just how these cars work. His repairs and recommendations are excellent. I like to think of him as The Insight Whisperer.

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
Previous owner already had a grid charger installed, as the battery pack is indeed very very tired. Does okay all day of normal driving, but the first big hill diminishes the pack, and must be driven carefully to bring it back up....

No low end torque is normal....
Draining the pack on a long (or "big") hill is normal -- for a car with a bad pack. No low end torque -- same, normal for bad pack. If you had a good pack you'd be able to scamper up steep hills at very low RPM (~1000 to 1900), but you'd need to exercise the throttle way more liberally than you'd ever think possible, such as using the 1/2 to full throttle range even though RPMs are so low and you're on a steep hill. In a normal car you'd lug the engine... With a good pack you should be able to hold decent assist (~20 amps, ~2.8kW) up a long hill for about 9 minutes before the pack is empty, assuming it were near car-full to start. I find that covers most hills except when you get into mountainous terrain, like a mountain pass.

Basically, if you have a bad pack and you have no idea what a good one feels like, it'd be nearly impossible to sort out what bad performance characteristics might be ICE-related and what are IMA/pack related.

....Hesitation, lack of throttle response, odd and seemingly random low rpm response is something I have noticed with this car.
Most of this is probably pack/IMA/possibly 12V issues (since you said it had a bad 12V battery, too). Some of it might be just the different feel of the hybrid - you really need to exercise the throttle in this car to get performance comparable to normal cars. With a bad pack the car will feel gutless, especially at under 2500 RPM, like you'll depress the throttle and feel like it hardly does anything. Even with a good pack it will seem as if there's 'bad throttle response' because that's just the way it's designed, to make the hybrid system work. It takes some getting used to. But, with a bad pack, it will always feel lame under about 2500 RPM, not to mention a bad pack can cause other issues, like constant background charging, which robs even more power...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Performance is not at all the intention.

A simple old CBR muffler is narrow and short, and will pass a visual inspection.

I work on a military base, so visual is everything when going through the access gate.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts